Torquay Friendly (Match thread) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Torquay Friendly (Match thread)

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
monkeywrench":2y6wyctb said:
PL2 3DQ":2y6wyctb said:
It was a good test against a strong and physical Torquay team. They used a wing back system which we initially struggled against in the wide areas but after 20 minutes or so we got to grips with that and played most of the game in the Torquay half.

Carey and Lameiras linked up really well, some of the tricks and one-twos were fantastic but sometimes you just wish one of them would shoot instead of choosing another pass.

Ladapo was a real handful, his pace and height caused problems and he ran the channels which is something that Taylor doesn't usually do.
He lacked composure in front of goal and on another day would have scored at least two. Is he in the team to score goals or hold up the ball for others?

The goal came after Carey tapped in a rebound off the crossbar.
We should have scored more but good saves, blocked shots and poor finishing stopped us.
We just lacked that final pass or reluctance to shoot.

We moved the ball well from side to side.

There were only two changes and one of them was forced due to injury to Canavan.

Canavan is composed and Wootton is a leader and very vocal.

Conor Grant was my Man of the Match, he linked up play and got into some scoring positions.

Adams will probably field a different team for the whole game against Yeovil but I reckon Burgoyne for Letheren and Fox for Songo'o will be the only changes for the Walsall game providing Sarcevic and Taylor are still not fit.

On this evidence Torquay should do well this season.

Thanks Posty. Out of interest how did Banton look?

To be honest I didn't notice him, he wasn't in the game but he did get a good reception from the Argyle fans when his name was read out before the game.
Ryan Dickson was another former Green who played for Torquay and I guess Sokolik was injured because he didn't play.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":3ei1ud60 said:
monkeywrench":3ei1ud60 said:
PL2 3DQ":3ei1ud60 said:
It was a good test against a strong and physical Torquay team. They used a wing back system which we initially struggled against in the wide areas but after 20 minutes or so we got to grips with that and played most of the game in the Torquay half.

Carey and Lameiras linked up really well, some of the tricks and one-twos were fantastic but sometimes you just wish one of them would shoot instead of choosing another pass.

Ladapo was a real handful, his pace and height caused problems and he ran the channels which is something that Taylor doesn't usually do.
He lacked composure in front of goal and on another day would have scored at least two. Is he in the team to score goals or hold up the ball for others?

The goal came after Carey tapped in a rebound off the crossbar.
We should have scored more but good saves, blocked shots and poor finishing stopped us.
We just lacked that final pass or reluctance to shoot.

We moved the ball well from side to side.

There were only two changes and one of them was forced due to injury to Canavan.

Canavan is composed and Wootton is a leader and very vocal.

Conor Grant was my Man of the Match, he linked up play and got into some scoring positions.

Adams will probably field a different team for the whole game against Yeovil but I reckon Burgoyne for Letheren and Fox for Songo'o will be the only changes for the Walsall game providing Sarcevic and Taylor are still not fit.

On this evidence Torquay should do well this season.

Thanks Posty. Out of interest how did Banton look?

To be honest I didn't notice him, he wasn't in the game but he did get a good reception from the Argyle fans when his name was read out before the game.
Ryan Dickson was another former Green who played for Torquay and I guess Sokolik was injured because he didn't play.

What about Dorel is he still there?

(Cheers for the report by the way)

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Jamie Ness would have been my Man of the Match...Bossed the midfield and looked very fit. Although we passed it well especially down our left side ,the finishing is not yet there....desperately need a goalscorer if Taylor is still out...

Feb 17, 2017
Not really sure if Torquay are up to much or if we just flattered them, forest green rovers walked to a 4-1 victory a week ago. Looking forward to Yeovil but more of a test for us.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
oddball":1qx1rdhq said:
Jamie Ness would have been my Man of the Match...Bossed the midfield and looked very fit. Although we passed it well especially down our left side ,the finishing is not yet there....desperately need a goalscorer if Taylor is still out...

But Taylor isn’t a goalscorer?

In DA teams goals come from all over the pitch not just from one player.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Thanks for the report guys, interesting to hear the opinions already forming about the new signings..

Looking forward to the start of the season now..

Apr 30, 2011
Cobi Budge":gip5coeq said:
oddball":gip5coeq said:

But Taylor isn’t a goalscorer?

In DA teams goals come from all over the pitch not just from one player.

That's exactly what I thought. Taylor may be more adept at making opportunities for other players but he isn't a prolific goal scorer.

Jan 30, 2016
I enjoyed this workout for Argyle.
Of the new guys I did like the full back Riley - always willing to pass forwards instead of sidewards, and I liked Conor Grant thought his link up with Carey was good. Lots of pretty passing but the team left its shooting boots at home and when they managed a shot the Torquay keeper was a good stopper.
Was hoping to see more subs from Argyle.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
AlanMS":2c2kpr05 said:
I enjoyed this workout for Argyle.
Of the new guys I did like the full back Riley - always willing to pass forwards instead of sidewards, and I liked Conor Grant thought his link up with Carey was good. Lots of pretty passing but the team left its shooting boots at home and when they managed a shot the Torquay keeper was a good stopper.
Was hoping to see more subs from Argyle.
DA said that those who didn't play last night will feature tonight against Bideford.

Jan 27, 2012
Metal_Green_Mickey":1bsipie8 said:
Lapado in the first half was excellent.

He looks big, strong and direct. All match he was looking to make runs in behind. He is an alternative to Taylor because we can now look to go in over the top with his pace.

That's interesting, because based on his football CV and reports from his more recent clubs he sounded rubbish.

You cant read much into pre-season games, but if Adams can bring the best out of Ladapo then maybe he could finally blossum ?

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
gaspargomez":3h39n82v said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":3h39n82v said:
Lapado in the first half was excellent.

He looks big, strong and direct. All match he was looking to make runs in behind. He is an alternative to Taylor because we can now look to go in over the top with his pace.

That's interesting, because based on his football CV and reports from his more recent clubs he sounded rubbish.

You cant read much into pre-season games, but if Adams can bring the best out of Ladapo then maybe he could finally blossum ?
I hope he is not a Blissett mk 2

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
That was my third preseason game Parkway, Tavy and Torquay can't say any of the new additions have impressed me so far but early days yet hopefully come the Southend game that will show us why DA brought them in.

Taylor is still going to be key for us the build up is too slow, side and backward passing no out let up top.The defence also needs a lot of tweaking.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
dunlop":306q23m4 said:
That was my third preseason game Parkway, Tavy and Torquay can't say any of the new additions have impressed me so far but early days yet hopefully come the Southend game that will show us why DA brought them in.

Taylor is still going to be key for us the build up is too slow, side and backward passing no out let up top.The defence also needs a lot of tweaking.
That's what pre season, including a week in Holland are for Mike. Plenty of time yet.

Mar 14, 2009
You can’t read too much into these. Every time we play Torquay in recent pre-season friendlies they are tough games and the score line has been close.

Regarding Ladapo l like how he held the ball up in the first half. Second half l didn’t think he was quite as effective. When he got the ball though l didn’t really see Torquay players able to shrug him off the ball. Lameiras loves put make creative forward passes so watch out for that combination this season as Lapado looked to run off the shoulders of defenders.

Whilst there was some lovery slick one two play, Dunlop is right in the sense the build up was a bit too slow. Too many passes. So much space out wide and Sawyer and Riley weren’t used enough, especially 2nd half. Argyle tried to keep on playing through the middle of Torquay when sometimes we needed to mix it up.

My other concern is we have all these loverly passes & creativity in players like C Grant, Lameiras and Carey but not enough numbers in the box when the ball did get crossed in. Goals were a problem away from home and to score we need to get more people in the box with whoever is playing upfront on their own.