Social media boycott | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Social media boycott

C

Cult Of Personality

Knibbsworth":14g0zlkb said:
monkeywrench":14g0zlkb said:
Cult Of Personality":14g0zlkb said:
It's an absolutely stupid boycott.. you think that the people who abuse players on social media are going to stop because clubs and player take 4 days off.

Even if social media companies take more measures . People will always find a work around .

What they should have done is 4 days of postive action . Keep hammering down the message that rascism sexism and homophobia is wrong

Disagree completely. They've been doing that for years and it's clearly had no effect. This boycott is making people stop and think, and it's generated publicity. I'm all for it.

Will it heck. The racist and abusive neanderthals will still be there in 4 days time.

That's my point once a rascists always a rascists is how I view it .same with sexiest and homophobia. People sadly don't change

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I completely disagree.

In the 1970's the vast majority of us, myself included, were far more racist than is acceptable these days, and that has been achieved by education and enlightenment.

Just look at the TV programmes and films of that period, an awful lot of them can't even be shown nowadays. Quite rightly too.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
davie nine":h7raupq8 said:
L G":h7raupq8 said:
mutley marvel":h7raupq8 said:
I have never understood the fixation or fascination with social media- i have never been interested in setting up a social media account.

Infact this forum is the only online posts i do

I fully understand why this boycott is taking place as it is clear some people have no grasp that there will be consequences for being a faceless keyboard warrior spouting unacceptable, hateful,ignorant vile abuse

They would not have the bottle to do it face to face so why do they think it is totally acceptable via the internet
Some on social media are not faceless though. They are who they say they are and their posts are personal to them. However, there are also folk who are not all they make out to be. Multi's even.
They are the snakes to watch out for Mr Marvel.
Mr Marvel is a Miss/Mrs/Ms.
How was I to know that sir?

Jul 6, 2011
IJN":17p9rr97 said:
I completely disagree.

In the 1970's the vast majority of us, myself included, were far more racist than is acceptable these days, and that has been achieved by education and enlightenment.

Just look at the TV programmes and films of that period, an awful lot of them can't even be shown nowadays. Quite rightly too.

I loved the 1970s comedies, guess I must be a bigot....

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
L G":2jkoh3dk said:
davie nine":2jkoh3dk said:
L G":2jkoh3dk said:
mutley marvel":2jkoh3dk said:
I have never understood the fixation or fascination with social media- i have never been interested in setting up a social media account.

I fully understand why this boycott is taking place as it is clear some people have no grasp that there will be consequences for being a faceless keyboard warrior spouting unacceptable, hateful,ignorant vile abuse

They would not have the bottle to do it face to face so why do they think it is totally acceptable via the internet
Some on social media are not faceless though. They are who they say they are and their posts are personal to them. However, there are also folk who are not all they make out to be. Multi's even.
I remembered that she joined in mid February and, in introducing herself, she wrote “After many years of visiting this marvellous forum, I have decided to put on my big girl pants and join”.
Perfectly understandable that you weren’t aware of that. I suppose I am a Pasoti addict.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
briangreen":1wrhz0hp said:
IJN":1wrhz0hp said:
I completely disagree.

I loved the 1970s comedies, guess I must be a bigot....

If you repeated some of the 'nicknames' used for BAME people, you would be.

It's not hard is it?

Age is not an excuse that's for sure. Why hurt people using words because they are have a different skin colour? Simply doesn't make any sense does it?

Aug 5, 2016
X Isle":2pvtujr5 said:
Ham Green":2pvtujr5 said:
It's a shame x-isle isn't here much any more, because I could tell him how bloody right he always was about social media.

It was never a great idea and it's become increasingly toxic. I'm actually surprised that footballers even bother having accounts on these sites. Just give the basement dwellers a space to get their anger out and ignore them.

Still perusing periodically... but that's worth logging back on for. It can take seconds, it can take days, it can even take years. But eventually everyone everywhere discovers that I was right all along :lol:

The world of social media disappeared up it's own hoop years ago. Pausing to break out the Andrex and give that hoop a wipe will change nothing. It's the whole entity that's the problem, not rogue users.

And what a typically pathetic woke response to a problem a temporary boycott is. "Oooh, we'll show 'em. We won't post any selfies or send any hashtags for 81 hours... whereupon we'll send all the selfies we took and post all the hashtags we dreamt up in those 81 hours. That'll make 'em quake in their multi billionaire boots". Ridiculous. If the system is failing, just abandon the system.

You wouldn't take that attitude in response to anything else would you?...

..."the fur industry is abhorrent... I won't buy any fur this weekend"

..."climate change is endangering the planet... I'm going to fly business class from LA to chain myself to a boat in central London" (Copyright Emma Thompson).

Pathetic, pointless, self serving 'oh look at me, I've got ethics AND double standards' limp woke millenial posturing. You want change, then change, delete your accounts.

Now, unless someone wants to admit they were ignorant to argue that the sole merit of all forwards is purely to score goals and nothing else, I'll go back to my Shangri-La :wave:

Well said. The levels of vanity and self importance in even lower league football is staggering. If you don’t like being abused then close the account, stop trying to send the world videos of you dancing in the changing room or sipping cocktails wearing a Rolex with your model girlfriend.

A certain percentage of the population will always be uneducated and moronic.

George Cooper and Niall Ennis wouldn’t go for a pint in the Dog and Duck, because their nights would likely be ruined by some gobby morons who feed their dog pork scratchings and lager, and have nothing in common with them and their lifestyle.

I don’t know why these pampered prats expect social media to be any different, especially when it offers that cloak of anonymity. It allows these bigots to be even braver and louder than they would be in person.

Mayor seems to have his head screwed on, stays well away from it and let’s his football do the talking. Don’t give these brave heroes the communication channel to be abusive and ruin your day.

This 4 day boycott is going to achieve the square root of nowt.

British football and terrace culture is all about letting off steam, being abusive, giving grief to the opposition, being horrible to the ref when he is having a stinker. When a manager like Joe Kinnear comes to town, he isn’t showered with petals - his personal life, dietary choices and latest heart operation is attacked for 90 minutes by 4,000 fans in the Devonport. And instead of boycotting anything, he just ramps up his jibes about the people of Plymouth. It is what makes football great.

British football, politeness and respect are just things which do not go together.

Pleading for civility on Twitter just seems futile. If you don’t like the reality of it please just get off it and don’t empower the morons.

Where racism is involved, and where offences are being committed, it would be better placed petitioning the social media platforms to get rid of anonymous profiles. Make it compulsory to scan your passport or driving licence to get a Twitter account. That would eradicate 90% of the illegal abuse. However footballers not having an account in the first place would eradicate 100% of it.

I just can’t get my head around why sharing photos of their breakfast protein shakes and holiday snaps with people they wouldn’t even talk to in a post office queue is so important to them. So important they are prepared to endure racist and personal abuse (minus a 4 day boycott!) to keep doing it. Just get off the whole thing and leave the door shut, problem solved.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
davie nine":2113ne78 said:
L G":2113ne78 said:
davie nine":2113ne78 said:
L G":2113ne78 said:
mutley marvel":2113ne78 said:

I remembered that she joined in mid February and, in introducing herself, she wrote “After many years of visiting this marvellous forum, I have decided to put on my big girl pants and join”.
Perfectly understandable that you weren’t aware of that. I suppose I am a Pasoti addict.
Oh I once was too, long long time ago!
I'm aware of your addiction though, on the odd occasion I've logged on over the past year or so!
Thanks for clearing it up.
I apologise to big girl Marvel, who lives (possibly) in Mutley.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
I believe there are men who wear big girls' pants. ;)

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Apology accepted LG i was born on Mutley Plain nearly 50 years ago but i am now an exile in the East Midlands - my big girl pants are my way of saying i now feel brave enough to put my thoughts on this forum