Rubbish | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rubbish

May 8, 2011
Darren Stoneman":t33nrhhi said:
What has frustrated me this season is some fan expectations!

I know that all fans want a promotion challenge, champions league quality players on a league one budget, the best manager in the world , a chairman with an open cheque book, a world class stadium et al.

However these wishes are unrealistic and some of the messages on here are down right hilarious

Letā€™s be real

We are a progressing club, with decent investment being made to secure long term financial stability, with some excellent off field signings, we have a young ambitious management team who are learning the trade and will get better, we have an inexperienced young squad with some of our own youngsters being given a chance (you all moaned about this in the past) we are hampered by years of neglect in our stadium! Our youth facilities and academy

Just because we are Plymouth Argyle does not mean we are entitled, there are much bigger clubs in L1 with established networks, established squads and paying significantly more in wages than we do

The team have had some poor performances, but I remember all of our teams underperforming, playoffs, losses against Exeter, but also some great performances

I look back on our last few managers and I ask would they be any better

Adams - some of the worst football and engagement with the fan base I can recall
Sheridan - poorest football I can remember

We then have the spectre of managers either in Admin or causing it with player acquisitions etc

There are 90+ clubs all trying to get promoted and stave off relegation and ultimately only a few will be successful,

We were never promised promotion, we were told that they will do their best, and with a few exceptions people have, what it has shown is that there are a number of teams better than us and that is the challenge for next year.

A good number of our players past and present have highlighted how important our fans are, especially when away from home and the nudge that gives them, so when we get back on the terraces, the lessons are learned we will rise again

The digs at the manager donā€™t help, every PAFC manager has made mistakes

Shilton- Swan
Sturrock - Evers
Williamson -West
Sturrock - McLean Mpensa
Adams - the loan players and others signed and not played, Wylde, Ainsworth
Lowe - Nouble etc

However weā€™re these deliberate? No they just didnā€™t work out

Football is a game there will be winners and losers and we have seen our spell of both, for once I am hoping mid table mediocrity with no manager change, a good pint at recruitment without the distraction of play offs or a new relegation squad

Expect too much you end up with nothing, expect nothing everything is a win

What fans expectation is, is a team that plays fast attractive attacking football because that is what we have been told we will get from this manager.
So far this season after 40 games this team has scored fewer goals than the Adams team of 18/19 who you say played some of the worst football, so what does that say about this team?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
HC Green":1lhz7xj6 said:
Darren Stoneman":1lhz7xj6 said:

I know that all fans want a promotion challenge, champions league quality players on a league one budget, the best manager in the world , a chairman with an open cheque book, a world class stadium et al.

However these wishes are unrealistic and some of the messages on here are down right hilarious

Letā€™s be real

We are a progressing club, with decent investment being made to secure long term financial stability, with some excellent off field signings, we have a young ambitious management team who are learning the trade and will get better, we have an inexperienced young squad with some of our own youngsters being given a chance (you all moaned about this in the past) we are hampered by years of neglect in our stadium! Our youth facilities and academy

Just because we are Plymouth Argyle does not mean we are entitled, there are much bigger clubs in L1 with established networks, established squads and paying significantly more in wages than we do

The team have had some poor performances, but I remember all of our teams underperforming, playoffs, losses against Exeter, but also some great performances

Adams - some of the worst football and engagement with the fan base I can recall

We then have the spectre of managers either in Admin or causing it with player acquisitions etc

There are 90+ clubs all trying to get promoted and stave off relegation and ultimately only a few will be successful,

We were never promised promotion, we were told that they will do their best, and with a few exceptions people have, what it has shown is that there are a number of teams better than us and that is the challenge for next year.

A good number of our players past and present have highlighted how important our fans are, especially when away from home and the nudge that gives them, so when we get back on the terraces, the lessons are learned we will rise again

Shilton- Swan
Sturrock - Evers
Williamson -West
Sturrock - McLean Mpensa
Lowe - Nouble etc

Football is a game there will be winners and losers and we have seen our spell of both, for once I am hoping mid table mediocrity with no manager change, a good pint at recruitment without the distraction of play offs or a new relegation squad

What fans expectation is, is a team that plays fast attractive attacking football because that is what we have been told we will get from this manager.
So far this season after 40 games this team has scored fewer goals than the Adams team of 18/19 who you say played some of the worst football, so what does that say about this team?

But crucially Lowe's team have already won more games than the Adams' 18/19 team with six games to go.

D

Darren Stoneman

HC Green":1rgg5hbk said:
Darren Stoneman":1rgg5hbk said:

Letā€™s be real

Shilton- Swan
Sturrock - Evers
Williamson -West
Sturrock - McLean Mpensa
Lowe - Nouble etc

Well I certainly remember Adams setting out to draw or not lose by more than one goal, the only manager and his lack of style making me want to watch paint dry than the drivel that was being played, he cost us with a relegation because the players he bought in didnā€™t care and his shocking attitude towards the fans was his undoing, this team has character and real excitement and I have seen more attacking flowing football in one month than the whole of Adams tenure

Dec 30, 2020
Darren Stoneman":hx87vi20 said:
HC Green":hx87vi20 said:
Darren Stoneman":hx87vi20 said:

Letā€™s be real

Shilton- Swan
Sturrock - Evers
Williamson -West
Sturrock - McLean Mpensa
Lowe - Nouble etc

Well I certainly remember Adams setting out to draw or not lose by more than one goal, the only manager and his lack of style making me want to watch paint dry than the drivel that was being played, he cost us with a relegation because the players he bought in didnā€™t care and his shocking attitude towards the fans was his undoing, this team has character and real excitement and I have seen more attacking flowing football in one month than the whole of Adams tenure

Not wishing to start an Adams/Lowe debate but this take is absolutely off the reservation.

Of the two, Adams was by far the more attack minded and I don't think it's even a matter of opinion - you can make an objective comparison based on the players/formations they picked. Adams usually had two flair players stationed high up the pitch running at defenders (Carey and Lameiras, Kennedy or Wylde); plus ball-playing midfielders (like Fox, Ness, Sarcevic & Boateng); and a really good striker through the middle (Reid, Taylor Ladapo). As such, his first three seasons produced consistently thrilling football. The second half of 2017/18 with Lameiras, Taylor and Carey combining was the best I've ever seen Argyle play.

Lowe goes for a 3-5-2 where half the outfield players are effectively defenders. In his first fans forum after being appointed manager, Adams actually said he wouldn't be using 3-5-2 because it too easily becomes 5-3-2 - and you certainly see this now, when we win the ball and have everyone except the front two are sitting deep, and we end up passing sideways because we don't have anyone in attacking positions ready to run at the opposition.

It's not a criticism of Lowe. After 3 good years, Adams totally soiled the bed with his recruitment in summer 2018 and after a very long stint by modern standards, it was time for him to go. Lowe is a different type of manager who definitely likes to play patient, passing football building from the back, but it's also very slow-paced.