Southend v Argyle match thread | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Southend v Argyle match thread

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
plymouthboyuk":2joivbta said:
Sorry, Letheren is not the answer to any goalkeeping problems we have or might not have.
That was comical his attempt to save the second goal. He was all over the place. Against Oxford he was very lucky to get away not conceding a goal, from a back header. It’s Macey for me, or Matthews if we can afford to sign him on again.
He's done well (7 points from 9 games), and deserves to stay imo. I thought he did well last season as well. It's no time for a youngster.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
plymouthboyuk":34f5e4bg said:
Sorry, Letheren is not the answer to any goalkeeping problems we have or might not have.
That was comical his attempt to save the second goal. He was all over the place. Against Oxford he was very lucky to get away not conceding a goal, from a back header. It’s Macey for me, or Matthews if we can afford to sign him on again.

The difference in the confidence of the defence with Letheren and Macey is like night and day, and coupled with Letheren's unbeaten record I can't see how it's even an option to bring Macey back at the moment.

It could be that Letheren can help the new back four combination get confident together with an experienced keeper behind them, at which point Macey could come into a settled side and do much better.

Jul 12, 2016
Don't often agree with Biggs but I do in this case.Why change a winning formula when we have struggled all season to find one.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
I think if we were able to get Matthews then get him and make him number one for the rest of this season and the next few years. Sadly for Macey, he's had his chance here and we've found someone better.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
The-Pilgrim":1ug7vgdn said:
I think if we were able to get Matthews then get him and make him number one for the rest of this season and the next few years. Sadly for Macey, he's had his chance here and we've found someone better.
I don't think we could afford to sign him permanently as much as we want that.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
hoovermelon":1dqo9lha said:
jerryatricjanner":1dqo9lha said:
Beyton_Green":1dqo9lha said:
Where's # Sam Jones
Having a day off with Hoovermelon.

No day off here

Good win and needed.

Good to see us winning away from home again and will need to do that regularly

Same old defensive demons still in clear view

Sad that some stupid ignorant people cant resist having a personal dig

The really pathetic thing is that you actually remember historical posts and choose to comment
It is you that has created your historical posts and your extreme negativity sticks in people's minds.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Biggs":1dfiy8no said:
plymouthboyuk":1dfiy8no said:

The difference in the confidence of the defence with Letheren and Macey is like night and day, and coupled with Letheren's unbeaten record I can't see how it's even an option to bring Macey back at the moment.

It could be that Letheren can help the new back four combination get confident together with an experienced keeper behind them, at which point Macey could come into a settled side and do much better.

The reason the defence has been better over the last few games is because it’s been made up of our best defenders! This hadn’t been the case all season til now due to injury and illness.

It’s bewildering to read that it’s’ got anything to do with Letheren.

He’s earned the right to keep his place but was hopelessly exposed today for Southend’s 2nd goal, which was pretty much the only save he had to make all game.

Reason Southend had so few chances?

Our midfielders were totally on it, we pressed from the front, and our defence is made up of our most experienced, and thus best organised, defenders.

Jul 12, 2016
Nothing to do with Letheren! you obviously haven't got a clue.He has been the reason the defenders feel more confident . He organises the defence, shouts instructions and how he can be criticized for not stopping a penalty and conceding a fluke goal is beyond me.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
oldage":1xsh5a9y said:
Nothing to do with Letheren! you obviously haven't got a clue.He has been the reason the defenders feel more confident . He organises the defence, shouts instructions and how he can be criticized for not stopping a penalty and conceding a fluke goal is beyond me.

This.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Glad to hear that we are playing well at last but I don't think it unfair to ask: what took us so long? The personnel have been there all along.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
oldage":prm7l0a1 said:

Nail, head.

As an aside, it would be great to see Remi back, although I remember some posters having reservations about how vocal he was with the defence. Something that Letheren is obviously good at and has made the defence more organised.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
It looks like it was a fantastic performance keeping this years run unbeaten going,surely Adams must get some credit for his tactics.

Looking at the second goal a more agile (less bulk) keeper would have got to the ball.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Green_Matt":2qtdyh7d said:
Glad to hear that we are playing well at last but I don't think it unfair to ask: what took us so long? The personnel have been there all along.
Injuries to Gary Sawyer, Niall Canavan and health issues for Ryan Edwards have contributed to our problems and have resulted in a destabilised defence that has resulted in lack of confidence throughout the team. That’s not the simple answer but performances certainly seem to have improved since these 3 have returned to fitness and form.

May 30, 2008
Camberley, Surrey
memory man":cks6l6gi said:
hoovermelon":cks6l6gi said:
jerryatricjanner":cks6l6gi said:
Beyton_Green":cks6l6gi said:
Where's # Sam Jones
Having a day off with Hoovermelon.

No day off here

Good win and needed.

Good to see us winning away from home again and will need to do that regularly

Same old defensive demons still in clear view

Sad that some stupid ignorant people cant resist having a personal dig

The really pathetic thing is that you actually remember historical posts and choose to comment
It is you that has created your historical posts and your extreme negativity sticks in people's minds.

Your Mind, obsessed stalker

As it goes, your relentless unfounded optimisim sticks in my mind

Horses for courses eh

Oct 31, 2015
davie nine":qpj8a6r5 said:
Green_Matt":qpj8a6r5 said:
Injuries to Gary Sawyer, Niall Canavan and health issues for Ryan Edwards have contributed to our problems and have resulted in a destabilised defence that has resulted in lack of confidence throughout the team. That’s not the simple answer but performances certainly seem to have improved since these 3 have returned to fitness and form.

Also playing Lamerias,GC10,Fox and Songo together. Pressing higher and being more attack minded. Also having a keeper who talks and can kick.

All these points have improved our game as well and the above have been available for most of the season, particularly the pressing and more attack minded football.

Agree a settled defence will help and our current back 5 is proving to be our best back 5