Shooting practice | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Shooting practice

Jul 12, 2016
The Doctor":2961r8hk said:
oldage":2961r8hk said:
The Doctor":2961r8hk said:
The concern I had from Saturday was that we had 14 shots but only 1 on target and, looking back to the game before that (Macclesfield) we had 15 shots with 3 on target. So in the last two games, ones that I feel we probably should have won if we are genuine automatic promotion contenders, we had 29 shots (plenty) but only 4 on target (not enough). However we do it, we need to be creating more on-target goal attempts.
Careful you'll be accused of being a moaner if you highlight our weaknesses!

Except that in my book there is a difference between sometimes making a short comment about a perceived area of weakness (not moaning) and continually finding fault in pretty much everything almost for the sake of it (moaning).
Not for the sake of it.Just get your head out the sand and see the real situation. We have an error strewn defence, slow midfield and misfiring forwards. With less luck and better finishing by the opposition at Home Park recently we would be mid table.
We can't keep relying on luck til the end of the season.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
oldage":ygqjfwzd said:
:nworthy:
metroace":ygqjfwzd said:
The Doctor":ygqjfwzd said:
The concern I had from Saturday was that we had 14 shots but only 1 on target and, looking back to the game before that (Macclesfield) we had 15 shots with 3 on target. So in the last two games, ones that I feel we probably should have won if we are genuine automatic promotion contenders, we had 29 shots (plenty) but only 4 on target (not enough). However we do it, we need to be creating more on-target goal attempts.

Does this depend on the definition of ā€œon targetā€? Does this discount the shots that were accurate but were blocked before they reached the goalkeeper? Because in both of those games, there were a multitude of attempts that were blocked by the opposition defence so the disparity between shots and shots on target may not be because the shots were somehow NOT on target, just that they did not get past a blocking defender.
Talk about clutching at straws!
Not clutching at straws at all - just a perfectly legitimate comment that you have to treat stats with some caution. Don't get me wrong - I love stats and a big believer they can objectively reveal things things and challenge received wisdoms but you do have to be wary and look at a number of different stats before drawing conclusions. Aswell as blocked & deflected shots being discounted from the 'on target' stat - there are really close chances that get us off our seats that wouldn't be included. For example a ball flashed across the six yard line that the striker couldn't quite get his toe on or the defender just nicked it ahead of him i.e. a really good goal scoring opportunity compared to a powder puff long 'shot' that bounces tamely into the 'keepr's arms but would have registered as 'on target'.

For that reason the stato's came up with 'expected goals' (XG) to try to quantify the quality of the chances created i.e. the probability of an attempt becoming a goal. Guess what? - on that criteria Argyle have the best XG's in the league ...... but unfortunately we also concede more XG's than most other top sides. Then again that's what makes us fun to watch this season - the Cambridge game was an exception. We are creating a lot of good chances and only two teams have scored more than us - so I'd say all this possession football is not just pleasing on the eye but is actually proving effective.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
:thumbs: ŵ
oldage":1f306ahd said:
The Doctor":1f306ahd said:
oldage":1f306ahd said:
The Doctor":1f306ahd said:

Except that in my book there is a difference between sometimes making a short comment about a perceived area of weakness (not moaning) and continually finding fault in pretty much everything almost for the sake of it (moaning).
Not for the sake of it.Just get your head out the sand and see the real situation. We have an error strewn defence, slow midfield and misfiring forwards. With less luck and better finishing by the opposition at Home Park recently we would be mid table.

Well, according to you weā€™ve been doing it all season so why change now :sigh:

Jul 12, 2016
Devongreenowl":373fzo0z said:
:thumbs: ŵ
oldage":373fzo0z said:
The Doctor":373fzo0z said:
oldage":373fzo0z said:
The Doctor":373fzo0z said:

Well, according to you weā€™ve been doing it all season so why change now :sigh:
If you care to read my final sentence ,again!

Iā€™m surprised so little credit is being given to Cambridge for one of the best defensive performances Iā€™ve seen at HP? Itā€™s no good shooting if you canā€™t see the target, and for most of the game they had ten behind the ball. When we did the same against Liverpool in the cup, our performance was rightly lauded.

Jul 12, 2016
mervyn":1ryzisie said:
Iā€™m surprised so little credit is being given to Cambridge for one of the best defensive performances Iā€™ve seen at HP? Itā€™s no good shooting if you canā€™t see the target, and for most of the game they had ten behind the ball. When we did the same against Liverpool in the cup, our performance was rightly lauded.
We don't shoot when we can see the target!

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
oldage":346l5vtp said:
mervyn":346l5vtp said:

And somehow we are 3rd top scorers in the league .

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
George Cooper told us at Senior Greens today that he has had a lot of shooting practice this week (as well as a bit of fishing) but not with any great success.
Hopefully, he will get it right on Saturday.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
oldage":1zjz4ast said:
mervyn":1zjz4ast said:

:sigh:

Jul 12, 2016
davie nine":21pgqciz said:
George Cooper told us at Senior Greens today that he has had a lot of shooting practice this week (as well as a bit of fishing) but not with any great success.
Hopefully, he will get it right on Saturday.

So little net gain!

TCM

Jun 7, 2011
3rd best record in the league for banging goals in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,,, what a strange thread ,as some else pointed out there is a huge difference in moaning just for the sake of it,,, i would just take a peek at the league table before posting, :facepalm: :sigh:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
TCM you really mustnā€™t let facts get in the way of mithering and whingeing. Whatā€™s a matter with you? Donā€™t you hear a thing Oldage has been telling you all season? We're shibo, we're lucky, our forwards are misfiring. Glad Jephcott and Hardie havenā€™t been playing to his script. I bet heā€™s got a face like a bag of smashed crabs whenever we win. :funny:
W A A A W
:scarf:

Jul 12, 2016
TCM":2lgiryxn said:
3rd best record in the league for banging goals in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,,, what a strange thread ,as some else pointed out there is a huge difference in moaning just for the sake of it,,, i would just take a peek at the league table before posting, :facepalm: :sigh:
So what happened today? We've scored an amazing 2 goals in three games and won 2 points our of 9 but why moan? :facepalm: