Season's suspended *Update* - possible training May 16 | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Season's suspended *Update* - possible training May 16

Jul 24, 2009
Green_Flash":hjfn2by0 said:
This was the right decision - but it won’t be until April - it will be until June at least

our best hope is that euro 2020 is postponed and the season can be finished off over the summer
Correct decision. Its not set in stone that the next season has to start in August. Postpone the Euros and complete the fixtures when we are over this. Start next season late if needed and if needed drop the EFL Trophy & even league cup to free up time.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
The most sensible solution (admittedly I'm biased) is to end the season now, promote those in promotion spots and have the playoffs when its deemed safe to do so.
Far fewer games to rearrange. Only downside being loss of revenue for the 4 remaining home games this season

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
the_corkscrew":129blhil said:
phil-thefluter24":129blhil said:
At long last someone has had the balls to actually make a decision . I cant believe some on here treating it as if its the end of the world that football has been postponed indefinately , i am as sports mad as the next person but we all need to get real & look at what is happening in Italy would you like that to happen here just so you can have your football fix

Health experts say it was OK to continue with big sport events for the time being.
What are your qualifications here exactly?

It's funny how the UK Government is being guided by 'the science'. Presumably our science is different from pretty much every other country's science? In fact, it's not even the same as the science that many relevant UK scientists agree with - there are plenty of highly qualified and respected experts in epidemiology who think the Government has got this wrong.

Aug 8, 2013
I wonder if the EFL regulations include anything to cover a
season being terminated early for reasons of force majeure.
Current standings to be respected if more than three-quarters
of games have been completed, for instance.
Wishful thinking ?

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
The Doctor":ctm9mswi said:
the_corkscrew":ctm9mswi said:
phil-thefluter24":ctm9mswi said:
At long last someone has had the balls to actually make a decision . I cant believe some on here treating it as if its the end of the world that football has been postponed indefinately , i am as sports mad as the next person but we all need to get real & look at what is happening in Italy would you like that to happen here just so you can have your football fix

Health experts say it was OK to continue with big sport events for the time being.

It's funny how the UK Government is being guided by 'the science'. Presumably our science is different from pretty much every other country's science? In fact, it's not even the same as the science that many relevant UK scientists agree with - there are plenty of highly qualified and respected experts in epidemiology who think the Government has got this wrong.

Change 'guided by science' to 'bankrolled by big business' and you'll have it right.
The government don't want to shut schools and offices, they dont want people taking time off to oversee kids when there's all important 'productivity' to achieve.
They'd far rather leave it up to the individual to decide to self isolate, leaving big business free to penalise those that do through meagre or non existent (zero hrs contracts) sick pay packages

Sep 25, 2003
Carbis Bay
third earl of jean":1a5umf0q said:
Green_Flash":1a5umf0q said:
This was the right decision - but it won’t be until April - it will be until June at least

our best hope is that euro 2020 is postponed and the season can be finished off over the summer
Correct decision. Its not set in stone that the next season has to start in August. Postpone the Euros and complete the fixtures when we are over this. Start next season late if needed and if needed drop the EFL Trophy & even league cup to free up time.

Transfer window might be back open by then too!

C

Cult Of Personality

Players will be out of contract as from end of June . If season is suspended till after June . Clubs might not even have enough players

Feb 23, 2008
up_the_line":28avvg8c said:
The Doctor":28avvg8c said:
the_corkscrew":28avvg8c said:
phil-thefluter24":28avvg8c said:

Change 'guided by science' to 'bankrolled by big business' and you'll have it right.
The government don't want to shut schools and offices, they dont want people taking time off to oversee kids when there's all important 'productivity' to achieve.
They'd far rather leave it up to the individual to decide to self isolate, leaving big business free to penalise those that do through meagre or non existent (zero hrs contracts) sick pay packages

I don't like what's happening as much as anybody else but there's a difference between suspending a season for 3 weeks and the country coming to a total standstill.

My initial reaction was if we are well enough to work, still be allowed to enter supermarkets etc then we are well enough to attend games but if we've now entered a delay phase then all non-essential contact makes sense.

A

acorn

Having lost 80% of my work this month and next I could not afford to go anyway :furious:

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
April 3rd should be when the Coronavirus bug should be at it's worst....so I reckon the seasons over...and we're THIRD in the league....we might be already promoted....poor old Exeter.

I was around for the 1939/40 season that ended suddenly, but being in my nappy at the time I wasn't to aware of that occasion.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Agree with Princerock. I think this is a mistake and will just feed into the panic which is occurring in places. There is no way the season will recommence in April, because there will be far more cases by then and more deaths. The Premier League and EFL have just followed their European counterparts.

I hope this doesnt make the Government veer from its very sensible line so far and start closing schools etc. If football has to stop, then if you follow that logic every single indoor shopping precinct should close etc etc etc.

The bottom line will be the bottom line. When this is all over, we will know if our Government was right to delay more drastic measures or not, by simply comparing statistics (of deaths unfortunately) with other similarly populated countries. People who criticise the government for having one eye on the economy are the same people who would bitterly complain when it goes into free fall, which Ireland’s surely will, given their response.

Apr 15, 2008
London
I think the suspension might be down to player welfare rather than large crowds. Players come into closer contact than most normal work colleagues would. If you didn't suspend the league, you would have squads with 4 or 5 players missing/self-isolating at a time and managers not on the sidelines.

Plus, games might have to be called off due to lack of personnel at very short notice, effecting travelling fans.

Jul 29, 2010
Devongreenowl":3afuxd7g said:
Agree with Princerock. I think this is a mistake and will just feed into the panic which is occurring in places. There is no way the season will recommence in April, because there will be far more cases by then and more deaths. The Premier League and EFL have just followed their European counterparts.

I hope this doesnt make the Government veer from its very sensible line so far and start closing schools etc. If football has to stop, then if you follow that logic every single indoor shopping precinct should close etc etc etc.

The bottom line will be the bottom line. When this is all over, we will know if our Government was right to delay more drastic measures or not, by simply comparing statistics (of deaths unfortunately) with other similarly populated countries. People who criticise the government for having one eye on the economy are the same people who would bitterly complain when it goes into free fall, which Ireland’s surely will, given their response.

Totally agree. This arbitrary suspension will just feed the hysteria and is against the science which should be leading the decision making process.