River Allen Interview | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

River Allen Interview

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
It was a good read. I do not think the lad was deprived of a successful Football League career though, despite his experience at Argyle, considering he played for a number of teams and as far afield as Gateshead. One would have thought he would have been scouted somewhere along the line. I shall always remember him putting away a superb shot into the Devonport End goal in a pre-season friendly. It could have been against WBA, but I am not sure.

Interesting read. I was just looking up the number of youth team players who could have been deemed to have successfully broken through when John Sheridan was in charge and only Ben Purrington could feature in that group. Alongside River Allen, the likes of Tyler Harvey, Isaac Vassell, Aaron Bentley and Jamie Richards fell by the wayside. Hard to say for definite whether all would've been a success under a different management structure (Vassell clearly was, moving to Birmingham for a seven figure sum later in his career) but youth players definitely seem to get more of a chance to integrate these days at Home Park.

M

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
A bit of a depressing but rivetting read. Good luck River, hope it all works out.

Aug 5, 2016
Excellent read and great insight. You can tell Mark Matthews knows River Allen as there were a lot of cross references there.

Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
I found this interesting and appreciate his candor without sounding too bitter. He seems quite philosophical about it now.

Quite a damning report of the culture at Argyle during that time. It’s sad to hear yet another account suggesting Exeter have it right and Argyle have it wrong in terms of how they manage the youth. City seem to focus on developing the young person as much as the player, preparing them for life in general, not just as a pro footballer. Seems to have clear rewards with not only top talent being produced but the likes of Ampadu and Watkins developing the character required to be successful, as well as keep their heads when the big boys come calling.

We forget that being a teenager is a rough time anyway, as you try and figure out who you are and your place in the world. Lads that age are going through all sorts, physically and emotionally, even if because they are lads nobody really talks about it. Youth teams need good coaches, but more importantly they need mentors who understand each individual as a person, rather than a name on a team sheet.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Interesting read sounds like he’s happy having a kickabout with his mates. Sounds like he found professional football a bit too much. Thought Sheridan a bit too intense is how I read it. Anyway good luck to him. Don’t see it as any reflection on Argyle legend Kevin Hodges.

Jan 27, 2012
I've noticed various Kevin Hodges bashing on this forum lately. The fella is a legend. Maybe his face didn't fit around Ryan Lowe's new team, but he's done hell of a lot for Argyle in his career- holding just about every role from apprentice to manager. In fact he's played at a higher level than either Lowe or Schumaker and has more coaching experience as well !

River Allen was complaining about John Sheridan. He doesn't mention anything about Hodges and says he didn't like football once he was offered professional terms. At that point he would not have been under Hodges management anyway.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Larry David":2skmlzvr said:
Interesting read sounds like he’s happy having a kickabout with his mates. Sounds like he found professional football a bit too much. Thought Sheridan a bit too intense is how I read it. Anyway good luck to him. Don’t see it as any reflection on Argyle legend Kevin Hodges.

Yep.
Maybe he didn't have the mentality to be a professional to go with his talent. It's not the first time this has happened. Darren Barstow did the same. Preferred to get 50p coins from the trollies outside the Tesco's in Torquay with his mates. What a waste.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
With the backing of the Board, Lowe and Dewsnip have completely re-vamped the Youth set up at HP.

Without criticising any particular individuals, the lack of quality home produced players has been an issue for a very long time, a situation compounded by the successful and lucrative production line up the road.

The experience of River Allen and other youngsters who came through at around the same time is quite an indictment of the Youth set up back then. Far too many of them drifted into part-time football whilst still quite young.

Fortunately, it appears that things have significantly improved and with that, the likelihood of the system producing genuine first team players has increased.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Like others above, I thought the interview quite revealing. Not only does it give insights about River but also on the culture of the club at the time.

Players with overblown ego's, Young players treated as gophers, favouritism by Sheridan (as River sees it).

He suggests that the situation at Argyle may be better now. I hope so.

River may not have "worked out" at a professional level, but until that decision was made he should have been nurtured whilst he was on contract.

May 8, 2011
demportdave":3b2ufjmk said:
With the backing of the Board, Lowe and Dewsnip have completely re-vamped the Youth set up at HP.

Without criticising any particular individuals, the lack of quality home produced players has been an issue for a very long time, a situation compounded by the successful and lucrative production line up the road.

The experience of River Allen and other youngsters who came through at around the same time is quite an indictment of the Youth set up back then. Far too many of them drifted into part-time football whilst still quite young.

Fortunately, it appears that things have significantly improved and with that, the likelihood of the system producing genuine first team players has increased.

They have certainly improved in the last six years evidenced by the regular inclusion of Academy products in the first team and the likelihood of more to follow. Must have something to do with the work put in by Kevin Hodges and Derek Adams in changing the youth set over that time.

Nov 2, 2004
At the height of his career he could not get in the Gateshead team. Sounds like he treated that as a Newcastle party, hardly likely to make an Argyle pro was he.

Jan 21, 2007
KInda came away from reading that with an ‘if you’re not bothered, i’m not bothered’ feeling :sigh:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Darren Bastow #2?

Kevin Hodges the player is THE Argyle legend. :nworthy: