Retained list | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Retained list

Assuming (and it’s a big assumption) the key spine of the team stays my priority would be a pacey left back. I feel Sawyer holds the team back. As soon as the ball finds its way to him on the half way line or a bit further forward he will always check and play it back. This is because he just doesn’t have the pace to take on his man and get to the byline. In addition, what is supposed to be his strength - being a dependable defender- hasn’t always been this year. We have seen teams targeting him. How often have we seen him sitting off his man and allowing a dangerous cross to come in?

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
With the set-up we have playing narrow with Carey and Lameiras as No10s rather than wingers, Fox, Ness and Sarcevic/Songo'o in MF there is so much space out wide that we just don't exploit. It was evident on Saturday at Gillingham and even when we switched play out to the wingers they didn't have any options. They could have run forward 20yards for sure, but no one instinctively pulled out wide to help them out/create an overlap etc. What was interesting was that Carey playing in the MF 3 seemed to pull out to the left more and lots of our play was down that side. On the right (and this isn't to start a Miller bashing) there was space but no activity.

Whoever comes in as a full back (possible on both sides of Oscar leaves) we need to to find a way of linking them with either a MF player who is prepared to move out wide or get Lameiras and Carey to offer more as wide players.

If DA is content with the narrow set-up, then he should probably look for defensive minded full backs who will sit back and keep us solid and let the front 4/5 be the attacking force.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
jimsing":2k30mj9v said:
I suspect that our no.1 goalkeeper will be another loanee.

A third choice goalkeeper from a bigger club will be more skilled than a first choice keeper that was ours. He would be cheaper too.

Letheren to be no 2 and Cooper to be no 3.
I think Letheren will be off. Wants first team football apparently.

Feb 8, 2005
What he wants and what he gets could be two different things.

I can't see another league club signing him after the season he has just had, he hasn't played enough, so he may have to return to us after all.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Yes, though he has played in the National League before so I don't think he'd be put off by that. I'm not so sure that he wouldn't be able to find a league club though, when he has played he's looked a good keeper.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
abandonedhope":1ccp9pof said:
I feel Sawyer holds the team back. As soon as the ball finds its way to him on the half way line or a bit further forward he will always check and play it back. This is because he just doesn’t have the pace to take on his man and get to the byline.

It's quite often because the forward ball down the left option is impossible as the bloke who is supposed to be there has gone walkies.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
When Adams switched formations in December and used two number 10's the two full backs had to supply the width, especially in home games. Fox played almost as a third centre back and rarely moved from the centre of the pitch.

The problem with this new formation was that there was acres of space behind Sawyer and Threlkeld which the opposition would target and attack.
It was ok on the right side because Threlkeld had the youth and energy to get up and down the pitch and was helped by the pace of Vyner who would come across and cover. But on the left side it didn't really work because Sawyer didn't have the pace to get back which meant Bradley had to come across, our best defender and best header of the ball was now out of position covering for Sawyer.
Opposition teams did this frequently once our new formation was understood.

It's not Sawyer's fault, I think he's the best crosser of the ball in the squad, so if Adams plays the same way next season we need a younger, pacier and more energetic left back.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I agree he is a very decent crosser of the ball, often at pace. The problem is many supporters expect him to perform as a wing back, when he plays in DA's trusted back four. I recall us having a loanee left back by the name of Holmes-Dennis, who was a speedy version of a left back in Sheridan's day. He took flak because he was considered out of position when there was a fast break by the opposition down their right. It is not easy being a full back these days. I wonder what Neil Dougall and George Robertson would have said about it? Perhaps 'never cross the halfway line!'

Nov 18, 2011
Full back has become the most crucial position in the team nowadays. Gone are the days of steady players who first and foremost were defensively sound, since the inverted winger became prevalent they're expected to provide most of the attacking width whilst retaining their defensive duties.

Just as the box to box midfielder has died out it's been replaced with the box to box full back.

Look at how much Man City spent on full backs last summer, teams recognise the importance of the position and any full back who is capable in defence and attack will attract attention from much bigger teams than us.

Our best hope is to identify a young player with potential and enjoy his services for a couple of years before he moves up a division or two.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Joe Totale":2t0nxnpo said:
Full back has become the most crucial position in the team nowadays. Gone are the days of steady players who first and foremost were defensively sound, since the inverted winger became prevalent they're expected to provide most of the attacking width whilst retaining their defensive duties.

Just as the box to box midfielder has died out it's been replaced with the box to box full back.

Look at how much Man City spent on full backs last summer, teams recognise the importance of the position and any full back who is capable in defence and attack will attract attention from much bigger teams than us.

Our best hope is to identify a young player with potential and enjoy his services for a couple of years before he moves up a division or two.
Agree with this very strongly- and it's why I disagree with the assertion that Threlkeld is easily replaceable. His end product may not be perfect but he's been defensively sound, and there's very, very few full-backs who get up and down the line as well as he does. I don't think we'd be able to replace him with anyone better, unless Adams strikes gold once again which I guess isn't impossible but I wouldn't chance it.

May 8, 2011
Joe Totale":1izxjgdh said:

We already have a full back that fits that description on our books, Ryan Law, probably the most attacking full back I’ve seen for a long time.

Aug 17, 2005
HC Green":dwans9nb said:
Joe Totale":dwans9nb said:

We already have a full back that fits that description on our books, Ryan Law, probably the most attacking full back I’ve seen for a long time.

Agreed suggested we played a back three against Northampton of ATS Bradley and Vyner with Law and threkheld playing just in front as wingbacks.