The pitch? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The pitch?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Without a doubt. However as per my original post, the pitch is looking patchy. The first time I’ve seen it like for quite a while.

I reckon as Brian has said it’s the time of year, lack of light etc.

Won’t be long until spring.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
davie nine":35208yod said:
Martyn":35208yod said:
Quintrell_Green":35208yod said:
Having said the grass is not growing currently, I noted the mowers were out swiftly enough on the Lyndhurst side after the game, even before Argyle players had fully left the pitch

They always do it, straight away after each match
A lot of fans wouldn’t be there to see that, Martyn, would they?

Yes, imagine if one of the groundsman had a train or bus to catch or if he has a lovely wife! ;)
He could be straight on with the mower as soon as the extra time board went up!!
Vroom Vroom, get out of me way! Coming through!!

May 3, 2016
I think it looks worse this season, as last season it had lots of C*** on it, hence we were relegated.

Why do they still water it as we have had months of rain.
:-C

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Interesting discussion on J.Vine show on radio 2 today, about the petition in Brighton calling for them to switch off the floodlights at night. Apparently, they leave them on overnight every night to help the grass recover during low levels of sunlight during winter. 10,000 signatures so far calling them for them to switch them off due to local light pollution. Apparently it’s common practice. Do Argyle leave theirs on?

leeroy221

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
May 10, 2015
Devongreenowl":3rmbyijq said:
Interesting discussion on J.Vine show on radio 2 today, about the petition in Brighton calling for them to switch off the floodlights at night. Apparently, they leave them on overnight every night to help the grass recover during low levels of sunlight during winter. 10,000 signatures so far calling them for them to switch them off due to local light pollution. Apparently it’s common practice. Do Argyle leave theirs on?

That is quite intresting, i never knew that. As far as i know Argyle dont do that?
I also think we have been blessed with a great pitch for so long now that even the slightest thing is picked up now whereas days gone by nobody would even notice.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
If there is an issue on the Grandstand side (I haven’t noticed it personally) then obviously the rebuild may have contributed to any possible sunlight issues. We’ve all been remarking all season now great the pitch is from where we sit in the Lyndhurst, so this post has come as a bit of a surprise.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
I found another postponed game yesterday (amazingly the game was played two days later).

Things aren't what they used to be!

WEH1971-01-30.jpg

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
The machines they use after the game are to lift the grass and pick up bits that have been kicked out during the match that will die off. The strips on the pitch disappear as the grass is left facing up to help it grow.

The watering of the pitch is because its sand based. Imagine playing on a beach where the tide as been. The sand is compact. Where as if its dryed out it will break up very quickly.

Our pitch is looking very good for this time off year after months of rain, lack of day light and low temperatures.

Jul 12, 2016
CornishPaul":3fwmx9r0 said:
The machines they use after the game are to lift the grass and pick up bits that have been kicked out during the match that will die off. The strips on the pitch disappear as the grass is left facing up to help it grow.

The watering of the pitch is because its sand based. Imagine playing on a beach where the tide as been. The sand is compact. Where as if its dryed out it will break up very quickly.

Our pitch is looking very good for this time off year after months of rain, lack of day light and low temperatures.
Dried out! In the weather we have had it would be easier to grow rice!

Jul 14, 2008
CornishPaul":3r5fpyyj said:
Its sand based. The water drains away quickly. Thats the whole point.
I’m afraid some people still think about the Home Park pitch as if it’s like their back garden, hence the fact that there are always threads about whether a game is likely to be postponed when there has been some heavy rain.