South west teams in size order | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

South west teams in size order

Sep 25, 2010
BcbC2312":2ndwc9rb said:
Martyn":2ndwc9rb said:
Tugboat":2ndwc9rb said:
BcbC2312":2ndwc9rb said:
Rainy afternoon, nothing else to do? so hopefully here's a good topic, west country clubs in size order do you agree?

Bristol City
Plymouth Argyle
Swindon Town
Bournemouth
Bristol Rovers
Exeter City
Torquay United
Yeovil Town
Cheltenham Town

Football League sized clubs only, not doing non league sized clubs like Forest Green Rovers.
Argyle above Bournemouth?

Since when have Swindon, Bournemouth and Cheltenham been in the South West.

Course they are they're in our region, if you search the South West of England our wikipedia page includes the 3 inner counties Cornwall Devon Somerset & the 3 Outers Dorset Wiltshire & Gloucestershire of which Bristol was apart of historically way back.

Your opinion might differ which is fair enough, but it includes Bournemouth Swindon & Cheltenham in the sports teams from our region on the wikipedia page too.

So you believe everything in Wikipedia.

Try looking at a map, Swindon in the South west , blimey ?

Did they do geography at school.

Mar 18, 2014
south west teams in order

Argyle
Exeter
Torquay

for me West Country starts around Taunton

Cheltenham highlights are shown on Midlands Today, says it all.

Brizzle clubs and Swindon - West of England, but not South West or West Country

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Never really understood the Westcountry tag, Why is it not South-Westcountry. Westcountry suggests all places west which could include Liverpool and Blackpool which are very much on the west coast whereas Plymouth is on the south coast.

Jan 12, 2020
Vampires11":2axq04fu said:

Argyle
Exeter
Torquay

:clap: :clap:

Jan 5, 2019
The Doctor":zgpf05q8 said:
Drake":zgpf05q8 said:
Martyn":zgpf05q8 said:
Tugboat":zgpf05q8 said:

Precisely, it’s just laziness to class these areas as the South West or ‘Westcountry’ rather than think of a more suitable description of their locations.

That's your opinion & I except that but there are scenarios where they have been included in the south west, I somethings don't like, regional news itv southwest is Cornwall Devon half Somerset & Dorset, where as the ones you said aren't so Gloucestershire Wiltshire & half Dorset & Somerset are called ITV meridian so maybe meridian or wessex?

Well, having been born in southwestern Gloucestershire, lived in western Wiltshire, mostly brought up in central Somerset (lots of farming/country folk in my family) and then after University moving 'home and a bit further' to Plymouth (which, incidentally, I really don't think of as being in Devon... but that's another debate) and having spent much time and having links within and across the region (brother in Stroud, relations in Kimmeridge, lots of time in spent in Exmoor, occasional trips to the outback in Cornwall...) I'd say that it is quite possible to draw a line that goes down through southwestern Gloucestershire, western Wiltshire and western/central Dorset that marks a clear boundary. It goes from roughly Cheltenham (include it if you like, exclude it if you don't - I'm not fussed), down through Cirencester (yes), west of Swindon (Chippenham yes, Devizes yes [the z is he giveaway], Blandford Forum yes) and through Poole Harbour (Studland and Swanage yes, Poole and Bournemouth no). In an ideal world Bristol would be excluded but only needs to be if it continues to be positioned as i) the centre of the region and ii) aligned with the M4 corridor and proximity to London. If I find myself east of it then I get a distinct impression that the world has gone crazy, everyone is speeding around, people drive unnecessarily aggressively and it's the evil of money, money, money that drives everything [take note Bristol...]. I think anyone who IS westcountry at the core will feel this boundary. Some parts of Hereford could be given honorary status - not because of where they are but because of how they are and how they feel.

[quotes trimmed down a little to save space because obviously I have gone a little off topic...]

No fair enough I can see your points, in some ways I agree like how certain outer county places like Bournemouth might feel different to being included, but other things like us not being in Devon I believe strongly that we are, as a plymouthian I am strongly passionate about my home city & county & believe the county boundaries define us, but again these are only my opinions every persons differ.

Jan 5, 2019
Martyn":11i94sjm said:
BcbC2312":11i94sjm said:
Martyn":11i94sjm said:
Tugboat":11i94sjm said:
BcbC2312":11i94sjm said:
Rainy afternoon, nothing else to do? so hopefully here's a good topic, west country clubs in size order do you agree?

Bristol City
Plymouth Argyle
Swindon Town
Bournemouth
Bristol Rovers
Exeter City
Torquay United
Yeovil Town
Cheltenham Town

Football League sized clubs only, not doing non league sized clubs like Forest Green Rovers.

Course they are they're in our region, if you search the South West of England our wikipedia page includes the 3 inner counties Cornwall Devon Somerset & the 3 Outers Dorset Wiltshire & Gloucestershire of which Bristol was apart of historically way back.

Your opinion might differ which is fair enough, but it includes Bournemouth Swindon & Cheltenham in the sports teams from our region on the wikipedia page too.

Nope as the same page splits the south east into southern England & east of England & puts Scunthorpe & Grimsby in the north & the rest of their county of Lincolnshire in the East Midlands, when it should be all East Midlands.

Yep looked at a map & yeah looks like South West England.

Yep what about yourself? :thumbup:

Jan 5, 2019
Vampires11":2ufvkjnh said:

Argyle
Exeter
Torquay

Fair enough I can see your points there :thumbup:

Jan 5, 2019
Lundan Cabbie":xgt254b2 said:
Never really understood the Westcountry tag, Why is it not South-Westcountry. Westcountry suggests all places west which could include Liverpool and Blackpool which are very much on the west coast whereas Plymouth is on the south coast.

Yeah I agree, west country is a confusing tag you say west that could be Plymouth Bristol Birmingham Manchester, but south west more direct.

Sep 25, 2010
BcbC2312":1ozyyyo1 said:
Martyn":1ozyyyo1 said:
Martyn":1ozyyyo1 said:
Tugboat":1ozyyyo1 said:

Bristol City
Plymouth Argyle
Swindon Town
Bournemouth
Bristol Rovers
Exeter City
Torquay United
Yeovil Town
Cheltenham Town

Nope as the same page splits the south east into southern England & east of England & puts Scunthorpe & Grimsby in the north & the rest of their county of Lincolnshire in the East Midlands, when it should be all East Midlands.

Yep looked at a map & yeah looks like South West England.

Yep what about yourself? :thumbup:

If you looked at a map, how can you say Swindon is in the SW..

It is over half way to London from Plymouth.