Thank you Exeter City | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Thank you Exeter City

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Top6utd":28y9aq6p said:
saxman":28y9aq6p said:
Devongreenowl":28y9aq6p said:
Is he saying Ryan Lowe lacked motivation at the beginning of the season? I can’t really make sense of that very long bit in the middle. Ryan Lowe brought huge optimism to this club and when it didn’t immediately bear fruit, there were the usual moaners who are by and large being quiet for the time being.

He has been a breath of fresh air from day one and despite being very much an attack minded manager, he and his staff have sorted out the diabolical defence which he inherited. He’s now working on the strikers and early signs are really good. Jephcott and Hardie could be our own Doyle and Yates, who knows. It’s early days but all Argyle fans have every reason to be optimistic.

That has been very impressive. Considering what Lowe was left with in terms of players, and the good quality of the incomers and the completely new style of play, the whole thing is incredible. There have been some poor performances, but that's hardly surprising considering how long the team has been together. I think promotion would have been very likely regardless of the Exeter shambles as the team develops. Deffo the best football played by an Argyle side for many years.

I remember only one fan on here saying they were enjoying the football so much at that point of the season, even after the Exeter loss, but even I would be shocked if someone tells me here they thought we were 'playing the best football for years' after we lost to them, so yes that seems to be the turning point. Would make sense too....... I hate Exeter city. But I'll acknowledge it nonetheless.

I think the signs were there right from the start but generally, week in, week out the style of play has improved, faster, a bit more direct at times and increasingly more entertaining. I agree we weren't playing the best football in years in that shocking performance! No doubt it, and the angry reaction from the GA, helped focus minds within the management team and players alike. I don't expect Argyle to win every game from now on, but I would be surprised if they capitulate like that again this season. Don't waste your energy hating Exeter, it's not worth it!

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Ideally, we both go up. It’ll give us an extra two games to look forward to next season along with Rovers and Pompey (should they not go up). I think it’ll be a race to the finish between us and Crewe.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Still too early to talk about automatic promotion, not just Argyle but even the teams above us. There is a lot of football to be played between mid-January and the end of April and there will undoubtedly be a few twists and turns along the way.

Apart from the Cambridge and Swindon games, we have been on a good run over the last couple of months but we obviously need to keep it going.

Everyone is getting excited about young Jephcott and so they should, Hardie made a great start as well yesterday and took his goal well. However, I have a feeling that Bakinson is going to be the player who makes a big difference. Not only does he perform well himself but I think the likes of Mayor will benefit from playing alongside him.

Looking at our fixtures, February is going to be make or break regarding automatic promotion. We have 7 games of which 4 are away. We play Crewe at home and Colchester and Bradford City away. If we can maintain our current form through to March, we should be in a strong position to claim a top 3 place.

Sep 30, 2018
davie nine":1rp8sq0i said:
Top6utd":1rp8sq0i said:
Devongreenowl":1rp8sq0i said:
Is he saying Ryan Lowe lacked motivation at the beginning of the season? I can’t really make sense of that very long bit in the middle. Ryan Lowe brought huge optimism to this club and when it didn’t immediately bear fruit, there were the usual moaners who are by and large being quiet for the time being.

He has been a breath of fresh air from day one and despite being very much an attack minded manager, he and his staff have sorted out the diabolical defence which he inherited. He’s now working on the strikers and early signs are really good. Jephcott and Hardie could be our own Doyle and Yates, who knows. It’s early days but all Argyle fans have every reason to be optimistic.

Fair perspective Devongreenowl. And yes at the same time that is what I was saying. We had three recent league wins prior to that game, against Carlisle, Leyton Orient and Mansfield. And prior to those, we lost to teams like Cheltenham, Northampton, Newport, drawing against Swindon and then lost to Exeter. Since then we've beaten teams like Forest Green Rovers and Cheltenham away and Bradford home, despite losing to Swindon. And we've won 5 of the last six league games, which we never did before now this season (3 league wins in 5 at start of the season and again before Exeter loss was closest). So it would be hard to say that wasn't the turning point, based on what actually happened...but hey, different perspectives on facts, I suppose.
This post was much easier to understand than your opening post, Top6utd. Read it yourself and tell us what you were trying to say.
You seemed to be implying that, early in the season, Ryan Lowe was not motivated. If that was your opinion, you were very wrong. I believe that most of us realised that he was struggling to instil the same motivation into his players as he and Shuey have shown from day 1.
We now appear to be reaping the benefits and, if the addition of Bakinson and, probably, Hardie are examples of his motivation to strengthen the squad, it will prove that you should have been a bit more tolerant early in the season.

I’ll leave the past be then and just say that you’re right about now and the future with regards to our motivation under Ryan Lowe, davie nine. Our football is looking absolutely brilliant. Here’s to building a continuously strong team for 2020 and beyond.

Here’s a random question for you, who’s you’re favourite creative player for argyle right now? Or do you believe the whole team is now creative in general? Just interested because that’s what excites me the most with this argyle team, I wonder if you agree?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Currently, my favourite creative player is Danny Mayor. I also think that George Cooper creates great opportunities with his enticing crosses. Antoni Sarcevic has had a good all round season and seems so much fitter and quicker than last season.

I cannot yet comment about Tareeq Bakinson although, from what I have seen of highlights and read in reports, I cannot wait to see him play on Saturday as it appears that he also is very creative and will give Mayor more space to demonstrate his creative skills.

That is my opinion on creativity but I am very happy with the whole squad and I believe that the remaining games will be very exciting.

As I have already stated, management motivation has not been in question from day 1.

Mar 14, 2009
Thankyou Exeter City for thumping us 4-0.

Thankyou Exeter City for being 6pts ahead of us.

Thankyou Exeter City for having a decent manager who given the budget they have is doing a remarkably good job which makes it harder for us to get promoted.

All seems strange to me to this thread. Thank you isn’t my first word that springs to mind.

Sep 30, 2018
Metal_Green_Mickey":28husv1l said:
Thankyou Exeter City for thumping us 4-0.

Thankyou Exeter City for being 6pts ahead of us.

Thankyou Exeter City for having a decent manager who given the budget they have is doing a remarkably good job which makes it harder for us to get promoted.

All seems strange to me to this thread. Thank you isn’t my first word that springs to mind.

It's been brought up before by others, that the title is not important or even necessarily the point, and although I don't always make sense in my opening posts, it generates a good debate. For myself the debate is actually about what will make argyle have a good season next season, like all the other seasons before and this season proved that Exeter was the turning point because of obvious motivation factors, (and thank you is just a word....or two). Others disagree with my view....and that's great.

I'm now more confident about next season in league one. So yes, for that, as has been proven, I say thank you for shaming us into realising that we want to get promoted ahead of you, and show you what's what, because before that, we were just a good footballing side with no direction. Now we remember who we are and where we want to go, and Ryan Lowe certainly knows, and it's brilliant to watch and see.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
On the subject of our friends up the road - on the radio this weekend I heard a couple of things about their academy that if true (and I heard right) left me green with envy :coat: .

Firstly they were absolutely raving about Ollie Watkins in the Brentford game on Radio 5 and they were saying big clubs are now chasing him with a £27m price fee being bandied around and - get this - apparently Exeter may have a 20% sell on fee according to some City supporting neighbours of mine (surely not?)....... Then, on Radio Devon (must admit I was only half listening while they covered the end of the City game) but they started going on about some 15 year old super-star prospect that they have in their academy that the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool & Barcelona (yes - they said that!) are chasing. Indeed they started crowing about how brilliant their academy is and how all the big clubs in Europe are paying attention to it. Anyone know about this and can shoot it down if nonsense please?

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
I think what you said about Ollie Watkins is true, i'm not 100% of the percentage but there was definitely a sell on when he left.

I've seen him 4-5 times this year (one of my best mates is a lifelong Bee) - he has been outstanding, i'd be surprised if it wasn't more than £27 mil - just based on the fact Newcastle and Villa both spent huge money on new No 9s - Joelinton and Wesley (both in excess of £30 mil) and neither from what i've seen are anywhere near Watkins.

The value of a true Number 9 cant be underestimated - just look at Watford, dead and buried 6 weeks ago - Troy Deeney returns from injury and they look a top half side. He has been MOM 3 times in 4 games.

Its a nice windfall for them up the road, and whilst it will cause angst on here, its thoroughly deserved, if you take the time and money to invest in these kids, every now and then you'll unearth a diamond, it will pay for them to develop others for years to come. I made comments of the Josh Grant thread, that he is someone who could one day be a valuable asset, whilst the likes of Mayor are for the here and now, he has no sell on value to Argyle, Jephcott might, Josh Grant might (if we buy him) - that has to be a consideration when taking any player on at our level.

Sep 30, 2018
Devongreenowl":b1h03j62 said:
Moderator - can we close or at least rename this thread please? I’m finding it controlling and coercive every time I see the title on the app. Thanks
:whistle:

Being honest I asked someone if someone read a title or post and didn't like it, do they have to read it or write on it, and if they don't, are they being coerced in any way psychologically or psysically and that person said....no they are not being coerced. So while your not being coerced by me or the title of the post, I'm sure you are annoyed about something genuinely, but your are not being coerced as there is no force or threat towards you, so I'm sorry you feel that way Devongreenowl. It is a backhanded title, as I'm somewhat being sarcastic and aggressive towards Exeter as I really hope they finish below us for as long as football exists. So I'm delighted we are going to finish ahead of them, at least that's what I believe. Surely you can understand the intention of the title?

Sep 30, 2018
If you say so Devongreenowl, it's good to take someone's seriously when they mention moderator on here though. But I stand by my title and it's obvious intention. I mean we're all argyle fans right, at least I flaming well ope so. I never got my dad as an argyle fan liking Exeter city.....what??????

May 16, 2016
You may indeed have said Tongue in Cheek Devongreenowl but, how would anyone know if you were being serious or literal ? What if you actually had your Tongue in your Cheek and while composing your Post, you bit it ? Who would you blame - yourself or the OP ?

Let me say you'd have no recourse with the OP Poster as I've seen no evidence of Coercing or Physclogical manipulation. The fault would be yours in so much as it's your fault.

What if someone from our younger fraternity was reading PASOTI while bouncing on a Trampoline (their own or someone else's like a Cousin or even at that place up Derriford) and bit their own Tongue ? You'd be feeling pretty guilty then wouldn't you.

It's about time some people took the Posts on here seriously.

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Ave_IT":8qv3tuxu said:
On the subject of our friends up the road - on the radio this weekend I heard a couple of things about their academy that if true (and I heard right) left me green with envy :coat: .

Firstly they were absolutely raving about Ollie Watkins in the Brentford game on Radio 5 and they were saying big clubs are now chasing him with a £27m price fee being bandied around and - get this - apparently Exeter may have a 20% sell on fee according to some City supporting neighbours of mine (surely not?)....... Then, on Radio Devon (must admit I was only half listening while they covered the end of the City game) but they started going on about some 15 year old super-star prospect that they have in their academy that the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool & Barcelona (yes - they said that!) are chasing. Indeed they started crowing about how brilliant their academy is and how all the big clubs in Europe are paying attention to it. Anyone know about this and can shoot it down if nonsense please?

Don't worry about the 15yo - EPPP will see they get sod all for him.