Successful season or not? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Successful season or not?

Oct 31, 2015
I will be happy with mid table and if we finish there with no scares I will call it a success.

There have been frustrations though which have kniggled:-

We all knew the defensive unit would be inept last summer but it seems (and it's only an observation we don't really know) that nothing was done to improve the situation.

The inane way the back 3 was stuck to when the players were obviously not good enough was soooo frustrating. Almost DA esq.

DM10 going quiet in games far too often.

Positives :-

Young cooper. The correct decision to throw him in and I accept I was wrong.

Some of the permanent signings have shown intent. Ennis could be something else.

Sometimes the style of play was superb to watch and beats our previous tactics hands down for watching.

The age of the squad is very young and they will have learnt from this season.

Joe Edwards as Captain. Conor Grant the Mr Swiss army knife of the team, Jeffers 2020 goal scoring.

My worry

Have we really got foundations in the team that springs us forward next season. Too many loan players to say foundations have been put in place in my opinion.

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
I think neither good nor bad but 'satisfactory'. Good that we should be secure in League 1 but frustrating because of chronic inconsistency throughout season. We have had long runs of excellent performances in automatic promotion form and long runs of very poor performances in definite relegation form, and also good first halves and bad second halves. I suppose overall 'successful' because we should still be in League 1 next season but let us hope for more consistency then.
Onwards and upwards.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Satisfactory is about the right word.

Can't help but feel like we are not making the most of Danny Mayor and he's one of our best chances of getting out of this league.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
I think it's a bit premature to decide but so far it's been OK. There have been lots of ups and downs: a hint of play-offs followed by a hint of relegation fight but neither became particularly real. Some of the football going forward has been really exciting, usually when it involves DM10 (who I'm not convinced will be leaving this Summer), some of the defending has had me shouting at the screen in frustration. Whatever happens in the last few games, I don't think we'll remember this as a good or bad season. I can't wait to see what happens in 2021-22!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
It has been good to watch home and away league games this season. One small consolation for having to live through these difficult times.
I admire and envy supporters who have travelled the length of the country for many years.
A satisfactory season overall.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Cobi Budge":3glwicsk said:
Neither a good season nor a bad season.

Ups and downs.

Satisfactory.

Could do better. See me after geography!

Lewis!! 50 lines: I must not be suckered by a cheat in the penalty area.

Mayor!: 2 page essay. Why I won't shoot.

Opoku: Don't get booked boy!! There's a good lad!

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
I think it us crucial for us to secure DM for next season. Unlike some on here, other managers and other fans can see the quality he brings to our team. One manager (can't remember who) even said he would pay money to watch DM and I agree with him.
You need to see what the affect he has off the ball too. I for one will be very disappointed if he leaves in the summer.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
The Doctor":112p52gj said:
I'd say that overall it has been a success but, for me, this will only really become clear when we see how much of the experience that has been gained by young players this season is carried over to next season and whether the more senior pros choose to stay.

It has been a great season for the development of Cooper, Opoku, Watts, Fornah, Camara and Jephcott but only 3 of those 6 players are contracted to Argyle. If all of the loan players return to their parent clubs (include also Woods and Lewis) then we've done an awful lot of development work for just the long-term benefit of those clubs (or others that take these players next season). It would be even worse if one or more of our own young players leaves.

This season will certainly have been a success if we remain in League 1 (which we will) AND it gives us a strong foundation for next season's squad. If we have to bring in a whole new defence (is Aimson under contract) and lose senior players with experience (Edwards, Mayor) then we'll just be back to square one really.

I would include Ennis, Hardie who both signed permanently and also Adam Randell who I'm sure has developed his game in the National League with Torquay and will surely be involved in the first team picture next season.

Dec 30, 2020
It's easy to get wrapped up on what this season means for next season and beyond, but it won't become apparent for at least another year maybe longer. Supporting Argyle is supposed to be a fun hobby, and I'd prefer to concentrate on whether it's met realistic expectations of entertainment in the here and now.

The quality of the football has rarely matched the hype of the club's official communication channels, but if it did we'd probably be exhibiting our matches in the Louvre rather than playing them at Home Park. Nonetheless, we've produced some good stuff at times and there have been quite a few really exciting games this year.

The defensive errors, goals conceded from crosses and the two long runs of consecutive defeats have been annoying. But we've won almost as many as we've lost, had a good cup run, and having two two young players from Devon and Cornwall play such key roles has made the good results all the more enjoyable.

With everything else going on in the world, watching Argyle has been very welcome respite, even if it's only a facsimile of doing so in person at a full stadium.

I'd give the season a satisfactory 7/10

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
The only thing you can measure success against is your targets. If our target for the season was promotion then, no, it's not been a successful season. If it was to stay up then yes it was.

I believe our aim for this season was somewhere in between, which is where we currently are, albeit with a few games to play. You can look at individual instances where we could have done better and, yes, two 6-game losing streaks wasn't great but we also had a couple decent unbeaten runs in there as well. Overall, I would say that what we have achieved, set against our targets for the season, it has been successful.... not massively, but successful enough.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I reckon we may end up with 59 or 60 points, which for a first season back in the "big" time ( :greensmile: ), I think it is satisfactory at least.

As this season is sort of dying out as a competition for us, I think the success will be more of a measure as to who we can re-sign a the end of the season, Danny Boy, for instance, and who we can bring in. I see on RL´s pre match preview he talks about bringing in one or two leaders who can manage their colleagues on the pitch, and that is something I believe we can all agree we need.

Jan 27, 2012
I have a feeling that the playing budget (funded by Hallett) is the best it has been for a long time. Quite possibly the team has underperformed against that criteria- but provided they avoid relegation, which now seems almost certain, then its a good start back in League One. Entertaining to watch as well. If the team could defend they might have even been playoff contenders.

I do wonder what Adams would have done with the same playing budget. He is clearly a good manager, even though his more defensive style is not as much fun to watch. The bloke has done wonders at Morecombe.

C

Cult Of Personality

If we stay up it's a success. First season in any new league is always about staying up and then building on from there

Aug 5, 2016
PL2 3DQ":qwkma84k said:
HC Green":qwkma84k said:
After 38 games the points, goals scored, conceded and goal difference isn’t much different from 2018/19, so perhaps that is a good comparison.

4 points better off this season. The problem in 2018/2019 was that in the last 8 games we only picked up 5 points, that isn't going to happen this season.

And three of those points came on the last day of the season against Scunthorpe.

Which means we picked up a grand total of 2 points from a possible 21 in the seven league games before it.

All those last minute equalisers/winners we conceded that season when just one more point would have done.