Retained list | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Retained list

Dec 17, 2005
Plymouth
For what it’s worth. I think Ryan Law is the most outstanding prospect Argyle have. If Argyle can keep him, I will be very surprised if he doesn’t make his first team debut next season.

Jul 3, 2013
May 4, 2018
Stiffler":3hojidy3 said:
arrythewurzel":3hojidy3 said:
Karen":3hojidy3 said:
Stiffler":3hojidy3 said:
Cooper is awesome, stick him in. Bradley is offski for certain.

Why is the conscientious Sonny wants to leave?
The feature from Sonny suggested he wanted to stay with Argyle
https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2018/april/sonnys-outlook/

Believed to think the Contract offered was derisory ....

Bigger club than us snared him up already by all accounts.

Great, it’ll be big boots to fill if Sonny leaves.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
GreenSam":sdpxu3ec said:
Joe Totale":sdpxu3ec said:
Full back has become the most crucial position in the team nowadays. Gone are the days of steady players who first and foremost were defensively sound, since the inverted winger became prevalent they're expected to provide most of the attacking width whilst retaining their defensive duties.

Just as the box to box midfielder has died out it's been replaced with the box to box full back.

Look at how much Man City spent on full backs last summer, teams recognise the importance of the position and any full back who is capable in defence and attack will attract attention from much bigger teams than us.

Our best hope is to identify a young player with potential and enjoy his services for a couple of years before he moves up a division or two.
Agree with this very strongly- and it's why I disagree with the assertion that Threlkeld is easily replaceable. His end product may not be perfect but he's been defensively sound, and there's very, very few full-backs who get up and down the line as well as he does. I don't think we'd be able to replace him with anyone better, unless Adams strikes gold once again which I guess isn't impossible but I wouldn't chance it.
Josh Emmanuel, currently on loan at Rotherham from Ipswich?
HC Green could be right about Ryan Law at left back.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
davie nine":1uwdbext said:
GreenSam":1uwdbext said:
Joe Totale":1uwdbext said:
Full back has become the most crucial position in the team nowadays. Gone are the days of steady players who first and foremost were defensively sound, since the inverted winger became prevalent they're expected to provide most of the attacking width whilst retaining their defensive duties.

Just as the box to box midfielder has died out it's been replaced with the box to box full back.

Look at how much Man City spent on full backs last summer, teams recognise the importance of the position and any full back who is capable in defence and attack will attract attention from much bigger teams than us.

Our best hope is to identify a young player with potential and enjoy his services for a couple of years before he moves up a division or two.
Agree with this very strongly- and it's why I disagree with the assertion that Threlkeld is easily replaceable. His end product may not be perfect but he's been defensively sound, and there's very, very few full-backs who get up and down the line as well as he does. I don't think we'd be able to replace him with anyone better, unless Adams strikes gold once again which I guess isn't impossible but I wouldn't chance it.
Josh Emmanuel, currently on loan at Rotherham from Ipswich?
Perhaps- he had a very good game when he was down here the other week, as did Purrington on the other side. I still think it'd be tough to get him or someone as good as him though- especially if Rotherham go up, he may want to follow them.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
No player who has refused a new contract under Adams has gone on to better things. The players offered new deals should think about that. If you're prepared to work then Adams gets the absolute best out of you.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Cobi Budge":78w6jris said:
No player who has refused a new contract under Adams has gone on to better things. The players offered new deals should think about that. If you're prepared to work then Adams gets the absolute best out of you.
The players at Motherwell might disagree. They'll be in their second national cup final in a couple of weeks.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Argy1e":3knqtjzq said:
Cobi Budge":3knqtjzq said:
The players at Motherwell might disagree. They'll be in their second national cup final in a couple of weeks.

Hardly a better standard of football though.

Ainsworth had a comfortable life as a first teamer there and instead took a risk to travel the length of Britain to join us instead.

Oct 16, 2016
Cobi Budge":3c2lqgca said:
Many of the players released by Adams (and playing for argyle) are journeymen lower league ‘players’ or players on a free

Sheds Adams in a good light in many ways but let’s not pretend any of them were superstars that Adams coached to greatness

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Shankster":1ozc3a9s said:
Cobi Budge":1ozc3a9s said:
Many of the players released by Adams (and playing for argyle) are journeymen lower league ‘players’ or players on a free

Sheds Adams in a good light in many ways but let’s not pretend any of them were superstars that Adams coached to greatness

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying the grass isn't always greener. We've got a good thing going here, we've made year on year progress for 5 seasons now, we're a stable club, with stable management. A smart player will see and respect that.

Oct 16, 2016
Cobi Budge":2lj9fx1g said:
Shankster":2lj9fx1g said:
Cobi Budge":2lj9fx1g said:

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying the grass isn't always greener. We've got a good thing going here, we've made year on year progress for 5 seasons now, we're a stable club, with stable management. A smart player will see and respect that.
Many of these players are being offered short contracts, there is little or no stability for them. The onus is on them to perform well to earn an improved contract and show off their talents, if they prove this to Argyle and/ or other clubs and then take better offers fair play to them.

It’s a short career, at this level that can earn very decent money BUT none earn enough for life.

Jan 30, 2017
Cobi Budge":2e1mbibx said:
Argy1e":2e1mbibx said:
Cobi Budge":2e1mbibx said:

Ainsworth had a comfortable life as a first teamer there and instead took a risk to travel the length of Britain to join us instead.

That's anecdotal. McHugh did the same in reverse.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Cobi Budge":3kwb10gf said:
Argy1e":3kwb10gf said:
Cobi Budge":3kwb10gf said:

Comfortable life as a first teamer? Not even close. He came off the bench for half an hour here and there. barely played the season before we signed him.

Nov 2, 2004
Argy1e":1i3aiekn said:
Cobi Budge":1i3aiekn said:
Argy1e":1i3aiekn said:
Cobi Budge":1i3aiekn said:

Comfortable life as a first teamer? Not even close. He came off the bench for half an hour here and there. barely played the season before we signed him.

He played 39 league and cup games in his final Motherwell season.