Rate the Ref v Grimsby - David Rock | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rate the Ref v Grimsby - David Rock

Rate the Ref v Grimsby

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 3.8%

Votes: 1 1.9%

Votes: 3 5.7%

Votes: 10 18.9%

Votes: 9 17.0%

Votes: 9 17.0%

Votes: 15 28.3%

Votes: 3 5.7%

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
Sep 25, 2010
Willis88":319068je said:
Martyn":319068je said:
Willis88":319068je said:
Martyn":319068je said:
JimC":319068je said:
Absolute shocker 2nd half.

Can anyone explain the drop ball? Stop us when we are about to score as they are pretending they have a head injury, then just give the drop ball to their keeper to play on?

Quite easily. It is because the injured player was lying in a active area, and could have suffered further damage if players going for the ball, and accidentally landing, or colliding with the prone player. The referee has to take into account, the safety of the player. The ball had already sailed over him, and the ball was again to be put into the box.

The referee stopped because of the current guidelines.

A drop ball now has to be uncontested

He should have stopped it 15 seconds earlier when play was outside of their box with us advancing.

The non-contested drop ball rule is rediculous. We were in a promising attacking position so if anything we should be given the ball back.

I hope we get out of the league, this season has seen the worst standard of officiating since I've been following Argyle.

The guy today was clueless, the Mayflower lino calling a throw the wrong way (even their player who kicked it out thought it was ours), Lyndy lino seemed to be watching another game and the ref was blowing for everything except when Hardie got manhandled to the ground.

The current referees are used in Div 1 and div 2, so donā€™t know what point you are making.

Thought the Lino, had a good game, got all the offsides totally correct.

We're stuck with these awful officials due to VAR sucking up the decent ones to the prem, thus we get ex-national league and lower.

So this lot are mostly first timers in the EFL. I think the first 4 or 5 refs we had this season we were their first EFL games, and it showed.

No it doesnā€™t, you give the impression that they are referring for the first time, they have been referring for at least 10/15 years, and done 5 years on the National League, I can tell you doing that League is no joke, and you cut your teeth in them.

Penlee

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Martyn":35i2xfn1 said:
Willis88":35i2xfn1 said:
Willis88":35i2xfn1 said:
JimC":35i2xfn1 said:

Can anyone explain the drop ball? Stop us when we are about to score as they are pretending they have a head injury, then just give the drop ball to their keeper to play on?

Quite easily. It is because the injured player was lying in a active area, and could have suffered further damage if players going for the ball, and accidentally landing, or colliding with the prone player. The referee has to take into account, the safety of the player. The ball had already sailed over him, and the ball was again to be put into the box.

He should have stopped it 15 seconds earlier when play was outside of their box with us advancing.

The non-contested drop ball rule is rediculous. We were in a promising attacking position so if anything we should be given the ball back.

I hope we get out of the league, this season has seen the worst standard of officiating since I've been following Argyle.

The guy today was clueless, the Mayflower lino calling a throw the wrong way (even their player who kicked it out thought it was ours), Lyndy lino seemed to be watching another game and the ref was blowing for everything except when Hardie got manhandled to the ground.

The current referees are used in Div 1 and div 2, so donā€™t know what point you are making.

We're stuck with these awful officials due to VAR sucking up the decent ones to the prem, thus we get ex-national league and lower.

So this lot are mostly first timers in the EFL. I think the first 4 or 5 refs we had this season we were their first EFL games, and it showed.

No it doesnā€™t, you give the impression that they are referring for the first time, they have been referring for at least 10/15 years, and done 5 years on the National League, I can tell you doing that League is no joke, and you cut your teeth in them.

You would think he'd know the rules then

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I felt he did OK last night. He kept up with play but he did make some strange decisions in the second half, when you enquired.what was that all about?' If the score had been tighter, I think spectators would have been less accepting.

Penlee

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Martyn":qovsrvcr said:
He does know the LAWS of the game, more than you do.

I take it back, the ref was right.

PROCEDURE

The ball is dropped for the defending team goalkeeper in their penalty area if, when play was stopped:
the ball was in the penalty area or
the last touch of the ball was in the penalty area
In all other cases, the referee drops the ball for one player of the team that last touched the ball at the position where it last touched a player, an outside agent or, as outlined in Law 9.1, a match official
All other players (of both teams) must remain at least 4 m (4.5 yds) from the ball until it is in play
The ball is in play when it touches the ground.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Penlee":x4zu116l said:
Martyn":x4zu116l said:

PROCEDURE

The ball is dropped for the defending team goalkeeper in their penalty area if, when play was stopped:
In all other cases, the referee drops the ball for one player of the team that last touched the ball at the position where it last touched a player, an outside agent or, as outlined in Law 9.1, a match official
All other players (of both teams) must remain at least 4 m (4.5 yds) from the ball until it is in play

Ok so a dropped ball outside the area may be annoying but I can live with it.
Drop ball given to the goalie in the penalty area even if the attacking team had the ball, the defence outnumbered and in disarray? Give it to the goalie?
I'd prefer to give the ref discretion: stop play when the ball is in the area? If attacking team were dominant and might have scored? Give a corner. If defence were 'winning' the ball or not likely to be a goal? Give a goal kick.
Much easier.

May 7, 2019
bringonthemilkman":2h46um1n said:
Did well until last 15 when he went to pieces. Baffling decision to restarti the game by giving ball to keeper when Hardie had the ball inside their box with their defence in disarray. He seemed to have a long chat with keeper when I presumed he was telling him to give it back to Argyle - the Grimsby commentary were thinking it unjust when they expected him to boot itdownfield to Palmer and couldnā€™t believe he used the dropped ball to try and set up an attack. A contested drop ball where Hardie had possession would have been more logical ..... but would still have robbed Argyle of a promising position.

Yeah, I had a good view of that incident as was sat in the Devonport End. I have no idea how the ref justified that decision to the players? Did not appear to be a head injury. Argyle had the ball in a very attacking position in the penalty area. And then the ref gives the ball to the Grimsby goalkeeper? :roll:

Imagine if Argyle were not 3-0 up and desperately needed a goal to win or draw? Decisions like this should be highlighted and referees should have to explain how they made such decisions and what rule they were following at the time. There needs to be far more accountability.

Sep 25, 2010
TheBoldman":1h6yko55 said:
bringonthemilkman":1h6yko55 said:
Did well until last 15 when he went to pieces. Baffling decision to restarti the game by giving ball to keeper when Hardie had the ball inside their box with their defence in disarray. He seemed to have a long chat with keeper when I presumed he was telling him to give it back to Argyle - the Grimsby commentary were thinking it unjust when they expected him to boot itdownfield to Palmer and couldnā€™t believe he used the dropped ball to try and set up an attack. A contested drop ball where Hardie had possession would have been more logical ..... but would still have robbed Argyle of a promising position.

Yeah, I had a good view of that incident as was sat in the Devonport End. I have no idea how the ref justified that decision to the players? Did not appear to be a head injury. Argyle had the ball in a very attacking position in the penalty area. And then the ref gives the ball to the Grimsby goalkeeper? :roll:

Imagine if Argyle were not 3-0 up and desperately needed a goal to win or draw? Decisions like this should be highlighted and referees should have to explain how they made such decisions and what rule they were following at the time. There needs to be far more accountability.

Read my reply on page 1

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Martyn":3g5jitdq said:
Willis88":3g5jitdq said:
Willis88":3g5jitdq said:
JimC":3g5jitdq said:

Look at the scores refs have received this season and you tell me they're all top quality.

A fair number of those getting sub 7 were refs in games we won.

I know you'll always defend them and never accept the truth about their performances, but accept it Martyn, they're a joke this season.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Penlee":3lk4plph said:
Martyn":3lk4plph said:

PROCEDURE

Then begs the question why he waited for the ball to go into the box before stopping play.

We had it outside of the box for a good 15 seconds before the cross came in, while their player was pretending to be injured waiting on the call.

Like others said, if we were drawing or 1 goal behind at that point that decision could potentially have had massive repercussions on our game and even season.

May 7, 2019
Martyn":2h6kn3a1 said:
TheBoldman":2h6kn3a1 said:
bringonthemilkman":2h6kn3a1 said:

Read my reply on page 1

I did read your response. You made some fair points although I still fail to understand why the ball was given to the team that was not in possession at the time that the whistle was blown? Surely the most logical outcome would have been for Argyle to have received an uncontested drop ball?

If referees had some way of explaining their decisions to clubs and fans then this additional transparency would help us all to understand why certain decisions have been made, and then can be referenced to the rules of the game. It would also likely lead to improved fan-referee relations.

Olaf

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
Aug 2, 2016
The law:

If play is stopped inside the penalty area, the ball will be dropped for the goalkeeper. If play is stopped outside the penalty area, the ball will be dropped for one player of the team that last touched the ball at the point of the last touch.

The only argument you have with the ref is whether he should have stopped play before it went in the box

Mark58

ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Blimey, this refereeing mullarkey isnā€™t quite as easy as it looks, is it?! ;) Totally confident that I was right, I was with the vast majority of Argyle fans and indignantly baying at the ref last night over the drop ball incident. 'Whatā€™s he doing?! Doesnā€™t he know that the new rule allows for an uncontested drop to the team in possession at the time of the stoppage?!ā€™ What I didnā€™t realise until Penlee pointed it out - and I did a bit more research - is that any stoppage in the penalty area results in an uncontested drop ball for the ā€˜keeper. Clearly the ref did realise that and he was perfectly correct in his decision. Hopefully he will accept my full apologies for questioning his parentageā€¦

Having said all that, I must transfer my ire to the Grimsby keeper and his team mates who chose to ignore any element of ā€˜fair playā€™ and used the drop ball to launch an attack. I fully accept that there is no obligation on their part to ā€˜give the ball backā€™ in these situations. But, with the game stopped for treatment of their player whilst the ball was at the feet of our attacker inside the box, youā€™d have thought they would at least have had the decency to hoof the ball uncontested towards Palmer and allow him to start another attack, wouldnā€™t you? But, then again, probably not... :sad: :scarf:

Oct 14, 2015
The ref was correct in how he restarted play and followed the guidelines to the letter of the law. The fact Grimsby didnā€™t give the ball back to us isnā€™t his fault or problem..

Canā€™t believe the stick heā€™s getting over this incident when he was in fact correct...

His only mistake was maybe not stopping the game a bit earlier.