Songo'o in trouble | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Songo'o in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2012
If Songo'o had threatened the bloke with violence or said he was going to break his legs if he went near him etc., that (presumably) would not be newsworthy story. I've heard some nasty things coming from the Argyle bench in the past along those lines !

PS- Didn't some bloke get arrested at Home Park for calling Ainsworth a gipsy or something once ? Or was it something much worse? I might be wrong about that ?

fitz

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Feb 28, 2006
Dubai UAE
I think it was a song about a caravan aimed at a Southend player. Who had a black mane of hair and black stubble in his chin.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
fitz":230hxinf said:
I think it was a song about a caravan aimed at a Southend player. Who had a black mane of hair and black stubble in his chin.

I remember it was frequently sung about our long-haired Chris Hargreaves who took it all as a big joke and even called his autobiography "Where's Your Caravan?"

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
This sounds like the same word as Justin Thomas the American golfer called himself recently when he missed a short putt. It caused quite a bit of controversy and as a result Ralph Lauren dropped their sponsorship of him. To be honest until this incident I did not know it had a double meaning and thought it was something you eat.

Sep 2, 2008
People say the world is becoming a more tolerant place in which to live but I would argue that its not. I remember some words that my mum used to say to me when I was a child to stop me fighting with other kids, 'sticks and stones will break your bones but names will never hurt you'. In todays society that no longer seems to be true. The uber sensitive people in our society today really need to stop being so pathetic. Listening to the reaction of the opposition players after the incident was embarrassing. Surrounding the ref like a load of bleating lambs. :facepalm:

Jun 27, 2019
Green as Grass":2tsi5j78 said:
This sounds like the same word as Justin Thomas the American golfer called himself recently when he missed a short putt. It caused quite a bit of controversy and as a result Ralph Lauren dropped their sponsorship of him. To be honest until this incident I did not know it had a double meaning and thought it was something you eat.

Most sane, rational people accepted that it was a heat-of-the-moment emotional lapse and that Thomas was not in any way being homophobic. He apologised profusely, but the rabid, zero-tolerance brigade pounced on the opportunity to brandish their pitchforks. None of them will ever have been in his shoes... an elite athlete with the eyes of the world on him as he messed up a shot. In frustration, he said the first word that came into his head and it was unfortunate for him that it had to be that one.

If the guy (or Songo, for that matter) had a history of homophobia then, yeah, take his sponsorships off him and maybe send him away to be educated. But he didn't. Other golfers said what a nice guy he was and how out of character it was for him to use a word like that.

I wouldn't want to be in the public eye in this day and age. You have to walk an extremely narrow tightrope and there are plenty of people out there ready to judge you as being lesser than them if you make just one mistake.

gaspargomez":p4j7kcc3 said:
Sometimes even a fairly innocent remark can be described as 'abhorrent' in these PC times so I'd wait and see what Songo'o is supposed to have said exactly before making a judgement.

Let's remember that this is a game where players are always pretending to be injured or abused in order to get their opponents sent off.
True, wasn’t Sonny Bradley once accused of spitting?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Pottypilgrim":uag4h7ak said:
People say the world is becoming a more tolerant place in which to live but I would argue that its not. I remember some words that my mum used to say to me when I was a child to stop me fighting with other kids, 'sticks and stones will break your bones but names will never hurt you'. In todays society that no longer seems to be true. The uber sensitive people in our society today really need to stop being so pathetic. Listening to the reaction of the opposition players after the incident was embarrassing. Surrounding the ref like a load of bleating lambs. :facepalm:

It is more tolerant, it just doesn't tolerate racism, sexism, discrimination etc anymore. There's nothing uber sensitive about people not wanting to be discriminated against. A basic level of humanity towards others is not a lot to ask.

Sep 2, 2008
Nobby":3yvsvmnh said:
Pottypilgrim":3yvsvmnh said:

It is more tolerant, it just doesn't tolerate racism, sexism, discrimination etc anymore. There's nothing uber sensitive about people not wanting to be discriminated against. A basic level of humanity towards others is not a lot to ask.

I agree and I wasn't suggesting otherwise so I don't know why you've quoted me. I'm talking about being uber sensitive to being called a name. Discrimination is about the prejudicial treatment of people and is something completely different.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Pottypilgrim":2tx9ma5x said:
Nobby":2tx9ma5x said:
Pottypilgrim":2tx9ma5x said:

I agree and I wasn't suggesting otherwise so I don't know why you've quoted me. I'm talking about being uber sensitive to being called a name. Discrimination is about the prejudicial treatment of people and is something completely different.

Apologies if I have misunderstood your post :thumbup:

Dec 30, 2020
Pottypilgrim":3dwazzu0 said:
Nobby":3dwazzu0 said:
Pottypilgrim":3dwazzu0 said:

It's the people bleating and crying about the censure of this violent, abusive term - even though it has absolutely no meaningful impact on their life - who are guilty of uber sensitive snowflakery.

A considerable number of gay people are murdered because of their sexuality every year, by governments, mobs and individual bigots, including in this country.

Can you not see how that makes the context for homophobic abuse a bit different to the 'sticks and stones' you refer to above?

Sep 2, 2008
greenpilled":2zp0ghkk said:
Pottypilgrim":2zp0ghkk said:
Nobby":2zp0ghkk said:
Pottypilgrim":2zp0ghkk said:

It's the people bleating and crying about the censure of this violent, abusive term - even though it has absolutely no meaningful impact on their life - who are guilty of uber sensitive snowflakery.

A considerable number of gay people are murdered because of their sexuality every year, by governments, mobs and individual bigots, including in this country.

Can you not see how that makes the context for homophobic abuse a bit different to the 'sticks and stones' you refer to above?

I'm not sure you can refer to people by calling them that ...its offensive to some. Also, regarding your comment about homophobic abuse and considering it in this particular instance we are discussing and not the other situations you mentioned happening outside of this incident, do you know if the individual that Songo'o aimed the word at is homosexual? If he is then Songo'o should be dealt with as someone that has been guilty of homophobic abuse. If not, then has the subject of Songo'os choice of words been homophobically abused? You talk of context so look at this situation and the context around that because this is what we are discussing.

Aug 8, 2013
Sounded to me as though Songo'o might have used another
phrase beginning with "F", and one I'd have thought much more
likely to be in his vocabulary, but maybe it was just the sound quality
making it sound that way. As for the reaction of the opposition, either

a) they were horrified and deeply offended by the term used, and
were eager to bring the offender to immediate justice, or

b) they couldn't give a monkey's about their teammate being referred to
in such terms, but saw a chance to get an opponent sent off.

Which do you think is more likely ?

Aug 5, 2016
I would imagine that the opposition players just wanted him to get sent off, but now they aren't fussed in the slightest and couldn't care less if he was fined or banned now.

Unfortunately the word has become synonymous with being a wimp and effeminate behaviour, something people almost used to say without thinking about its context or origins. I don't think Songo'o genuinely thinks the guy is homosexual, so I don't see how it can be proved he was being homophobic. He isn't bullying him about his identity or sexual preference, but his behaviour and constant whinging to the ref using a very clumsy and outdated term from the playgrounds.

I think Songo'o is guily of being ignorant more than malicious, but it is entirely in the context of 2020s life to ban and fine him into line. Intent and malice doesn't seem to matter as much as someone out there who is incensed and offended. It is worth noting that Songo'o is not from the UK and speaks English as a second language, so to come down a ton of bricks on him for not fully understanding the social historical context of the words he is using seems a little unfair.

If Danny Mayor and Will Aimson went to play in Spain or Italy, I reckon some clumsy outdated slang pejoratives might end up in their vocabularies after 5 years. Words they wouldn't have understood the context of from the 1960s to the present day.

Status
Not open for further replies.