Relegation here we come | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Relegation here we come

Mar 14, 2009
I don’t know if people saw Thierry Henry on the SKY Monday night club show. He was asked about management. He was saying it’s totally different now in terms of how you need to deal with players in comparison to when he was a player. A manager now needs to know how to talk to every member of his playing staff. How to treat them in a way they would respond. Back in his playing days they wouldn’t even bother with having to explain to a player why they dropped him. Basically the reason lm talking about this is lm not sure what era people started watching football. However, unfortunately the era we are in now l think commitment, pride & heart are old school terms which l doubt the new generation of players relates to. Sure they will give you the sound bites that they do care. They have been media trained well. However, these younger players (21 years and below) are now just brought up via their academy’s by focusing on improving their technical ability. They are very good footballers. Football is changing and with that so do the attitudes of players. The days of getting stuck in like a older generation of player, like a Sonny Bradley, l feel are slowly seeping away into this new breed of player.

Regarding Argyle, l often hear people say Adams team lacked heart. Everyone remembers the Accrington game. It fell to pieces. However, it wasn’t that we lacked. It was the ability to defend. We were shocking. Adams team was awful at defending. It was awful at defending the year before. The difference was we had Sonny Bradley that was the glue to stick it all together.

I don’t want to alarm people but look at at the last 5 games. Look at the goals we conceded. The bad back pass at Ipswich. The free header and hand ball last night. The terrible defending of the cross against Northampton. The bad marking for the cross against Wigan. The restart second goal against Peterborough. The terrible marking of the crosses against Doncaster.

Notice a theme? We just totally switch off with crosses. We totally switch off at the kick offs. The bad back pass and the penalty was just another concentration issue. They just can’t focus for 90 mins. It happens in the games we have won and drawn too.

The issues were there. Have been there most of the season. The similarity with the Adams side and this one is that we choose to ignore it and just look at the results. In the end our performances caught up with us. This is what is happening now. We choose to ignore the CB issue. It was pretty glaringly obvious.

It’s not heart or commitment we need. It’s bloody players who can defend for 90 minutes. I’m tired of watching Watts get caught out of position with a long ball down the left hand side. He doesn’t have the pace to play there. If you switch him and Opoku around then at least you have a guy who has the pace to cover runs over the top of him or down the flanks.

I’m not worried so much about relegation. We have been there before. It wouldn’t be nice but we will survive. The issue l have is moving forward. If we survive this season we honestly need a re-think about recruitment and our playing style.

I thought we would be roughly 16th in the league. That’s not the issue. My problem is the surrendering of games by gifting teams chances and goals. You expect mistakes. We expected goals against us. However, it shouldn’t be happening in the two bad spells like we have had where we keep making the same mistakes and we just plod on regardless. That’s insane.

Beat Bristol Rovers and we are 14pts clear. They would have 10 games to go after this. That’s 5 wins just to catch us up.

Basically people may not like this situation but one thing it will show us is just how good a manager Ryan Lowe is. If he takes us down l expect him to remain in charge. I will continue to buy my season ticket. I will support him and the team. However, he will be lucky if the rest of the Argyle fans base stay that loyal to him should we go down. If we stay up, which we should, l hope the fan base will wipe the slate clean and give him another season.

Sep 3, 2011
In the 1988/89 season Southend were relegated from the third tier with 54 points. Which is record that still stands today.

Jul 12, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":9h2csw05 said:
I don’t know if people saw Thierry Henry on the SKY Monday night club show. He was asked about management. He was saying it’s totally different now in terms of how you need to deal with players in comparison to when he was a player. A manager now needs to know how to talk to every member of his playing staff. How to treat them in a way they would respond. Back in his playing days they wouldn’t even bother with having to explain to a player why they dropped him. Basically the reason lm talking about this is lm not sure what era people started watching football. However, unfortunately the era we are in now l think commitment, pride & heart are old school terms which l doubt the new generation of players relates to. Sure they will give you the sound bites that they do care. They have been media trained well. However, these younger players (21 years and below) are now just brought up via their academy’s by focusing on improving their technical ability. They are very good footballers. Football is changing and with that so do the attitudes of players. The days of getting stuck in like a older generation of player, like a Sonny Bradley, l feel are slowly seeping away into this new breed of player.

Regarding Argyle, l often hear people say Adams team lacked heart. Everyone remembers the Accrington game. It fell to pieces. However, it wasn’t that we lacked. It was the ability to defend. We were shocking. Adams team was awful at defending. It was awful at defending the year before. The difference was we had Sonny Bradley that was the glue to stick it all together.

I don’t want to alarm people but look at at the last 5 games. Look at the goals we conceded. The bad back pass at Ipswich. The free header and hand ball last night. The terrible defending of the cross against Northampton. The bad marking for the cross against Wigan. The restart second goal against Peterborough. The terrible marking of the crosses against Doncaster.

Notice a theme? We just totally switch off with crosses. We totally switch off at the kick offs. The bad back pass and the penalty was just another concentration issue. They just can’t focus for 90 mins. It happens in the games we have won and drawn too.

The issues were there. Have been there most of the season. The similarity with the Adams side and this one is that we choose to ignore it and just look at the results. In the end our performances caught up with us. This is what is happening now. We choose to ignore the CB issue. It was pretty glaringly obvious.

It’s not heart or commitment we need. It’s bloody players who can defend for 90 minutes. I’m tired of watching Watts get caught out of position with a long ball down the left hand side. He doesn’t have the pace to play there. If you switch him and Opoku around then at least you have a guy who has the pace to cover runs over the top of him or down the flanks.

I’m not worried so much about relegation. We have been there before. It wouldn’t be nice but we will survive. The issue l have is moving forward. If we survive this season we honestly need a re-think about recruitment and our playing style.

I thought we would be roughly 16th in the league. That’s not the issue. My problem is the surrendering of games by gifting teams chances and goals. You expect mistakes. We expected goals against us. However, it shouldn’t be happening in the two bad spells like we have had where we keep making the same mistakes and we just plod on regardless. That’s insane.

Beat Bristol Rovers and we are 14pts clear. They would have 10 games to go after this. That’s 5 wins just to catch us up.

Basically people may not like this situation but one thing it will show us is just how good a manager Ryan Lowe is. If he takes us down l expect him to remain in charge. I will continue to buy my season ticket. I will support him and the team. However, he will be lucky if the rest of the Argyle fans base stay that loyal to him should we go down. If we stay up, which we should, l hope the fan base will wipe the slate clean and give him another season.
Well said .Agree with most of this.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Metal_Green_Mickey":ldsbtwdx said:

You didn’t mention the Portsmouth capitulation, Mickey.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
We just need to stop the rot and get at least a draw against a Bristol Rovs imo. Then I’ll be extremely confident that we’ll avoid the drop fairly comfortably.

Feb 15, 2005
Talk of next season is quite frustrating as how many players that are here now will be at the club next season if we do stay up.

Jul 12, 2016
buck197":3edqtkf5 said:
Talk of next season is quite frustrating as how many players that are here now will be at the club next season if we do stay up.
Hopefully very few.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
argyleforever":6qumlmpi said:
Personally i don't think the players want to play for LOWE or the green shirt either for that matter!
They proved you wrong today. I’m not saying it was a great performance but every single one of them put in a decent shift.

Jul 12, 2016
davie nine":hw1ufar5 said:
argyleforever":hw1ufar5 said:
Personally i don't think the players want to play for LOWE or the green shirt either for that matter!
They proved you wrong today. I’m not saying it was a great performance but every single one of them put in a decent shift.
That's what they are paid to do.

Aug 5, 2016
argyleforever":2eagenqt said:

Why would they want to play for the green shirt?

Argyle are just an employer to them. Except for Cooper they have all played for other clubs. Why would the history and tradition of Plymouth Argyle be any more more important than Newcastle, Fulham or Nottingham Forest where we are loaning these young lads from? We are just another club to them.

What is going to motivate the players primarily is loyalty to each other, loyalty to the manager, win and goal bonuses and securing a contract next season.

When Carey, Lameiras and Ladapo have already got their next moves lined up, you start to understand how important the green shirt is to the players then.

oldage":j5kd3kru said:
davie nine":j5kd3kru said:
argyleforever":j5kd3kru said:

I can’t believe the naïveté of supporters who believe players should be as passionate about the club as they are. Think about your current job. If you have an ounce of ambition you are thinking about your next move, which may well be to a competitor if they offer you a better deal. In the meanwhile you do your absolute best, because you may also want to progress with your current company, and to make yourself an attractive proposition to any potential new employer.

So why should a footballer, who has the disadvantage of a relatively short career span, think and act any differently?

Mar 24, 2019
For those sayings the players don’t care , just watch mayor’s reaction to the 2 nd goal yesterday...they clearly do

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
oldage":13j6s9nb said:
davie nine":13j6s9nb said:
argyleforever":13j6s9nb said:
I wasn’t talking to you, I was pointing out to argyleforever that they ALL demonstrated that they were playing for Lowe and the green shirt.