Was it a pen? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Was it a pen?

Jun 27, 2019
Mark Pedlar":3g8b07jy said:
From VARs perspective the ball did not hit an illegal part of the arm (if it hit his arm at all), supported by the fact that Watts wasn't cautioned, therefore there was no offence. The game was restarted with corner I believe.

Aimson was clearly pushed but he is known for going down easily.

As the defending team I'd have been angry to be on the receiving end of a pen being given in either situation. As an attacking team I'd have been screaming for both.

That was my take on it. There might have been hands on his back but he went down into a heap as though he'd been hit from behind by a JCB.

Nov 2, 2004
Not a penalty, he did have his hands in the air but it did not hit them. It hit the top part of his arm or under his arm it was difficult to tell which but it did not hit his hand or lower arm. As the var said it did not hit the red zone and he had proper slow motion to view it.

Sep 25, 2010
To me, it was an old decision, you would get 10 years ago, well before VAR.

It seemed to be an accidental handball, where the player is trying to get out of the way of the ball, initially protecting his face. As it should be, handball SHOULD only be for ‘intent’, and ‘deliberate’.

Just leave it to the officials, they get most correct, and throw VAR in the bin.

Well refereed by Lee Mason.

Aug 5, 2015
Don’t defenders expect to hit occasionally by the ball? As mentioned previously we would have been outraged if that had been a Blades defender and rightly so.

Jun 27, 2019
Watts has got to stop lifting his hands up like that. He did the same in the draw with Portsmouth at HP but didn't get away with it that time. He arguably cost us two points there.

People might say it's an instinctive reflex to protect your face/head but have a look at Premier League defenders when they're jockeying an attacker in the area - they'll deliberately put their hands behind their back. They might take a ball in the face but so what... giving a penalty away should be far worse if you're a defender.

Sep 3, 2009
ealinggreen":31x7826b said:
Not a penalty, he did have his hands in the air but it did not hit them. It hit the top part of his arm or under his arm it was difficult to tell which but it did not hit his hand or lower arm. As the var said it did not hit the red zone and he had proper slow motion to view it.

But the new law means that unless it hit his shoulder, it should have been a penalty. The 'lower' arm is everything below the very top of the arm and it appeared to strike him on his bicep. Further, he deliberately put his arms up and made his body bigger by doing so.

The only reason I can see for it not being given is that VAR didn't see the referee's decision as clearly and obviously wrong. That is, after all, what VAR is supposed to be for.

Should add I think the rule changes around handball are more examples of what is ruining the game. How are defenders supposed to defend with their arms consistently behind their backs, or pinned to their sides, when balls are flying in at that speed?

VAR, the offside changes, handball changes have added nothing to the enjoyment of the game.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I always look at this kind of thing by thinking about whether we'd be annoyed if it wasn't given for us, and indeed I think we'd have been livid in this instance.

That being said, things were levelled out later in the game when Aimson was clearly fouled in the box.

Aug 5, 2012
Gravesend - Kent
Fifty years ago you would have been laughed at if you claimed a penalty for that, but in today's climate it was probably a pen. The law makers are doing their level best to ruin what used to be an enjoyable and simple game and these days I wouldn't cross the road to watch a Premier league game.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I have yet to see a definitive picture of the ball hitting his arm below the deltoid. The only person now who can rightly say where it actually hit him is the player himself. Has anyone asked him?

Oct 31, 2015
Mark Pedlar":45m1nwsy said:
As the defending team I'd have been angry to be on the receiving end of a pen being given in either situation. As an attacking team I'd have been screaming for both.

This from me also. VAR,Social media, TV cameras have made it almost impossible for refs and Lino's. I think football should go back to basics but understand it never will.

Watts is known to put his arms up so was very surprised it want given.

Jun 24, 2008
Ball was coming right at his face at speed, naturally as humans your hands go up to protect your face (without even thinking) Making this a natural hand movement in my opinion, therefore, not a penalty.

Dec 30, 2020
He put his arms way above his head and stopped the ball with them. I can't see how that can be permitted in the game of football. If a Sheff U defender had done it and we'd lost by one goal, I think I'd literally be bitter above it years later.

Amidst some strong competition it was one of the most bizarre VAR referrals I've ever seen. I was in favour of VAR when it came in, but its main role has been to highlight some of the absurd approaches to offside and handball laws, resulting in more stupid decisions than before. Not that I wasn't grateful for this particular example!

Dec 30, 2020
macleanie":1b0qfj5k said:
Ball was coming right at his face at speed, naturally as humans your hands go up to protect your face (without even thinking) Making this a natural hand movement in my opinion, therefore, not a penalty.

I'm not one for macho bravado but I don't think an adult professional sportsman should be putting their hands in front of their face because they're afraid of getting hit by the ball (maybe slightly more acceptable if they're playing cricket or tenpin bowling)!