Social media boycott | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Social media boycott

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
L G":1u3wvjla said:
mutley marvel":1u3wvjla said:
I have never understood the fixation or fascination with social media- i have never been interested in setting up a social media account.

Infact this forum is the only online posts i do

I fully understand why this boycott is taking place as it is clear some people have no grasp that there will be consequences for being a faceless keyboard warrior spouting unacceptable, hateful,ignorant vile abuse

They would not have the bottle to do it face to face so why do they think it is totally acceptable via the internet
Some on social media are not faceless though. They are who they say they are and their posts are personal to them. However, there are also folk who are not all they make out to be. Multi's even.
They are the snakes to watch out for Mr Marvel.
Mr Marvel is a Miss/Mrs/Ms.

Gloucester Green

Cream First
♣️ Shire Greens
Sep 18, 2010
Gloucester
I noticed a large increase in posts this morning from clubs across the leagues getting out a lot of their media before the boycott which I felt defeated the object.

Argyle should've have said we'd like to tell you about X, Y and Z but you'll have to wait until the boycott.

They have also said they will be updating the website over the weekend which again I think defeats the object of an online boycott

Mar 23, 2008
monkeywrench":7eo1jfla said:
Cult Of Personality":7eo1jfla said:
It's an absolutely stupid boycott.. you think that the people who abuse players on social media are going to stop because clubs and player take 4 days off.

Even if social media companies take more measures . People will always find a work around .

What they should have done is 4 days of postive action . Keep hammering down the message that rascism sexism and homophobia is wrong

Disagree completely. They've been doing that for years and it's clearly had no effect. This boycott is making people stop and think, and it's generated publicity. I'm all for it.
Indeed and whilst it may not stop idiots from frankly being idiotic, it will hopefully focus the minds of those in power on social media sites to have better moderation and powers to deal with said idiots.

Feb 15, 2005
philevs":3hriv827 said:
IJN":3hriv827 said:
We have two ex Managers who read this site, a player’s Mum and also another player’s Sister.

These are the one’s we know of.

So they not post but they certainly read what is being said.

:wave:

That is very interesting indeed.
In my opinion:
If anyone slags off a professional footballer and calls them “rubbish”, you can be sure they do not have a clue what the standard required to become one is like.
Players can play poorly and lose form or fitness, but no professional player is “rubbish”. If they were, they wouldn’t be a pro.
Their performance, however, can be very poor or call it ‘rubbish’ if you like, or they may not be good enough to play at a certain level, but this does not mean they are “rubbish” footballers.
Perhaps some posters would do well to have a re-think about what they say at times.

There can’t be many games where the officials are not abused and with fairly robust language, I’m not advocating it’s correct but to say it doesn’t happen is rich (“whose the ****** in black”). English football has always involved a level of abuse to the opponents from group chanting down to some oik in the crowd targeting an individual. I’m sure players/officials would prefer to be called rubbish then the industrial language used at every match towards our own players and opposition.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
I assume we wont know the lineup until the players jog on to the pitch :coat: :coat: :coat:

Aug 5, 2016
monkeywrench":1ckfoxyv said:
Cult Of Personality":1ckfoxyv said:
It's an absolutely stupid boycott.. you think that the people who abuse players on social media are going to stop because clubs and player take 4 days off.

Even if social media companies take more measures . People will always find a work around .

What they should have done is 4 days of postive action . Keep hammering down the message that rascism sexism and homophobia is wrong

Disagree completely. They've been doing that for years and it's clearly had no effect. This boycott is making people stop and think, and it's generated publicity. I'm all for it.

Will it heck. The racist and abusive neanderthals will still be there in 4 days time.

Jul 6, 2011
Or is it all an excuse to clamp down on free speech?
I hate it when folk swear or get personal, but on FB I find if I retaliate to an abusive comment I'm usually the one that gets banned :D FB and twitter are highly political, they stand anti-government, anti brexit and even to a point anti British, they punish by bans anyone who speaks against their agenda. The man who hands out the punishment for FB is ex libdem leader Clegg and people wonder why centre right views are always removed.
With this and the knee bending my question is, is sport getting too political?

Dec 3, 2005
briangreen":3kvl1s5l said:
Or is it all an excuse to clamp down on free speech?
I hate it when folk swear or get personal, but on FB I find if I retaliate to an abusive comment I'm usually the one that gets banned :D FB and twitter are highly political, they stand anti-government, anti brexit and even to a point anti British, they punish by bans anyone who speaks against their agenda. The man who hands out the punishment for FB is ex libdem leader Clegg and people wonder why centre right views are always removed.
With this and the knee bending my question is, is sport getting too political?

Yes Sport is definately a Political Football, always having some agenda.
Majority - thankfully just want to go to a match and watch the sport whatever that maybe, not to constantly have agendas thrust down your throat.

Once again it is the very small minority spoiling it for the vast majority .

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Gloucester Green":3jrenjb0 said:
I noticed a large increase in posts this morning from clubs across the leagues getting out a lot of their media before the boycott which I felt defeated the object.

Argyle should've have said we'd like to tell you about X, Y and Z but you'll have to wait until the boycott.

They have also said they will be updating the website over the weekend which again I think defeats the object of an online boycott

I think we have to differentiate from interactive social media (facebook, twitter, instagram etc) to a read only webpage such as the official site.

Jan 27, 2012
All this social media ban is going to do is annoy Argyle fans.

To much political correctness is getting mixed up in football these days. I prefer it when they just concentrate on football.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
:lol:

How dare they upset Argyle fans in an effort to stop some idiot of a racist troll venting on SM eh?

What are you on?

ngs

Apr 7, 2020
IJN":1kxlh2ug said:

How dare they upset Argyle fans in an effort to stop some idiot of a racist troll venting on SM eh?

What are you on?

A bigger picture that some look at through a keyhole.

Jan 27, 2012
IJN":1c5ol4kk said:

What are you on?

Every week I see various footballers pretending to be injured to get opposition players in trouble, swearing, deliberately winding up crowds of people to make them angry, cheating, spitting, being violent, obscenely flaunting their wealth etc etc.

So I'm not taking any lectures from footballers or football clubs about how to think or behave. They can look at themselves before trying to 'educate' their fans.

The Twitter ban is ridiculous anyway as the football clubs are presumably going to start using it again next week. If their concerns were genuine and sincere, why don't they stop using Twitter entirely ? Clubs all have their own websites these days.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
So falling over to gain a free kick is comparable to being called a N***** is it?

:facepalm:

I'd stop now if I was you, even by your standards this is an ill thought out reaction.

Jul 29, 2010
Ham Green":ce26luxb said:
It's a shame x-isle isn't here much any more, because I could tell him how bloody right he always was about social media.

It was never a great idea and it's become increasingly toxic. I'm actually surprised that footballers even bother having accounts on these sites. Just give the basement dwellers a space to get their anger out and ignore them.

Still perusing periodically... but that's worth logging back on for. It can take seconds, it can take days, it can even take years. But eventually everyone everywhere discovers that I was right all along :lol:

The world of social media disappeared up it's own hoop years ago. Pausing to break out the Andrex and give that hoop a wipe will change nothing. It's the whole entity that's the problem, not rogue users.

And what a typically pathetic woke response to a problem a temporary boycott is. "Oooh, we'll show 'em. We won't post any selfies or send any hashtags for 81 hours... whereupon we'll send all the selfies we took and post all the hashtags we dreamt up in those 81 hours. That'll make 'em quake in their multi billionaire boots". Ridiculous. If the system is failing, just abandon the system.

You wouldn't take that attitude in response to anything else would you?...

..."the fur industry is abhorrent... I won't buy any fur this weekend"

..."climate change is endangering the planet... I'm going to fly business class from LA to chain myself to a boat in central London" (Copyright Emma Thompson).

Pathetic, pointless, self serving 'oh look at me, I've got ethics AND double standards' limp woke millenial posturing. You want change, then change, delete your accounts.

Now, unless someone wants to admit they were ignorant to argue that the sole merit of all forwards is purely to score goals and nothing else, I'll go back to my Shangri-La :wave: