Some interesting League One figures. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Some interesting League One figures.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Stunned at the figure for Brighton. Given their past woes I would have thought they would be more careful.

Feb 17, 2017
Stuart House":2k9upm5o said:
“Why can’t we compete with the likes of Fleetwood with their gates FFS? “

“Cos they blew £3.9m in losses and we didn’t FFS.”

The fleetwood model is fine is you have an owner to swallow it. We don’t and JB shouldn’t be criticised for that, he should be applauded because he was there when no one else was.

That’s not to say we will ever compete and progress with this philosophy whilst other clubs continue as they are. We are lucky with Adams at present. But that certainly isn’t JBs fault.

Just out of interest when did fleetwood make a £3.9m loss?

Mar 8, 2016
Argylegames":162f6sgj said:
Stunned at the figure for Brighton. Given their past woes I would have thought they would be more careful.

It payed off for them in the end though as they made it into the premier league.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
That's the dilemma though isn't it?

Do you gamble?

Cardiff could have easily gone, Burnley were looking at the edge. QPR would be in trouble but for a sugar daddy bailing them out.

It goes on and on, and I think most of us think a famous club will go sooner rather than later.

Mar 8, 2016
Yeah exactly, looks like Aston villa have been taking that gamble that hasn’t paid off yet. Will be interesting to see how things pan out for them over the next year or two

Mar 14, 2009
As I said before, its OK saying someone like Brighton took a risk but who is the debt liable too.

For example, their current chairman is Tony Bloom. Now he is a massive Brighton fan apparently.

He has pumped lots of his own money into that club. So was he expecting to get it back? Are those debts made up of personal loans from him? Would he of wrote that debt off (like Ellis Short did with Sunderland recently) had Brighton not reached their premier league ambition?

So is it really a gamble for all clubs? It really does depend on the owner and how the debt was occurred. Sunderland have been poorly run. Now in league one. Yet with new set of owners they are debt free because their previous owner wipped off millions of pounds of debt owed to him.

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Neilz5419":1rqb4bjq said:
Stuart House":1rqb4bjq said:

The fleetwood model is fine is you have an owner to swallow it. We don’t and JB shouldn’t be criticised for that, he should be applauded because he was there when no one else was.

That’s not to say we will ever compete and progress with this philosophy whilst other clubs continue as they are. We are lucky with Adams at present. But that certainly isn’t JBs fault.

12 months up to 30th June 2017 according to the table on Rovers Forum (OP original link)

Feb 17, 2017
Stuart House":bxbl5ups said:
Neilz5419":bxbl5ups said:
Stuart House":bxbl5ups said:

12 months up to 30th June 2017 according to the table on Rovers Forum (OP original link)

"The accounts for Fleetwood Wanderers Limited reveal that Town lost £2,196,718 in the year ended June 30 2017, compared to the £4,475,838 profit they delivered for the previous 12 months."

Read more at: https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/spor ... -1-9127456

They did still make a 2 million loss so nothing to write home about but they did also get training facilities that cost 9 million and are premier league standard

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Just going on the figures in the OP. The point is still valid though, we can't compete with clubs who can afford to or are prepared to make a loss.

Feb 17, 2017
Stuart House":1ofy2ubg said:
Just going on the figures in the OP. The point is still valid though, we can't compete with clubs who can afford to or are prepared to make a loss.

No exactly i agree we cannot compete with these clubs, they have owners that do not mind if they make a loss, they are not running them as a way of making money or a profitable business, and the Championship just takes it a step further same prinicipal just wealthier owners. in reality what do we do, do we accept that we will be in league one/two until we have an owner that doesnt mind making a loss, like you say it isnt JBs fault in so much that you cant pay what you cant afford but surely if we want to compete and progress up into the next league maybe further how will we do this under the current regime.

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Agreed that we won't progress (unless Adam's continues to perform miracles) under current regime.

But we also need to be careful about wishing for an owner that can sustain losses, because all the clubs that do run the risk that one day that owner decides they don't want to any more.

Then unless they have succeed to the promised land they're fudged.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Stuart our swearchecker worked but Site Admin and I can still see it. Remember please this IS a c child friendly site.

Cheers. :thumbup:

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
I'm not sure what the issue with growing within our means is.

Surely the last couple of seasons we've shown that being big budget doesn't always guarantee success.

As Stuart said, at some point the bottom will fall out of the bucket of the well of the rich owner and we'll be struggling to survive.

I'm happy to sacrifice rapid growth to the supposed "dizzying heights" of the premier league to ensure my grandkids have a team to support (which is many decades away I must add)

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
IJN":1qncticx said:
Stuart our swearchecker worked but Site Admin and I can still see it. Remember please this IS a c child friendly site.

Cheers. :thumbup:

I was just being lazy as I know the swear checker is instant and would cut it out, sorry.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Fairy mate, not a bad thing to highlight though. :thumbup:

You swearcheck away. :greensmile: