South west teams in size order | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

South west teams in size order

Jan 5, 2019
Rainy afternoon, nothing else to do? so hopefully here's a good topic, west country clubs in size order do you agree?

Bristol City
Plymouth Argyle
Swindon Town
Bournemouth
Bristol Rovers
Exeter City
Torquay United
Yeovil Town
Cheltenham Town

Football League sized clubs only, not doing non league sized clubs like Forest Green Rovers.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
BcbC2312":2ehw8cmc said:
Rainy afternoon, nothing else to do? so hopefully here's a good topic, west country clubs in size order do you agree?

Bristol City
Plymouth Argyle
Swindon Town
Bournemouth
Bristol Rovers
Exeter City
Torquay United
Yeovil Town
Cheltenham Town

Football League sized clubs only, not doing non league sized clubs like Forest Green Rovers.
Argyle above Bournemouth?

Sep 25, 2010
Tugboat":1qyj0ysg said:
BcbC2312":1qyj0ysg said:

Bristol City
Plymouth Argyle
Swindon Town
Bournemouth
Bristol Rovers
Exeter City
Torquay United
Yeovil Town
Cheltenham Town

Since when have Swindon, Bournemouth and Cheltenham been in the South West.

Jan 12, 2020
BcbC2312":x2nsgh6u said:

Bristol City
Plymouth Argyle
Swindon Town
Bournemouth
Bristol Rovers
Exeter City
Torquay United
Yeovil Town
Cheltenham Town

Bournemouth, Swindon & Cheltenham are not the South West! Although I consider calling Bristol the SW a stretch :)

Jan 12, 2020
Martyn":3o72rtvx said:
Tugboat":3o72rtvx said:
BcbC2312":3o72rtvx said:

Bristol City
Plymouth Argyle
Swindon Town
Bournemouth
Bristol Rovers
Exeter City
Torquay United
Yeovil Town
Cheltenham Town

Precisely, it’s just laziness to class these areas as the South West or ‘Westcountry’ rather than think of a more suitable description of their locations.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
BcbC2312":2wng7l0c said:

Bristol City
Plymouth Argyle
Swindon Town
Bournemouth
Bristol Rovers
Exeter City
Torquay United
Yeovil Town
Cheltenham Town

I generally think of the west country as being Somerset, Devon, Dorset and Cornwall with the southwestern part of Gloucestershire (e.g. Stroud where I was born) and the western part of Wiltshire (e.g. Westbury where I lived until I was 3) just about making the cut, I'd draw the line at Swindon being in the west country and I don't really regard Bournemouth as being proper Dorset so I am kicking them out. Cheltenham is a tricky one. I think it just about makes the cut. So, for those reasons I am going to exclude Swindon and Bournemouth but include Forest Green Rovers and go for...

Bristol City
Plymouth Argyle
Bristol Rovers
Exeter City
Cheltenham Town
Forest Green Rovers
Yeovil Town
Torquay United

with the bottom three based mostly on current status and not league history.

I think the only real debate is whether Bristol Rovers or Argyle should be placed second, but obviously home bias kicks in here. If I had to put Swindon in then I think I'd put them just under Argyle and if I had to put Bournemouth in then they have to go top really but I'd say they are probably smaller than Bristol City really.

Jan 5, 2019
Tugboat":2hsnai3t said:
BcbC2312":2hsnai3t said:

Bristol City
Plymouth Argyle
Swindon Town
Bournemouth
Bristol Rovers
Exeter City
Torquay United
Yeovil Town
Cheltenham Town

Yeah think there's not much between us but I think we just edge it, they're more successful since 2015, but we've got bigger ground fan base & out edge them on location size too.

Jul 14, 2008
This is another one where league placing over the last few years seems to trump the rest of history. For me Bournemouth aren’t much bigger than Exeter.

It has to be City (Bristol obvs), Argyle and Rovers as the top three in that order even if you include Swindon and Bournemouth.

Jan 5, 2019
Martyn":3amtcjwr said:
Tugboat":3amtcjwr said:
BcbC2312":3amtcjwr said:

Bristol City
Plymouth Argyle
Swindon Town
Bournemouth
Bristol Rovers
Exeter City
Torquay United
Yeovil Town
Cheltenham Town

Course they are they're in our region, if you search the South West of England our wikipedia page includes the 3 inner counties Cornwall Devon Somerset & the 3 Outers Dorset Wiltshire & Gloucestershire of which Bristol was apart of historically way back.

Your opinion might differ which is fair enough, but it includes Bournemouth Swindon & Cheltenham in the sports teams from our region on the wikipedia page too.

Jan 5, 2019
Drake":2kh97jqz said:
BcbC2312":2kh97jqz said:

Bristol City
Plymouth Argyle
Swindon Town
Bournemouth
Bristol Rovers
Exeter City
Torquay United
Yeovil Town
Cheltenham Town

Bournemouth, Swindon & Cheltenham are not the South West! Although I consider calling Bristol the SW a stretch :)

Fair enough I can expect your opinion, it's just when our region is searched on wikipedia or wherever it tends to include them 3 & Bristol too :)

Jan 5, 2019
Drake":57uou8vg said:
Martyn":57uou8vg said:
Tugboat":57uou8vg said:
BcbC2312":57uou8vg said:

Bristol City
Plymouth Argyle
Swindon Town
Bournemouth
Bristol Rovers
Exeter City
Torquay United
Yeovil Town
Cheltenham Town

Precisely, it’s just laziness to class these areas as the South West or ‘Westcountry’ rather than think of a more suitable description of their locations.

That's your opinion & I except that but there are scenarios where they have been included in the south west, I somethings don't like, regional news itv southwest is Cornwall Devon half Somerset & Dorset, where as the ones you said aren't so Gloucestershire Wiltshire & half Dorset & Somerset are called ITV meridian so maybe meridian or wessex?

Jan 5, 2019
The Doctor":mmrqhit5 said:
BcbC2312":mmrqhit5 said:

Bristol City
Plymouth Argyle
Swindon Town
Bournemouth
Bristol Rovers
Exeter City
Torquay United
Yeovil Town
Cheltenham Town

I generally think of the west country as being Somerset, Devon, Dorset and Cornwall with the southwestern part of Gloucestershire (e.g. Stroud where I was born) and the western part of Wiltshire (e.g. Westbury where I lived until I was 3) just about making the cut, I'd draw the line at Swindon being in the west country and I don't really regard Bournemouth as being proper Dorset so I am kicking them out. Cheltenham is a tricky one. I think it just about makes the cut. So, for those reasons I am going to exclude Swindon and Bournemouth but include Forest Green Rovers and go for...

Bristol City
Plymouth Argyle
Bristol Rovers
Exeter City
Cheltenham Town
Forest Green Rovers
Yeovil Town
Torquay United

with the bottom three based mostly on current status and not league history.

I think the only real debate is whether Bristol Rovers or Argyle should be placed second, but obviously home bias kicks in here. If I had to put Swindon in then I think I'd put them just under Argyle and if I had to put Bournemouth in then they have to go top really but I'd say they are probably smaller than Bristol City really.

Cheers :thumbup: yeah some people with view us & gas or Bournemouth differently.

Jan 5, 2019
Herts_Green":2fm2l8hv said:
This is another one where league placing over the last few years seems to trump the rest of history. For me Bournemouth aren’t much bigger than Exeter.

It has to be City (Bristol obvs), Argyle and Rovers as the top three in that order even if you include Swindon and Bournemouth.

Yeah is tricky, & fair enough cheers for your thoughts on it :thumbup:

If I sub categories it I'd have done us & Bristol City big
Swindon & Bournemouth small but successful
Rovers & Exeter small but good following for our region
The rest small

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Drake":334dow6z said:
Martyn":334dow6z said:
Tugboat":334dow6z said:

That's your opinion & I except that but there are scenarios where they have been included in the south west, I somethings don't like, regional news itv southwest is Cornwall Devon half Somerset & Dorset, where as the ones you said aren't so Gloucestershire Wiltshire & half Dorset & Somerset are called ITV meridian so maybe meridian or wessex?

Well, having been born in southwestern Gloucestershire, lived in western Wiltshire, mostly brought up in central Somerset (lots of farming/country folk in my family) and then after University moving 'home and a bit further' to Plymouth (which, incidentally, I really don't think of as being in Devon... but that's another debate) and having spent much time and having links within and across the region (brother in Stroud, relations in Kimmeridge, lots of time in spent in Exmoor, occasional trips to the outback in Cornwall...) I'd say that it is quite possible to draw a line that goes down through southwestern Gloucestershire, western Wiltshire and western/central Dorset that marks a clear boundary. It goes from roughly Cheltenham (include it if you like, exclude it if you don't - I'm not fussed), down through Cirencester (yes), west of Swindon (Chippenham yes, Devizes yes [the z is he giveaway], Blandford Forum yes) and through Poole Harbour (Studland and Swanage yes, Poole and Bournemouth no). In an ideal world Bristol would be excluded but only needs to be if it continues to be positioned as i) the centre of the region and ii) aligned with the M4 corridor and proximity to London. If I find myself east of it then I get a distinct impression that the world has gone crazy, everyone is speeding around, people drive unnecessarily aggressively and it's the evil of money, money, money that drives everything [take note Bristol...]. I think anyone who IS westcountry at the core will feel this boundary. Some parts of Hereford could be given honorary status - not because of where they are but because of how they are and how they feel.

[quotes trimmed down a little to save space because obviously I have gone a little off topic...]