Weirdest ref decisions you’ve ever seen | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Weirdest ref decisions you’ve ever seen

Jun 27, 2019
Herts_Green":1mtmm3dx said:
The strangest by far for me was a few years ago, i can’t remember who against. One of our players was completely taken out in the Devonport End penalty area and instead of awarding a penalty the ref clearly signalled advantage as the ball broke lose to an Argyle player (maybe Sarcevic?) on the edge of the box. He took a shot which went well over the bar and a goal kick was given. I found it incredible that the referee felt that a speculative shot from outside the box was a sufficient advantage rather than awarding the penalty kick.

A shot on goal definitely counts as using up your advantage. If the ref had blown for a pen just as the player was about to shoot you can guarantee there would have been hell to pay!

Jul 14, 2008
WoodsyGreen":13rp6jmd said:
Herts_Green":13rp6jmd said:
The strangest by far for me was a few years ago, i can’t remember who against. One of our players was completely taken out in the Devonport End penalty area and instead of awarding a penalty the ref clearly signalled advantage as the ball broke lose to an Argyle player (maybe Sarcevic?) on the edge of the box. He took a shot which went well over the bar and a goal kick was given. I found it incredible that the referee felt that a speculative shot from outside the box was a sufficient advantage rather than awarding the penalty kick.

A shot on goal definitely counts as using up your advantage. If the ref had blown for a pen just as the player was about to shoot you can guarantee there would have been hell to pay!
He shouldn’t have signalled advantage, just given the penalty. The shot from the edge of the box wasn’t a good chance, there were plenty of players between the Argyle player and the goal. Argyle were denied a clear goal scoring opportunity from the spot because they had a half chance from the edge of the box. It was baffling.

Nov 2, 2004
I remember Colin Sullivan scoring at Home Park when the ball went through the side netting . I think it was the winning goal.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
22nd August,1962 (date courtesy GoS). Argyle beat Preston 7-1.
I think we were 6-0 up at half time. Jimmy McAnearney scored a ‘goal’ when the ball ended up in the net through the side netting.

Aug 4, 2011
WoodsyGreen":3sv191k7 said:
Tony_Flags":3sv191k7 said:
WoodsyGreen":3sv191k7 said:
I vaguely remember us being given a penalty in a home match back in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Wotton was preparing to take it and all seemed normal but then the ref changed his mind. Home Park went mental!

That was not given because the linesman correctly spotted the hand the touched the ball was Triggers.

Not long after the same happened against Swindon but the penalty was still given and we scored.

Can you remember who it was against? I want to say it was a 0-0 draw...
I think it was Southend?

Aug 4, 2011
Baughly":3rf56xjv said:
Oldham away in the title winning season. When Shelley had a goal disallowed for a foul, when it was Norris who he had pushed out of the way. Then Wotton was sent off for taking a quick free kick.
This for me. Cowburn. Still the most inept refereeing performance I’ve witnessed live

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Definitely a draw against Southend.

Wasn't that also the game where the oppo ended up turning out in an Argyle third kit of dark blue was it, because they hadn't brought a full set of kits from Essex?

Aug 8, 2013
oldage":19g4h55g said:
Can't remember the game but we lost a game to a goal that wasn't scored.The ball went wide of the net at the Devonport End but referee awarded a goal.

This reminded me of an incident at a home game a year or two later.
Don't remember the opposition, but a shot from Johnny Hore nestled in the
corner at the Barn Park End to put us one up. We celebrated. The opposition protested.
The referee then found that the ball was behind the net, so disallowed the goal.
We were directly behind the goal, and it very clearly went in, so must have found
a hole in the net. We kids were livid at the ref, but my Dad said it was Argyle's fault
for not maintaining their equipment properly !

Jul 25, 2006
Leighton Buzzard
Baughly said:
Oldham away in the title winning season. When Shelley had a goal disallowed for a foul, when it was Norris who he had pushed out of the way. Then Wotton was sent off for taking a quick free kick.[/quote
Worst referee display I've ever seen. He got everything wrong that day! And I should add that I don't normally get too hot under the collar about refs.

Dec 29, 2016
The Trigger incident was against Southend and the mistake happened because they were playing in dark blue and their shirts clashed with ours and all the ground were up in arms because all game you could hardly tell which team was which
And it was the lino from the opposite end of the pitch who brought it to the attention of the ref

fitz

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Feb 28, 2006
Dubai UAE
From memory I think Rochdale played in our blue kit.
Cos they didn’t have a third kit!

Apr 24, 2006
Newton Abbot
1996 I believe. I think Crewe may have been the opposition. The fog was so thick that from the deveonport end you could only just make out the goal net of the goal at that end.
How the game was played was incredible. I think we won 1-0 but half the ground were unaware of the goal going in at the time.,

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
IJN":35vg0tex said:
I think the referee was called Ivan Robinson and it was Barrow from memory. I had a mate called that when I lived in Dunfermline that's how I remember his name. So it must have been between 69/71.

Yes, Ian you are correct. It was Argyle’s ever first game v Barrow in November 1968. It was never officially confirmed because the scorer had to be a registered player. It is perhaps the only time it has happened in a Football League game and certainly hasn’t happened since. The rules have now changed so it cannot happen.

Below is a link from Barrow supporters who were celebrating the 50th anniversary of the event a couple of years ago.

http://www.barrowafc.net/viewtopic.php?t=26269&start=15