Southend v Argyle match thread | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Southend v Argyle match thread

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Justin":27naeqzb said:
The reason the defence has been better over the last few games is because it’s been made up of our best defenders! This hadn’t been the case all season til now due to injury and illness.

It’s bewildering to read that it’s’ got anything to do with Letheren.

He’s earned the right to keep his place but was hopelessly exposed today for Southend’s 2nd goal, which was pretty much the only save he had to make all game.

Reason Southend had so few chances?

Our midfielders were totally on it, we pressed from the front, and our defence is made up of our most experienced, and thus best organised, defenders.

Disagree. Apart from the bit about Letheren earning the right to keep his place.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Green_Matt":34yxyec8 said:
Glad to hear that we are playing well at last but I don't think it unfair to ask: what took us so long? The personnel have been there all along.

Nail, head.

Matt Macey seemed like a good signing on paper, and I remember the thread and everybody was really happy, but it hasn't worked out and Letheren on his performances thus far should've been given a chance from the start. In fact I remember making a thread about it asking if we would be happy with Letheren as 1st choice and some said yes, some said we needed a new keeper.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
It's being done on the other thread Justin, but it's astonishing that you can say the improvement has nothing to do with Letheren.

I'm sure Macey will be a good keeper, but he visibly spreads indecision with his command of the area, distribution and lack of confidence.

Put an experienced and confident keeper in the side and it's been a night and day difference. You say Letheren had nothing to do, but he actually dealt with numerous tricky backpasses and crosses that would previously have caused panic, not to mention a general communication and assuredness that helps prevent the defence getting opened up in the first place.

Sep 6, 2006
I would say its more astonishing that you think Letheren is a major factor in the improvement when he has done so little and there are so many other reasons. Pretty sure I know what you would be saying if Macey had let in a shot from 50 plus yards!

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
Balham_Green":2md3kanx said:
I would say its more astonishing that you think Letheren is a major factor in the improvement when he has done so little and there are so many other reasons. Pretty sure I know what you would be saying if Macey had let in a shot from 50 plus yards!

Can you categorically say he has nothing to do with the improvement? 7 points out of 9 with him in goal is a pretty big thing to argue against.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Biggs":nsxo4br4 said:
It's being done on the other thread Justin, but it's astonishing that you can say the improvement has nothing to do with Letheren.

I'm sure Macey will be a good keeper, but he visibly spreads indecision with his command of the area, distribution and lack of confidence.

Put an experienced and confident keeper in the side and it's been a night and day difference. You say Letheren had nothing to do, but he actually dealt with numerous tricky backpasses and crosses that would previously have caused panic, not to mention a general communication and assuredness that helps prevent the defence getting opened up in the first place.

Seems obvious that the defence look more assured and confident in front ofLetheren.

Sep 6, 2006
The-Pilgrim":k8lmqxoa said:
Balham_Green":k8lmqxoa said:

Can you categorically say he has nothing to do with the improvement? 7 points out of 9 with him in goal is a pretty big thing to argue against.

How many saves has he made? 3 games is a small snspshot. 2 games v poor sides. Burton nothing special too.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Biggs":2vy5j5na said:
Do you think goalkeeping is all about making saves?

Did you see Letheren’s disastrous performance at home to Swindon this season? (Just to remind you we lost 3-0 )

Jul 12, 2016
What has this got to do with the current situation? How pathetic having a go at a goalkeeper who has helped to stabilise a previously suspect defence.

Mar 16, 2009
London
oldage":3rl5vu8c said:
What has this got to do with the current situation? How pathetic having a go at a goalkeeper who has helped to stabilise a previously suspect defence.

The point is he wasn’t commanding his defence or his area that night.

Why?

Because the defence was inadequate.
Much as it has been for many matches this seasn, with Macey usually being made the scape goat on those occasions. Apparently multiple saves made due to countless unforced errors and bad zonal marking mean nothing either.

It’s evidence of the point Balham Green’s making above.

Is that too difficult for you to understand Oldage?

Mar 16, 2009
London
IJN":3467go32 said:
I agree with Justin, that Swindon game put me right off him.

That’s what did it for me too Ian.

Harsh maybe to judge on one performance, but his limitations were hopelessly exposed that night.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Justin":3miuryco said:
IJN":3miuryco said:
I agree with Justin, that Swindon game put me right off him.

That’s what did it for me too Ian.

Harsh maybe to judge on one performance, but his limitations were hopelessly exposed that night.

Well now you have four performances to judge from. One was a less than meaningless Checkatrade tie, and the other three were crucial league games under immense pressure.

You’re picking the meaningless one to judge.

I don’t think Letheren is a long term number one either, but there’s no way Macey should be replacing him at the moment.