Successful season or not? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Successful season or not?

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
To stay in the league was the main objective- we have managed to stop the rot on two separate occasions & climb back up the table.

We all have opinions on what is success & what is failure

Unfortunately we have no say on who will stay & who will leave- im sure RL already knows who is leaving but my hope is that he gets suitable replacements for the gaps that are left (after all he has a rather large contact book- or should i say he is rather good at networking)

My only wish is that we have a decent defence for next season & that we dont have 2nd half malaise syndrome

Apr 1, 2009
mutley marvel":2f7ttufb said:
To stay in the league was the main objective- we have managed to stop the rot on two separate occasions & climb back up the table.

We all have opinions on what is success & what is failure

Unfortunately we have no say on who will stay & who will leave- im sure RL already knows who is leaving but my hope is that he gets suitable replacements for the gaps that are left (after all he has a rather large contact book- or should i say he is rather good at networking)

My only wish is that we have a decent defence for next season & that we dont have 2nd half malaise syndrome

Wouldn't bank on RL knowing who is leaving. He wasn't sure about McFadzean for a long time last year. Players keep their options open at this stage, as they are entitled to.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Priority for any promoted team has to be to stay up in the first season. That in my eyes is success.

We’re still building, still learning and still developing.

This season was a skills test. What we have compared to what we are up against and what we need for next season.

Don’t just look at the final league position. Look at all the experiences had. All the data received. All of the ups and downs the will give us valuable knowledge for moving forward.

We know what L1 is about, what we are about and where and how to improve. Let’s do that and see where it takes us.

Success all day long for me.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
The green tints have had a flirt with the playoffs and some nice football to drool over, the brown tints have had a couple of dreadful runs and some shocking defending to moan about, while the more balanced of us will hopefully have a nice comfortable mid-table finish. Success all round!

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
It looks like we'll finish midtable in our first season back in League one. The football has been entertaining to watch if a little nerve-wracking at times. So yes It's been a success and we must hope that the close season sees the best players retained and signings made that make us stronger in central defence and give options in the wing back positions.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
As others have said, it's too early to call this season one way or another. It's a bit like not reading the final chapter of a book or leaving the cinema as the film comes to a climax.

I am firmly half-empty in my outlook but I cannot understand the negativity of those who say that just staying up in League 1 constitutes a successful season, I think they're confusing Argyle with Rochdale or Wimbledon. Portsmouth have been in the League 1 promotion shake-up in each of the 3 seasons since they came up with us in 2017; that is who we should be aligning our outlook and ambition with.

Having just missed the League 1 Play-offs in 2018, relegation in 2019 was absolutely ridiculous. We never should have been in League 2 in the first place and to say that just staying up this season is a success rings a bit hollow for me. I didn't expect promotion this season but I hoped for a comfortable top-10 finish as the pre-cursor to a real go at the Play-offs next season.

Perhaps the poster who said that next season is the time to assess the success or otherwise of this season was correct. With the loanees presumably returning to their parent clubs and the likes of Mayor and others off to pastures new, Lowe could have a major rebuilding job and what may have been achieved this season could be largely nullified, as he will have to start again with another load of new players.

We are constantly being told that there is a long-term plan in place and we are building something.

However, I'm not sure what we are building if the components are journeyman players on short-term contracts and a Kindergarten for Premiership kids at the bottom of a steep learning curve.

Time will tell what Lowe has learnt from this season, both about the players who do remain at HP and about what is required to be successful in League 1.

Many of us think he has stumbled on to a better system of playing which is more suited to the players he has and the League that we are in. But I fear he will want to revert to his preferred style of 3 at the back playing walking-pace, predictable football which leaves us wide open on the flanks and very vulnerable to the counter-attack.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
demportdave":qv46c5xk said:
As others have said, it's too early to call this season one way or another. It's a bit like not reading the final chapter of a book or leaving the cinema as the film comes to a climax.

I am firmly half-empty in my outlook but I cannot understand the negativity of those who say that just staying up in League 1 constitutes a successful season, I think they're confusing Argyle with Rochdale or Wimbledon. Portsmouth have been in the League 1 promotion shake-up in each of the 3 seasons since they came up with us in 2017; that is who we should be aligning our outlook and ambition with.

Having just missed the League 1 Play-offs in 2018, relegation in 2019 was absolutely ridiculous. We never should have been in League 2 in the first place and to say that just staying up this season is a success rings a bit hollow for me. I didn't expect promotion this season but I hoped for a comfortable top-10 finish as the pre-cursor to a real go at the Play-offs next season.

Perhaps the poster who said that next season is the time to assess the success or otherwise of this season was correct. With the loanees presumably returning to their parent clubs and the likes of Mayor and others off to pastures new, Lowe could have a major rebuilding job and what may have been achieved this season could be largely nullified, as he will have to start again with another load of new players.

We are constantly being told that there is a long-term plan in place and we are building something.

However, I'm not sure what we are building if the components are journeyman players on short-term contracts and a Kindergarten for Premiership kids at the bottom of a steep learning curve.

Time will tell what Lowe has learnt from this season, both about the players who do remain at HP and about what is required to be successful in League 1.

Many of us think he has stumbled on to a better system of playing which is more suited to the players he has and the League that we are in. But I fear he will want to revert to his preferred style of 3 at the back playing walking-pace, predictable football which leaves us wide open on the flanks and very vulnerable to the counter-attack.

Tough day DD?

You say glass half empty.. more like glass dropped on the floor and smashed into a thousand pieces!

Jeez :sad:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I don’t really care what formation he calls it. Basically, we seem to have established a formation that ensures that when the wing backs (full backs) bomb forward someone else, one of 2 defensive midfielders, will hold back to cover.
I noticed that, in his post Blackpool interview, he actually referred to Joe Edwards, who scored the equaliser, as a full back not a wing back. Quote: “8 goals from a right wing back position, albeit right back today”.
It would not surprise me if he retains this system.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Tugboat":3tbmccgn said:
demportdave":3tbmccgn said:

Tough day DD?

You say glass half empty.. more like glass dropped on the floor and smashed into a thousand pieces!

I'm sorry but I just don't think survival in Division 3 constitutes a successful season.

How negative us that?

Mar 8, 2016
On the whole we’ve done well with a couple of bad runs which have been frustrating. I think defensively we’ve been very poor in far to many games though and that has to be improved for next season and beyond. But staying clear of a relegation battle and getting to the 4th round of the FA with such a young team has to be deemed as a successful season.

Jul 12, 2016
demportdave":2fiyq6et said:
Tugboat":2fiyq6et said:
demportdave":2fiyq6et said:

Tough day DD?

I'm sorry but I just don't think survival in Division 3 constitutes a successful season.

How negative us that?
I don't think you are being negative. I understand what you are saying and in normal circumstances I would agree with you but with the pandemic, no crowds, reduced income etc we have maintained our status which was the main requirement.

Sep 6, 2006
oldage":1esr5eg1 said:
demportdave":1esr5eg1 said:
Tugboat":1esr5eg1 said:
demportdave":1esr5eg1 said:

Tough day DD?

How negative us that?
I don't think you are being negative. I understand what you are saying and in normal circumstances I would agree with you but with the pandemic, no crowds, reduced income etc we have maintained our status which was the main requirement.

And yet you continually criticise the manager.

Jul 12, 2016
Balham_Green":2ua6dq4j said:
oldage":2ua6dq4j said:
demportdave":2ua6dq4j said:
Tugboat":2ua6dq4j said:
demportdave":2ua6dq4j said:

Tough day DD?

How negative us that?

And yet you continually criticise the manager.
I still do not rate Lowe ,nothing has changed.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
Staying up is most certainly a successful season. Promoted teams generally give the successful players a chance to prove themselves stepping up. they were tried and tested and jettisoned, Nouble, Wootton and Canavan. More will be at the end of the season. So we are seeing proactive management in that sense.
The other is the change of tactics. Albeit too late for us impatient fans but it has shown a flexibility some didn't think existed. This will help us next season.
I'm very interested to see how we progress into next season and that will be the true litmus test on Lowes credentials as a manager at this level. We are building a spine of a team. I would suggest they know that a leader and dominating CB able to play in a 3 or a 2 is probably the most important signing. Oh for Zac Vyner, I think he would have excelled in this set up.
If we address the defensive issues and keep creating chances we will be challenging next season.

I'm still not entirely convinced about Lowe but he has so much more at his disposal in terms of set up, support and structure than DA had in the same situation. There will be no excuses if we're at the wrong end come November.