Simon Hallett intriguing tweet | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Simon Hallett intriguing tweet

Apr 29, 2016
IJN":nfpbt1og said:
philmeboots":nfpbt1og said:
Kentishgreen":nfpbt1og said:
Surely it should be Association Football?

Or soccer for short. I really don’t see the issue. Go on Bet 365 they call it soccer for clarity. My father who was a good football player and never played rugby called it soccer. People do get precious sometimes.

We can Phil. Rugby types call it soccer, that’s what winds me up about the name. Ours is the pure game theirs is a derivative.

Now get back on your shooting stick and support the Chiefs. :wave:

Not sure what Rugby types really mean. But I suppose that you mean that you’re a golf type? I’m a sport type .. love it all. Think that I started following Argyle about forty years before Chiefs. Just before you if I remember correctly. Up the Association and Rugby football!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
A rugby type is someone who sticks an egg up his arse and it’s a jape, calls football ‘soccer’ and thinks drinking 10 pints whilst watching a load of muddy men trying to handle a very peculiar shaped ‘ball’.

Here to advise. :greensmile:

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
I pretty much know the history of the word soccer but I also hate it because it always sounds like an "outsider's" term to me. If you're American, or (it feels to me) if you don't really care for football or know much about it, and/or went to public school, you call it soccer. I think of Bertie Wooster types saying, "What ho, Jeeves. After brekkers I'm orf to Wimbers for a spot of tennis, thence to Highbury Stadium to take in some bally old soccer!"

Also, various foreign terms are derived from the word football: eg. fútbol, fussball - and, oddly for the normally linguistically pure French: football! - but none from soccer, as far as I'm aware.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
And ‘calcio’ in Italy, which is completely different!

You would expect an American citizen (as SH is) talking to another American citizen to use the word ‘soccer’... I think we were just having a laugh :thumbup:

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Biggs":2b98g855 said:
And ‘calcio’ in Italy, which is completely different!

You would expect an American citizen (as SH is) talking to another American citizen to use the word ‘soccer’... I think we were just having a laugh :thumbup:
That's why I said various and not all!

But yes, of course SH was going to use the word soccer in that context.