Time for Lloyd Jones | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Time for Lloyd Jones

Apr 1, 2009
Edwards and Canavan are unlikely to be remembered as one of Argyle's great CB pairings. However in recent months they have both largely remained fit, established themselves a pair, and the team are not conceding many goals. This is a massive improvement on our early season defensive form, and even though neither looked great last night, their partnership should not be tossed away at a time where we are still not safe in L1.

Jones's professional career has included some games at L1 and L2 level, and experience in the Prem U21 competition (where he probably came across C Grant, Dyson, Macey, Moore and ASB, who have all experienced difficulties in making the transition to L1). It is not a standout CV, and he needs to await his chance. Agree with KiG that Jones's Wales age group games were a long time ago and have little relevance.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Keepitgreen":16ff8ast said:
JannerinCardiff":16ff8ast said:
I thought our CB’s looked shaky yesterday, not comfortable on the ball, lost possession, poor distribution not playing to Ladapo’s strengths and not really dominant in the air which is disappointing for two tall players.

I’ve seen Lloyd Jones play for Liverpool and Wales and he’s always impressed me, very very good in the air and looks assured and comfortable on the ball. Not slow either for a big lad.

I think it’s time he came into the side probably for Canavan I reckon.
I seem to recall that you recently said he was the best centre back at the club. I really don't know what you base that on. He's not exactly played many league games over the past 5 years and if you saw him play for Wales he must have been about 16/17 as he changed his allegiance to England. As others have said he'll get his chance when either Edwards or Canavan go through a bad patch or through injury to one of them.

I base most of what I have seen of Jones at Liverpool as it is more recent.. he’s also had good reviews in all of his games in an Argyle shirt. So yes I believe he currently is our best CB at the club and I feel we shouldn’t wait for a bad result to make our team stronger (imo) by including Lloyd Jones in our starting line up.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Don't rate Edwards never have done but he's ours unless big Llyoyd is coming back in the summer permanently which I wouldn't rule out then I would prefer persevering with our players rather than giving Lutons some experience

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Why would Lloyd want to sign for us if DA won’t play him. We’ll have far more chance of trying to get him permanently if he gives him a game.

May 16, 2016
JannerinCardiff":33wsadxj said:
Why would Lloyd want to sign for us if DA won’t play him. We’ll have far more chance of trying to get him permanently if he gives him a game.

Why stay at Luton if they don't play him ?

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I just think DA doesn’t like disrupting the team too much when we are picking up results.

Apr 1, 2009
JannerinCardiff":14k0ucoh said:
I just think DA doesn’t like disrupting the team too much when we are picking up results.

I imagine that you are absolutely right, and that the same would apply to most managers. Why change when it ain't broke?

Feb 28, 2016
Yes it is. Even Adams is saying he feels sorry for him not getting in the team. As a fellow Plymothian my loyalty is to him even if he isn’t our player. He made the right decision to leave when he did, I don’t think there can be any argument about that. It’s great to have him back and I sincerely hope this is the start for him here, not the end. I’m sympathetic to reasons why Adams is reluctant to start him whilst, at the same time. Im not supportive of those reasons. Him not starting Lloyd I can understand and it will create no additional anti Adams sentiment from me, however I do think there is a case to start him, as has been outlined by others and I do personally, support this argument.

Aug 5, 2016
Disrupting a settled defence purely to squeeze an on loan player in just because he was born in Derriford? Jones may well not be here next season whereas Eddy and Canavanno should be. While they are getting clean sheets v Luton and deserved one v Shrewsbury (conceding only due to a clumsy Carey challenge) how do you tell them they are dropped because the on loan lad is a local boy and his family want to see him play? Threlkeld had to wait too. The team is performing, tough luck. Jones may well be the future, he may be the best CB at the club. If he is confident of those things he should sign in the summer and earn his place. But it is bad management to disrupt the defence (before we are safe) based on a hunch. Stick to what is working, I don't miss losing 4-0 to sides like Peterborough.

Feb 28, 2016
Knibbsworth":3rn7mebp said:
Disrupting a settled defence purely to squeeze an on loan player in just because he was born in Derriford? Jones may well not be here next season whereas Eddy and Canavanno should be. While they are getting clean sheets v Luton and deserved one v Shrewsbury (conceding only due to a clumsy Carey challenge) how do you tell them they are dropped because the on loan lad is a local boy and his family want to see him play? Threlkeld had to wait too. The team is performing, tough luck. Jones may well be the future, he may be the best CB at the club. If he is confident of those things he should sign in the summer and earn his place. But it is bad management to disrupt the defence (before we are safe) based on a hunch. Stick to what is working, I don't miss losing 4-0 to sides like Peterborough.

Adams was more than happy to drop Fletcher when he was the top scorer last season, he was quick enough to drop Tyler Harvey and Louis Rooney after the Hartlepool game. He was quick enough not to give Cooper anymore game time after he kept a second half clean sheet at Blackburn. I’m all for winning the shirt and keeping it, be it through, skill, fluke or luck. However all evidence would suggest, if you have Devon/Cornwall on your birth certificate and are under the age of 30, then even if you win your shirt through skill or circumstance, prove yourself, then that will not be enough to keep it.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I find it ironic that, during November, December and January, most of us were saying that we needed at least 3 new signings in the transfer window or we were doomed.
Well, we got 2 in plus Anderson a little later and we have done pretty well without hardly needing to use any of them except as late substitutes or, in Threlkeld’s case, because Sarcevic was suspended.
I say ‘most of us’ because I certainly thought we needed a different keeper.
Some will say we may still be doomed but nobody can deny that things are looking a lot more positive than when we lost 0-3 at home to Accrington just before Christmas.

May 8, 2011
Knibbsworth":8hjd6k4o said:

Not sure if Canavan will be here next season as Plymouth may be too far from home.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
MarkMatthews":220dp3i8 said:
Yes it is. Even Adams is saying he feels sorry for him not getting in the team. As a fellow Plymothian my loyalty is to him even if he isn’t our player. He made the right decision to leave when he did, I don’t think there can be any argument about that. It’s great to have him back and I sincerely hope this is the start for him here, not the end. I’m sympathetic to reasons why Adams is reluctant to start him whilst, at the same time. Im not supportive of those reasons. Him not starting Lloyd I can understand and it will create no additional anti Adams sentiment from me, however I do think there is a case to start him, as has been outlined by others and I do personally, support this argument.

"As a fellow Plymothian", give me strength.

Just because he was born in the same city as you makes him no more deserving of a spot on our team than any other player. If you want to see "local lads" give it a go then go and watch your local pub team. The net is thankfully cast far wider by Argyle and long may that continue, football has moved on.

Jones left Plymouth when he got a better offer, same with Mason and neither of them even considered coming back until their careers took serious nosedives. If they want their careers back they need to earn them back, if they aren't good enough then they aren't good enough and can't just walk into our team, we owe them nothing just as they showed they owed us nothing when they buggered off for "bigger and better" things.