Some interesting League One figures. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Some interesting League One figures.

Feb 17, 2017
Football is changing and changing fast, the last time we was in the championship I would say it’s comparable to how league one is now, in terms of teams starting to get onto the idea of over 100% wage budget to turnover. We subsequently tried to follow suit but without the wealthy directors bailing us out. This has now stretched into league one. Give it another 5-10 years and it will go a league lower, growing within your means is a thing of the past unfortunately. There will be a time I’m sure when you will need big investment just to be in the football league, this is just the start. If we have any ambitions to move up or indeed even stay where we are we might have to follow suit but that would mean new owners, and not trying to do it based on organic growth alone, else we will just end up where we was before and no one wants that.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I agree with most of that. Especially about getting into the Football League alone requiring millions.

Put it this way, I’m 100% sure Ajax or Benfica would take a League 2 slot right now, because their domestic glass ceiling would be removed. English football/Premier League is now the hottest property in the world, and they’d fancy their chances of making the aforementioned Premier League in 5 or so years.

I suppose we’re very lucky in that sense, because at least we’re part of the whole circus and automatically a more attractive club than 95% of the world’s other teams. And even if we don’t ever possess big money, our advantage over the Football League’s rich clubs could well be our stability and vision. They are rare commodities in the modern game.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Army green":1v41edoc said:
I’m sure Hereford had already dropped out of the league when they went into admin, I’ve s feeling the last team may have been Coventry City. It’s been a while now since a club has gone into admin. Surely clubs can’t continue with the losses being shown in above posts, something has to give. You have to admire the modal argyle are taking, don’t get me wrong it’s frustratung as hell at times as a supporter not seeing Adams have a bigger budget, however we have to look at the bigger picture, one day the club will get it’s just rewards for running on such a sound financial footing.

Ability of the Club/ Directors to stand losses is only one side of the coin. I am sure that the Football League will in due course start creating a 'fair play' template, which will financially penalise such excesses, or alternatively deduct points such that relegation will be a threat. I do not think that all is lost for the likes of Argyle's business plan.