The difficulties of being an expat Argyle supporter | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The difficulties of being an expat Argyle supporter

Sep 6, 2006
Ollieargyle9":1byfaxip said:
lambanog":1byfaxip said:
I, like many other Argyle supporters, have chosen to live/retire abroad, born in Plymouth and served with 29 Cdo, I have lived in Asia for over 40 years.
The time difference between my Asian location and the UK is 7 or 8 hours ahead, for a lot of other expats it's a lot more, so obviously watching Argyle live at Home Park is impossible, yet we share the same passion as home based supporters do. For most of us we get the results and write ups from PASOTI on the Sunday mornings.
Expats living abroad, usually do so because they are retired or experienced enough to attract larger salaries than uk based fans. Being based abroad also expands our culture and with this comes different angles of awareness of life.
In the last couple of hours Tin Tin, who like me works in China, was verbally attacked by a Pasoti member because he stated he was relaxing on a Philippine beach. Why the attack ? Was it jealousy, or did Balham Green not realise for expats working in such places as China, a holiday to the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam etc is akin to the likes of BG relaxing in Brighton or Blackpool.
At the end of the day, we are all supporters of Argyle which is what counts so let's stop this childish trolling....pleases

You'd think with all that "extra experience" and your oh so expanded "cultural awareness" you'd have picked up a tip or two on letting things go over your head, especially when they're not even aimed at you.

I'm sure Tin Tin is more than capable of fighting his own corner. If he was in the slightest bit upset by BG's fairly harmless comment then quite frankly those Phillipean beaches can't be all that, I hope this doesn't make you too jealous but the last thing I'd be thinking about on a beautiful Cornish beach would be Balham Green.

Why thnk you Ollie!

Sep 6, 2006
budock":5q3nmxvx said:
I also now live abroad in Portland, Oregon. Life took me here, not money or education! I consider myself blessed to have this lifestyle....and better weather.

I religiously get up at 6am to watch/listen to my team, swearing out loud or pumping me fist through the whole 90+ mins. Us expats are as green, passionate and loyal as anybody else on this site.

Saying all that, I TRULY appreciate every single supporter that goes to any home and away match. We would not have a club without you!! Also thanks to all those who take the time to update/post to this site. The banter is what gets us through till the next match

Weather forecast for Portland. Tues. Rain. Wed. Rain. Thur Rain. Sounds like the 'green green grass of home'.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
lambanog":2f33mmr9 said:
Being based abroad also expands our culture and with this comes different angles of awareness of life.

That made me smile. As author of THE most homophobic post on this site, you have some gonads to make that declaration.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
IJN":3gf10i5x said:
lambanog":3gf10i5x said:
Being based abroad also expands our culture and with this comes different angles of awareness of life.

That made me smile. As author of THE most homophobic post on this site, you have some gonads to make that declaration.

I have to admit I did chuckle at that too. Of course us ignorant peasants who remain in the country on inferior salaries.... ;)

greeneagle

✅ Evergreen
Jan 26, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Loved being back in the UK From 2012 - 2015, House in Mount Wise, watching the Naval shipping and boats traversing back and fore. Hopping on the Cremyl ferry over to Mt Edgecoombe, meals/drinks at the various pubs with JJ's being special.
But more than all that , attending Home Park on a Saturday or Tuesday night, win, lose or draw was just magic.
Alas, family does come first, so here I am, back to late nights / early Mornings to listen to commentary, followed by reading all the "brief synopsis " match reports etc.
So thankful for Pasoti and GOS in general, and Ian and Steve in particular. Wonderful sites for us expats.

Jan 30, 2017
lambanog":155fqlvi said:
Expats living abroad, usually do so because they are retired or experienced enough to attract larger salaries than uk based fans. Being based abroad also expands our culture and with this comes different angles of awareness of life.

*vomit*

What does being abroad do for your self-awareness, out of interest?

I went backpacking for a gap year. Spent the next year slowly dawning on me that nobody gives a poo.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Green90":1ajwo3d6 said:
lambanog":1ajwo3d6 said:

*vomit*

What does being abroad do for your self-awareness, out of interest?

I went backpacking for a gap year. Spent the next year slowly dawning on me that nobody gives a poo.

:lol:

Sep 13, 2003
If this beach in the Philippines was that good....then why was someone checking pasoti on their phone? I generally check Pasoti when I'm bored and have nothing to do....not when I'm having a great time in the open outdoors !

greeneagle":1x3imclj said:
Loved being back in the UK From 2012 - 2015, House in Mount Wise, watching the Naval shipping and boats traversing back and fore. Hopping on the Cremyl ferry over to Mt Edgecoombe, meals/drinks at the various pubs with JJ's being special.
But more than all that , attending Home Park on a Saturday or Tuesday night, win, lose or draw was just magic.
Alas, family does come first, so here I am, back to late nights / early Mornings to listen to commentary, followed by reading all the "Brief Synopsis (sponsored by Goldbergs Solicitors) " match reports etc.
So thankful for Pasoti and GOS in general, and Ian and Steve in particular. Wonderful sites for us expats.

You forgot the bit about having a beer or two with me in The Brit !! :whistle:

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
I’m in my final year of university and personally cannot wait to move back to Cornwall and attend home games again. Moving away, even for 3 years, has made me realise how much I take the south west for granted. I also love when people use this forum to boast of their lavish lifestyles and holidays, excellent.

I was going to add my comments on lambanog's OP but, as usual, the tone of the thread has degenerated into "who is a better supporter" TYPE of ritual.

A shame as some of the earlier comments, I found, very interesting.

But, as we know, WHEREVER we live, life goes on.

Even though, assumptions were being made in my case.

greeneagle

✅ Evergreen
Jan 26, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
TinTin":274wee7h said:
greeneagle":274wee7h said:
Alas, family does come first, so here I am, back to late nights / early Mornings to listen to commentary, followed by reading all the "Brief Synopsis (sponsored by Goldbergs Solicitors) (sponsored by Goldbergs Solicitors) " match reports etc.

You forgot the bit about having a beer or two with me in The Brit !! :whistle:

Very remiss of me .,apologies. Also the St Lukes midnight walk marshalling. Good times.