Songo'o in trouble | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Songo'o in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
The Southend player you were trying to find earlier is Freddy Eastwood - he is/was a traveller/gypsy and did for a large part at least live in a caravan, so the song was probably water off a ducks back.

I think the issue is how far this can go - where is the line for causing offence. Race/Religion/Sexuality are all deemed to be a non grey area, but what next, are bald or overweight referee's out of reach? People can be bald for a number of reasons, genetic or illness, if someone is bald due to an illness or condition, are they no area's, but someone who is genetically bald fair game?

I say this as someone who has worked alongside the ECB (English Cricket Board) in setting out codes of conduct for all Cricket leagues up and down the country. I've seen so many cases being reported that 95% of the public wouldn't even register it as offensive, but there is a growing trend for people to want to play a victim.

In this particular case Yann doesn't have a leg to stand on (would this phrase offend someone with one leg?)

Nov 12, 2003
I've just been listening to Radio Devon and they played Money for Nothing by Dire Straits which uses the word f@ggt at least three times.

I was highly offended and thought about dialling 999.

C

Cult Of Personality

If Yann did the word that is similar to Maggot . It is a truly awful word.

Read up the meaning of the word and the act that is behind it and you will also argee that the word is not right for the 21st century

I had a conversation with my missus who is Bisexual and she explained to me this word and why it's probably time that the word was dropped from fairy tale of New York

D

Darren Stoneman

lunarjetman":33pfnvdd said:
I've just been listening to Radio Devon and they played Money for Nothing by Dire Straits which uses the word f@ggt at least three times.

You are far to young to be listening to Radio Devon, you must be in Dire Straits :wave:

Sep 2, 2008
Knibbsworth":1l5tbzis said:
I would imagine that the opposition players just wanted him to get sent off, but now they aren't fussed in the slightest and couldn't care less if he was fined or banned now.

Unfortunately the word has become synonymous with being a wimp and effeminate behaviour, something people almost used to say without thinking about its context or origins. I don't think Songo'o genuinely thinks the guy is homosexual, so I don't see how it can be proved he was being homophobic. He isn't bullying him about his identity or sexual preference, but his behaviour and constant whinging to the ref using a very clumsy and outdated term from the playgrounds.

I think Songo'o is guily of being ignorant more than malicious, but it is entirely in the context of 2020s life to ban and fine him into line. Intent and malice doesn't seem to matter as much as someone out there who is incensed and offended. It is worth noting that Songo'o is not from the UK and speaks English as a second language, so to come down a ton of bricks on him for not fully understanding the social historical context of the words he is using seems a little unfair.

If Danny Mayor and Will Aimson went to play in Spain or Italy, I reckon some clumsy outdated slang pejoratives might end up in their vocabularies after 5 years. Words they wouldn't have understood the context of from the 1960s to the present day.

The FA are actually charging him with an aggravated breach of one of their rules and not homophobic abuse specifically...an extract of the charge is, 'shall at all times act in the best interests of the game and shall not act in any manner which is improper or brings the game into disrepute or use any one, or a combination of, violent conduct, serious foul play, threatening, abusive, indecent or insulting words or behaviour". I think its the use of the insulting word that will find him guilty.

Dec 30, 2020
Pottypilgrim":2l5s48sr said:
Knibbsworth":2l5s48sr said:
I would imagine that the opposition players just wanted him to get sent off, but now they aren't fussed in the slightest and couldn't care less if he was fined or banned now.

Unfortunately the word has become synonymous with being a wimp and effeminate behaviour, something people almost used to say without thinking about its context or origins. I don't think Songo'o genuinely thinks the guy is homosexual, so I don't see how it can be proved he was being homophobic. He isn't bullying him about his identity or sexual preference, but his behaviour and constant whinging to the ref using a very clumsy and outdated term from the playgrounds.

I think Songo'o is guily of being ignorant more than malicious, but it is entirely in the context of 2020s life to ban and fine him into line. Intent and malice doesn't seem to matter as much as someone out there who is incensed and offended. It is worth noting that Songo'o is not from the UK and speaks English as a second language, so to come down a ton of bricks on him for not fully understanding the social historical context of the words he is using seems a little unfair.

If Danny Mayor and Will Aimson went to play in Spain or Italy, I reckon some clumsy outdated slang pejoratives might end up in their vocabularies after 5 years. Words they wouldn't have understood the context of from the 1960s to the present day.

The FA are actually charging him with an aggravated breach of one of their rules and not homophobic abuse specifically...an extract of the charge is, 'shall at all times act in the best interests of the game and shall not act in any manner which is improper or brings the game into disrepute or use any one, or a combination of, violent conduct, serious foul play, threatening, abusive, indecent or insulting words or behaviour". I think its the use of the insulting word that will find him guilty.

Whether or not the Tranmere player is gay is irrelevant. The term Songo'o used is widely understood to be a derogatory term for gay people. He is insinuating (probably wrongly) that the player is gay and that there is something shameful and unmanly about this. So it isn't remotely difficult to prove it's homophobic. It's inherent in the use of the term.

Jan 27, 2012
I reckon Songo'o meant in the same way as you might call someone a 'pussy'. Sturrock sometimes described his players as 'jessies' if they weren't up for the fight.

I guess pussy and jessie aren't on the banned list of words that these easily shocked people complain about. But they have the same implications.

Removed - not a good idea to be accusing anyone of homophobic language or behaviour with no evidence. Hardly a big deal in the scheme of things and certaintly not a sending off offence, but expect the right-on FA to throw the book at him.
The person on the street (the silent majority) couldn't care less.

Its people's behavour that matters.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Darren Stoneman":3f9ylp7c said:
lunarjetman":3f9ylp7c said:

You are far to young to be listening to Radio Devon, you must be in Dire Straits :wave:

I was thinking along the lines of Wilson Phillips or Shakatak, Nightbird.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
gaspargomez":18861m41 said:
I reckon Songo'o meant in the same way as you might call someone a 'pussy'. Sturrock sometimes described his players as 'jessies' if they weren't up for the fight.

I guess pussy and jessie aren't on the banned list of words that these easily shocked people complain about. But they have the same implications.
Removed - not a good idea to be accusing anyone of homophobic language or behaviour with no evidence. Hardly a big deal in the scheme of things and certaintly not a sending off offence, but expect the right-on FA to throw the book at him.
The person on the street (the silent majority) couldn't care less.

Its people's behavour that matters.

Poor Derek. Wait 'til HC sees this.

FWIW, Songoo has been living in this country for 8 years so I'd imagine he would know the meaning of the word by now.

Aug 5, 2012
Gravesend - Kent
Whatever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones - but names can never hurt me"? God, people are so thin skinned these days.
That horrendous, life-threatening word was imported from the States around 40 odd years ago and, whilst always derogatory, it's only lately that people get mortally offended.
I think I'm going to start calling people of that persuasion "newspapers". If it catches on I can guarantee you that certain people will take "offence" and the word 'newspaper' will be black-listed, no I mean white-listed or should that be just listed? Or is the word 'listed' offensive?
I'm glad I'm the age I am - not much longer to go in putting up with all this nonsense.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Thankfully most of older ones have reeducated ourselves eh Grumpy.

I'll now take the unusual step of locking this one, before anyone else says something which lets themselves down.

This sort of thread is a pig to mod, Grumps and Gasper have proved.

eb20c571bbf150a64cbb309449a3a5f9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.