The new grandstand | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The new grandstand

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Argy1e":33ufcjd4 said:
tonycrowuk":33ufcjd4 said:
The Ginsters Stand proper cornish init lol

Should be left alone in my opinion. Always been the mayflower thats our history. We should not throw it away for some extra cash.
Don't moan if we get relegated or miss out on play-offs against sides who have sponsored stands/grounds then. The money they raise is substantial and can help with recruitment and opinions like yours there hold the club back.

Clearly James Brent's opinion has been holding the club back, because he is on record as saying the 'Mayflower' and 'Home Park' names are sacrosanct.

I could be very wrong, but I don't think the sponsorship money for one stand at League 1 level IS substantial at all.

And Tugboat is correct, it's been confirmed as the Mayflower Grandstand anyway so it's a moot point.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Bermudian Green":omeafmw9 said:
Argy1e":omeafmw9 said:
tonycrowuk":omeafmw9 said:

Should be left alone in my opinion. Always been the mayflower thats our history. We should not throw it away for some extra cash.
Don't moan if we get relegated or miss out on play-offs against sides who have sponsored stands/grounds then. The money they raise is substantial and can help with recruitment and opinions like yours there hold the club back.

Out of interest, how much are stand/ground naming rights worth at our level? I have no idea, but I can't believe it would be much different to say a thousand more on the attendance every week.
A thousand more on the attendance every week would be significant...But why must it be one or the other? Surely we should be looking to bring in more money where possible?

I don't know how much a League One side could make from it, but I do know how much a couple of National League sides make from it and it's a decent amount. We'd be stupid not to look to bring in money from it ourselves.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Biggs":1h9paacm said:
Argy1e":1h9paacm said:
tonycrowuk":1h9paacm said:

Clearly James Brent's opinion has been holding the club back, because he is on record as saying the 'Mayflower' and 'Home Park' names are sacrosanct.

I could be very wrong, but I don't think the sponsorship money for one stand at League 1 level IS substantial at all.

And Tugboat is correct, it's been confirmed as the Mayflower Grandstand anyway so it's a moot point.
In the sense that he didn't exploit the opportunity to bring money in through sponsorship, I'd say yes, he did. But overall he did a very good job. We did, at one point in his reign, have a stand sponsored too.

Sponsorship on all levels is huge. There are clubs in League One who make massive amounts through sponsorship. A lot of fans often say, our attendances are bigger than that clubs, so why can't we compete? The answer quite often is sponsorship.

And just on the last point, it was confirmed as that, yes. But by a Chairman who won't be chairman when it's opened. The plans may now change.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Argy1e":24c5tfxb said:
Biggs":24c5tfxb said:
Argy1e":24c5tfxb said:
tonycrowuk":24c5tfxb said:

In the sense that he didn't exploit the opportunity to bring money in through sponsorship, I'd say yes, he did. But overall he did a very good job. We did, at one point in his reign, have a stand sponsored too.

Sponsorship on all levels is huge. There are clubs in League One who make massive amounts through sponsorship. A lot of fans often say, our attendances are bigger than that clubs, so why can't we compete? The answer quite often is sponsorship.

And just on the last point, it was confirmed as that, yes. But by a Chairman who won't be chairman when it's opened. The plans may now change.

I, for one, am glad we never "sold out" to sponsors and give up the traditional names of the stands and the grounds.

When you head to stadiums with corporate names it feels like the heart of them have been ripped out in an attempt to chase cash.

If we don't need it (which we don't) we shouldn't change it.

Aug 3, 2017
We do not need it commensurate to your ambition and expections. If there was a significant material benefit to the stand being called The Ginsters Grandstand or The Puma Grandstand I wouldn’t complain. You think it will matter to long term supporters who will call it ...The Grandstand regardless?

The club have begun exploiting all sorts of sponsorships and I am glad. A back of shirt sponsor as but one example.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I don’t think a stand renaming is too much of an issue, though the Mayflower will 100% be the name for the next two years, for obvious reasons.

It’s the stadium renaming which should really never happen. Doesn’t matter if we all still refer to it as Home Park, you lose something when everyone else calls it... for example... TheRange.com Arena

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Quizmike":37ddkp3e said:
I don't know about League 1, but here's a really interesting article about how much stadium naming rights are worth in the Premier League

Basically, unless you are one of the big six it's not as much as you'd think. Huddersfield = £300,000.

http://stadiumdb.com/news/2018/02/engla ... ghts_worth
It's worth pointing out those are estimates rather than actual deals and it's difficult to see what they're based on. I don't know how much Huddersfield get, but I do know they recently signed a new deal worth substantially more than their previous one. There's a club in League Two who make a similar figure to that on stadium rights.

Aug 5, 2005
Argy1e":3c5mijjl said:
Quizmike":3c5mijjl said:
I don't know about League 1, but here's a really interesting article about how much stadium naming rights are worth in the Premier League

Basically, unless you are one of the big six it's not as much as you'd think. Huddersfield = £300,000.

It's worth pointing out those are estimates rather than actual deals and it's difficult to see what they're based on. I don't know how much Huddersfield get, but I do know they recently signed a new deal worth substantially more than their previous one. There's a club in League Two who make a similar figure to that on stadium rights.

I couldn't find any actual figures from the lower leagues so well done on finding that. Which on League 2 club is that?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Perhaps for 2020 the GS should be named 'The Mayflower' and the new bottom bit could be 'The Mayflower Steps'. Just a thought.

May 16, 2016
Argy1e":3ki9kylw said:
Quizmike":3ki9kylw said:

Please name the L2, L1 Clubs so it can be put into context. Surely the only L1 Clubs that realistically benefited from Sponsorship last Season, are the non promoted Clubs that finished above us ?

Jul 25, 2011
Willis88":3vifdmfr said:
Argy1e":3vifdmfr said:
Biggs":3vifdmfr said:
Argy1e":3vifdmfr said:
tonycrowuk":3vifdmfr said:

I, for one, am glad we never "sold out" to sponsors and give up the traditional names of the stands and the grounds.

When you head to stadiums with corporate names it feels like the heart of them have been ripped out in an attempt to chase cash.

If we don't need it (which we don't) we shouldn't change it.
I wholeheartedly agree and think selling the clubs soul to the corporate dollar is beneath contempt HOWEVER every stand has its price it just a matter of where the cut off point is. Then we find ourselves in Cardiff-Hull land ie Green is unlucky, Argyle’s a lousy name... name your price. Your shirts your grass, your name your ass. We want your soul.

Mar 8, 2016
I suppose it all depends what money is on offer. If Tribute were to offer argyle 500k a year for it to be called the Tribute grandstand for example, then I’m sure they would consider it. Money talks. Derek Adams is become more vocal on the fact that he needs more money going towards the playing staff.