The fickle nature of Pasoti | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The fickle nature of Pasoti

Sep 6, 2006
Biggs":1l9mgk03 said:
oldage":1l9mgk03 said:
Simple question, Why did they fail to turn up on Saturday? What happened at Wembley in the playoffs?

How long have you been watching football? Surely you’re familiar with surprising results, poor performances and disappointing games. They don’t need an inquest and blame apportioned to someone, when the big picture is so good.

Of course there’s ‘something’ wrong. There’s something wrong at every football club. There was something wrong at Man City for them to crash out of the Champions League and lose to United from a 2-0 lead. There’s something wrong at Real Madrid for them to be a gazillion points behind Barcelona in the league. And there’s something wrong at Barca to throw away a three goal lead at Roma.

It’s FOOTBALL.

You and many others can’t seem to see the wood for the trees. Most football clubs would give anything to experience the consistent success and stability we’re getting under JB and DA, yet one game is all it takes for the volleys of criticism to start. It’s laughable.

He didn't even go to the game yet was talking about players not trying etc

Sep 6, 2006
HC Green":anmxc80s said:
oldage":anmxc80s said:
My point is that although we have done well, we could have done better.Would anybody like to speculate how our form has tailed off at the end of two seasons in succession?
Obviously Taylors absence has had an affect this season but the majority of our players seem unable to cope with the pressure.

Has our form tailed off for two seasons running, I wasn’t aware that it did last year, and has it this year?

Well we lost a game!

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
HC Green":2fbjjcn4 said:
oldage":2fbjjcn4 said:
My point is that although we have done well, we could have done better.Would anybody like to speculate how our form has tailed off at the end of two seasons in succession?
Obviously Taylors absence has had an affect this season but the majority of our players seem unable to cope with the pressure.

Has our form tailed off for two seasons running, I wasn’t aware that it did last year, and has it this year?
Last season we only lost 2 of our last 10 games whilst winning 6 of them. Not too bad I would say!

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Steve.PAFC2012":3txuo2zl said:
HC Green":3txuo2zl said:
oldage":3txuo2zl said:

Last season we only lost 2 of our last 10 games whilst winning 6 of them. Not too bad I would say!
It was actually five wins and one defeat and four draws. 19 points from 10 games. Not bad, but if you break it down to the last seven games it's won three, drawn three, lost one. 12 points from seven games and we made hard work of the Crawley and Crewe games. The only game we were comfortable at the end of last season was Newport which is why it probably feels like we struggled.

Jul 12, 2016
I always want the best for Argyle so it hurts that they didn'turn up at Wembley ,were pipped at the post to be Champions last season and could miss out on the playoffs this season.Granted I was not at Northampton but the general consensus confirmed by DA was that it was a poor performance.Against Portsmouth we were hardly convincing. I have already acknowledged in earlier posts that DA has done well to turn our season around

Jan 6, 2004
Anybody who travelled to Northampton has a right to criticise the team - like the play off final two years ago it was an abysmal performance at the worst possible time. Adams has done brilliantly but must take criticism for either not having an adequate replacement for Taylor or a better Plan B to play without a target man. The really frustrating thing is that he seems to have not learnt the lesson of the first third of the season that the team barely functions without Taylor and therefore decent back up is absolute essential. He gambled on Taylor staying fit and lost.

May 8, 2011
Green_Flash":jl5d6l51 said:
Anybody who travelled to Northampton has a right to criticise the team - like the play off final two years ago it was an abysmal performance at the worst possible time. Adams has done brilliantly but must take criticism for either not having an adequate replacement for Taylor or a better Plan B to play without a target man. The really frustrating thing is that he seems to have not learnt the lesson of the first third of the season that the team barely functions without Taylor and therefore decent back up is absolute essential. He gambled on Taylor staying fit and lost.

The two things you have seemed to have overlooked is that in January we weren’t in play off contention so we were looking at maintaining consolidation. The second point is was a decent backup available who would be prepared just to sit on the bench, I would be interested if you had a name in mind?

Jan 6, 2004
I am not sure what our position in January has to do with yesterday’s performance other than that position was due to Taylor’s previous injury and lessons have not been learned.

The only footballers I know are top internationals and Argyle players but surely there must have been better options than a winger who can’t win anything in the air to play as a back up target man?

May 8, 2011
Green_Flash said:
I am not sure what our position in January has to do with yesterday’s performance other than that position was due to Taylor’s previous injury and lessons have not been learned.

The only footballers I know are top internationals and Argyle players but surely there must have been better options than a winger who can’t win anything in the air to play as a back up target man?[/quote

On January 31st we were 13th, 9 points off 6th.

Because in January the expectation was consolidation, the expectation now is a play off place so a defeat now is more disappointing than it would have been in January.

The question still remains in January with the likelihood of a play off place slim, what decent back up player would come to Argyle to sit on the bench and maybe get a run out in the SWPL?

Oct 16, 2016
Less so the defeats than the nature of them. Performances have been lack lustre with a concerted lack of effort (imo)

Defeat is fine, that’s sport, being beaten by a better team is fine BUT a lack of effort is a different matter, the nature of the defeat

I suppose given the exertions of recent months and the depth of squad, lack thereof, perhaps disappointment is more acute at present?

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
oldage":1t5gffhi said:
Simple question, Why did they fail to turn up on Saturday? What happened at Wembley in the playoffs? I support the club through the good times and bad and will continue to do that when these players are long gone.I say it like I see it.
I am not going to agree with other posters who just cannot see any wrong.The team trained together last week with a view to beating Northampton.Despite DA's meticulous planning by all accounts we blew it.I hope we can win at Rochdale but am not confident.

:facepalm: I think you've forgotten that football is played by 2 teams. Please credit Wimbledon with having a 'spot on' game play. They 'double teamed' Carey and played front to back quickly. Got their tactics right and out played us on the day!

Jul 12, 2016
See Shanster's previous comment which is spot on.How come when the crunch games come along the other teams tend to up their game whereas our performance is lack lustre?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
oldage":1tftiiwn said:
See Shanster's previous comment which is spot on.How come when the crunch games come along the other teams tend to up their game whereas our performance is lack lustre?

Because you’re only picking the crunch games that we lost.

With this team, we’ve won promotion and could win a consecutive promotion. Plenty of crunch games there.

And if you’re taking it back to 2016 then I’m fairly sure the Pompey semi-finals were crunch games.