Songo'o | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Songo'o

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
elburtontrev":1ai0rkdo said:
Songo unwittingly with his woeful first half performance unnerved the whole back 4. Remi completely at sea with the mess that was going on in front of him.
Somehow we won a game where we were poor for majority, rovers failed to capitalize on their better football, where down our left they could have scored at will.
Get well soon sonny we need you.

Still ignoring the previous posts about the second half? :think:
In the first half he proved that there is only one Sonny
In the second half he showed that there is only one Yann!
Of course Vyner is a better player but Yann has a big heart and takes one for the team when he has to! :thumbs:

T

The Grumpy Loyal

elburtontrev":ya0t1j15 said:
Songo unwittingly with his woeful first half performance unnerved the whole back 4. Remi completely at sea with the mess that was going on in front of him.
Somehow we won a game where we were poor for majority, rovers failed to capitalize on their better football, where down our left they could have scored at will.

You have it there in a nutshell.

It's what comes from having an instilled positive winning mentality. The way things are now in the dressing room we seem to be able to rise and overcome the absence of some big players.... a complete polar opposite to earlier on in the year.

Hats off to Adams and the boys.

Jul 29, 2010
Just a solid gold liability back there, it's like giving the opposition a goal start.

Had a companion in calamity with Remi today, what was his kicking all about :shock:

Oh, and it's Songo'o, not Songo.

Aug 8, 2014
Pogleswoody":1h9fvurq said:
elburtontrev":1h9fvurq said:

Still ignoring the previous posts about the second half? :think:
In the first half he proved that there is only one Sonny
In the second half he showed that there is only one Yann!
Of course Vyner is a better player but Yann has a big heart and takes one for the team when he has to! :thumbs:

Not ignoring 2nd half, he only marginally improved because he couldn't have played any worse. He shuffled slightly over to the centre to compensate for his inability on his left foot which wouldn't have worked if Ness and the rest of the midfield had got us up the pitch more.
Songo is a very determined charchter which should be applauded but definitely has limited ability.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Even by you high standards, what a horribly ignorant post X Isle. We are talking about the same player who just 11 weeks ago was hands down winning our player of the season so far vote on this very site. He found himself out of the side, due to a change in formation and not quite "fitting in" with the DA way forward.
The first half today was a poor as I've seen him play, lets be honest, no he isn't a great passer, reader of the game, but what he is - is a determined, whole hearted, passionate player who you want on your side in times of trouble. He won the penalty that won us the game then made two excellent and one stupidly brave clearance inside the last 8-9 minutes.
So yes he was poor today, but still contributed enormously to our win, 3-4 of his performances earlier in the year were top class, anyone at Wigan will tell you, he has it in him to be immense.
For a guy who doesn't known if he will be playing from one to the next and if he is, whether he is playing in midfield, right side CB, left side CB, part of a three at the back, he does us proud. To say starting with him, is like starting the game 1-0 down, is imho horribly crass, today he was poor, but to be overboard with such OTT claims, is at best unfair.

Oct 31, 2015
Voice_of_Reason":3326x2yt said:
Even by you high standards, what a horribly ignorant post X Isle. We are talking about the same player who just 11 weeks ago was hands down winning our player of the season so far vote on this very site. He found himself out of the side, due to a change in formation and not quite "fitting in" with the DA way forward.
The first half today was a poor as I've seen him play, lets be honest, no he isn't a great passer, reader of the game, but what he is - is a determined, whole hearted, passionate player who you want on your side in times of trouble. He won the penalty that won us the game then made two excellent and one stupidly brave clearance inside the last 8-9 minutes.
So yes he was poor today, but still contributed enormously to our win, 3-4 of his performances earlier in the year were top class, anyone at Wigan will tell you, he has it in him to be immense.
For a guy who doesn't known if he will be playing from one to the next and if he is, whether he is playing in midfield, right side CB, left side CB, part of a three at the back, he does us proud. To say starting with him, is like starting the game 1-0 down, is imho horribly crass, today he was poor, but to be overboard with such OTT claims, is at best unfair.
Totally agree with this whole heartedly. Songoo wears his heart on his sleeve and was the one figjting for the cause in the Autumn. He is not a left CB and their no9 knew that. Before. Vyner joined my preferred CB pairing was Bradley and songooooo.

X I think you shoul bow your head a bit on this one mate. The only other option would be Sawyer in that position. Hmm no thanks

Jul 29, 2010
Bow my head my ars*, I stand by every word, sorry to disappoint.

Where does he get his plaudits VoR... defensive midfield. He's a very capable defensive midfielder, Mr. 100%, no problems there from me. He still makes mistakes there mind, it's just in his nature I guess, but with four defenders and a keeper between him and the goal line it doesn't hurt us. Take the four defenders away though and he becomes an error prone trapeze artist without a safety net.

DA must shoulder some responsibility for putting him in there, it's not as if his calamitous streak suddenly started at Fleetwood is it :facepalm:

No thanks to Gary Sawyer rsp? He may have his limitations but he is a) a defender and b) left footed... Songo'o is NEITHER. Damn right Harrison knew it, exploit the weak link, it's just what Charlton's forwards will do next week too...and everyone to come who scouts our games.

It is VERY simple, if you put round pegs in round holes you stand more chance of making a structure leak proof. Derek surprises me with this selection, forced I know because of Sonny, because he has otherwise been very good in his time with us in putting the right pegs in the right holes.

Look, we got away with it today, great. But let that not mask the glaringly obvious achilles heel we have unnecessarily saddled ourselves with by putting a right footed defensive midfielder in a left footed central defensive position. We have a better option, not perfect but definitely better.

Jan 27, 2012
I dont mind Songo'o as a defensive midfielder, but not as a centre back. He sh1ts himself everytime the ball is played to his feet.

He improved in the second half- I reckon Adams was in his face. When there was a break in play, most of the players went over to the bench to get drinks etc. But I noticed that Songo'o stayed as far away from Adams as he could.

Maybe it would be a good idea to have Sawyer in central defence next week ?

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
arrythewurzel":f0hi99i7 said:
Clearly ring rusty. He made his one mistake and his confidence must have been low after the first half performance but I thought he showed a lot of character to turn it around second half and save 2 almost certain goals. Not as bad as people will make out.

Exactly as I saw it. Different player second half. Brave, well-placed and alert.

Sep 6, 2006
X Isle":cg9euptp said:

Where does he get his plaudits VoR... defensive midfield. He's a very capable defensive midfielder, Mr. 100%, no problems there from me. He still makes mistakes there mind, it's just in his nature I guess, but with four defenders and a keeper between him and the goal line it doesn't hurt us. Take the four defenders away though and he becomes an error prone trapeze artist without a safety net.

DA must shoulder some responsibility for putting him in there, it's not as if his calamitous streak suddenly started at Fleetwood is it :facepalm:

No thanks to Gary Sawyer rsp? He may have his limitations but he is a) a defender and b) left footed... Songo'o is NEITHER. Damn right Harrison knew it, exploit the weak link, it's just what Charlton's forwards will do next week too...and everyone to come who scouts our games.

It is VERY simple, if you put round pegs in round holes you stand more chance of making a structure leak proof. Derek surprises me with this selection, forced I know because of Sonny, because he has otherwise been very good in his time with us in putting the right pegs in the right holes.

Look, we got away with it today, great. But let that not mask the glaringly obvious achilles heel we have unnecessarily saddled ourselves with by putting a right footed defensive midfielder in a left footed central defensive position. We have a better option, not perfect but definitely better.

Shows how clueless you are to suggest he was at fault at Fleetwood. When he was TOLD to leave a cross.

Jul 29, 2010
Balham_Green":1oa3y6qa said:
X Isle":1oa3y6qa said:

Shows how clueless you are to suggest he was at fault at Fleetwood. When he was TOLD to leave a cross.
A player with the spatial awareness that comes with experience in his given position doth not need to be 'kin told, he knows it instinctively.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Coped well given the circumstances IMO.

There is no denying he is limited when it comes to his pace so putting him up against a rapid player like Harrison was a big ask.

He doesn't do the flash stuff, he's a 100% defender who considers the danger first and today the danger was a Rovers forward getting the run on him. He responded by not taking any risks, clearing the ball out to re-group rather than risk a 1v1 foot race. It was ugly but their 2nd goal proved why he was doing it.

Unsurprisingly he was nervy and really struggled in the first half but second half like a true pro came out fighting. He made some excellent blocks, gave the forward trouble when Remi went walkabout, won the penalty and in true Songo'o fashion made his no-nonsense, "it doesn't matter how but I'm getting something on that ball" presence felt which proved vital in defending our slim lead.

Game of two halves for him and the rest of the team. A win's a win though...

SONGO'OOOO!

Jul 29, 2010
Credit also due, where it is deserved, I thought Harrison was very good today.

Not just pace but most of their long balls up to him stuck too. A bit like the Dons lad Taylor, I wouldn't mind him in our squad to help cover/press for 'the Ryan Taylor role'.

Oct 31, 2015
X Isle":1zpxnleq said:

Ok mate fair enough no need to bow your head :funny:

I agree Sawyer is not the answer in that position so unless Sonny gets back to fitness next week in training we have no other option.
If Sonny is out who would you put into the left CB position?

I cant see anyone else who could tbh.

Yann does ok at right Cb and holding midfielder and I still say he was our rock in the Autumn.

Also agree he will be targeted by others but the team will need to give him support with no other optioms in the squad.

Lets hope Sonny is back in next Saturday :scarf: