Season's suspended *Update* - possible training May 16 | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Season's suspended *Update* - possible training May 16

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
X Isle":3cd42b5b said:
Devongreenowl":3cd42b5b said:
Agree with Princerock. I think this is a mistake and will just feed into the panic which is occurring in places. There is no way the season will recommence in April, because there will be far more cases by then and more deaths. The Premier League and EFL have just followed their European counterparts.

I hope this doesnt make the Government veer from its very sensible line so far and start closing schools etc. If football has to stop, then if you follow that logic every single indoor shopping precinct should close etc etc etc.

The bottom line will be the bottom line. When this is all over, we will know if our Government was right to delay more drastic measures or not, by simply comparing statistics (of deaths unfortunately) with other similarly populated countries. People who criticise the government for having one eye on the economy are the same people who would bitterly complain when it goes into free fall, which Ireland’s surely will, given their response.

Totally agree. This arbitrary suspension will just feed the hysteria and is against the science which should be leading the decision making process.

Indeed. There was one particular former health professional who was given a platform on Question Time and breakfast TV to spread fear and panic and allowed to undermine the scientists and medical experts who are advising the Government. Not helpful.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
crownhillpilgrim":3ndzdgiu said:
I think the suspension might be down to player welfare rather than large crowds. Players come into closer contact than most normal work colleagues would. If you didn't suspend the league, you would have squads with 4 or 5 players missing/self-isolating at a time and managers not on the sidelines.

Plus, games might have to be called off due to lack of personnel at very short notice, effecting travelling fans.
Yep, as the EFL indicated. Like you say, it could be chaos if fixtures were altered at short notice:

Having considered the increased number of cases affecting Club Players and staff, the Board were unanimous in their approach............

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
PL2 3DQ":107doruq said:
X Isle":107doruq said:
Devongreenowl":107doruq said:
Agree with Princerock. I think this is a mistake and will just feed into the panic which is occurring in places. There is no way the season will recommence in April, because there will be far more cases by then and more deaths. The Premier League and EFL have just followed their European counterparts.

I hope this doesnt make the Government veer from its very sensible line so far and start closing schools etc. If football has to stop, then if you follow that logic every single indoor shopping precinct should close etc etc etc.

The bottom line will be the bottom line. When this is all over, we will know if our Government was right to delay more drastic measures or not, by simply comparing statistics (of deaths unfortunately) with other similarly populated countries. People who criticise the government for having one eye on the economy are the same people who would bitterly complain when it goes into free fall, which Ireland’s surely will, given their response.

Totally agree. This arbitrary suspension will just feed the hysteria and is against the science which should be leading the decision making process.

Indeed. There was one particular former health professional who was given a platform on Question Time and breakfast TV to spread fear and panic and allowed to undermine the scientists and medical experts who are advising the Government. Not helpful.

That guy was just a big mouth bigot, empty vessels came to mind, pity QT does not have a decent chair who would have put him in his place.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
PL2 3DQ":2qce8te2 said:
X Isle":2qce8te2 said:
Devongreenowl":2qce8te2 said:

I used to love watching Question Time, but haven’t watched it for years now because of its biased political stance on virtually everything. I’m not Boris' biggest fan, but I think he’s been quite statesman-like on this issue. I understand the comment about player welfare, but surely without wishing to compare this to 'normal flu' in any given winter there will be players sent home when under the weather, either from flu, stomach bugs etc to protect the rest of the squad. I just think the Prem and EFL have just gone along with their counterparts in the rest of Europe. There will be any number of ulterior motives from club owners etc. Let’s face it, Norwich won’t be too unhappy because there’s every chance that the whole season will be declared null and void - no promotion, no relegation etc.

The scientists think this won’t peak until early summer, so can’t see games getting back underway even by late May or early June. Sad to say, I think it’s L2 for Argyle again next season. Imagine the uproar if the Prem and EFL just said league positions as they stand now, are the final tables!!!

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
dunlop":2l2ptqg2 said:
PL2 3DQ":2l2ptqg2 said:
X Isle":2l2ptqg2 said:
Devongreenowl":2l2ptqg2 said:

That guy was just a big mouth bigot, empty vessels came to mind, pity QT does not have a decent chair who would have put him in his place.
Completely agree. I thought the days of having to turn off such programs because I found myself shouting at the TV might have passed after Brexit (at least temporarily) - but couldn't stand listening to him. I was well impressed with the government bloke for keeping his cool - even Fiona Bruce lost it with him at one point.

Oct 31, 2015
Don't agree with the decision tbh but that's only my opinion and I don't want to get into a Corona virus discussion..

I reckon that's the season over. 16 week duration peaking in another 3-4 weeks Means season over.

Go on EFL and prem what happens to the trophies? Poor old Liverpool if the season is void

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I would have thought the indignation of all hard work being wiped out, would surpass the frustration of being judged after 37 games. Leeds, for example, will be thinking they HAVE to be promoted this season and that they've earned that this season. So of course, would Liverpool with the Premier League.

Having said that, you can see clubs posing legal challenges if they're relegated and at the risk of going out of business based on 37 games instead of 46, especially if said clubs have invested in the January transfer window.

9 more games have to be completed somehow and at some time though, you'd think.

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
It probably also has a lot to do with the intergrity of the competition.

Every time a player gets it the whole squad would need to go in to isolation, or as a minimum would have to self isolate.

How would it be fair for the competition when some games were being played and not others.

It had to be a unanimous decision. If we can't finish we can't finish. If the season is null and void and we have to stay in league two for another season then so be it.

We can't control this thing. So accept it.

Aug 11, 2013
What a nightmare. The cash flow problems this will cause for lower league clubs already struggling financially could tip a few more clubs over the edge and into insolvency.

Jun 27, 2019
The likes of Exeter could probably just about accept missing out on promotion if the season was to be declared complete. However, the likes of Stevenage and Villa would scream blue murder given what it would mean for their respective futures. Not to mention Bournemouth, who would be kicked off the Premier League gravy train on goal difference!

I just can't see that happening, which is why I think the authorities will do all they can to get the season finished even if that means waiting several months.

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
arrythewurzel":38o2jnmy said:
What a nightmare. The cash flow problems this will cause for lower league clubs already struggling financially could tip a few more clubs over the edge and into insolvency.

Exactly.

Macclesfield on the edge already, along with the others.

In 2/3 months time some clubs might not even be around to fulfil the season.

And exeter, fan owned. Who will help them out in the interim?

Dec 8, 2019
I'm no expert so I won't offer an opinion but.......
My father in law is a paramedic of 35 years and said its a load of nonsense, more people will die as a consequence of standard flu than this and a radiographer I know in Banbury was told he had to shave his beard or else the masks won't work. He's kept his beard.

If that's the view of NHS employees, I'll stick with their advice and just wash hands until I'm legally not allowed to enjoy life.

From a football point of view, if it gets too late to restart the season, I would abandon it completely in the interest of fairness. I know at this stage of the season teams are in and around their deserved place, but you can't have a true result until every team has played each other twice

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
I wonder if there are any owners thinking what better time to take an administration penalty and take the chance that the season might be a write off....

Macclesfield, Southend & Stevenage for example...what happens to their suspended/yet to be decided penalties?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
I suppose in the end if/when the season is declared over, the potential options on whether to start again next season or to promote/relegate as per current league positions would probably go to a vote by all owners/chairmen. Liverpool should certainly be declared PL champions, but other positions are tighter. Very difficult situation and I’m sure barristers are being consulted as we speak.

Feb 23, 2008
Rather than rob teams of what they've achieved this season surely the season should just be finished when it can, then dependent on when this happens the next season's length is adjusted accordingly?

Maybe teams would agree on a compromise next season, maybe only play each other once and then a play off for relegation and promotion as well as the automatic spots or something along those lines?

Player fitness might become an issue too as well as contract lengths?