Weirdest ref decisions you’ve ever seen | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Weirdest ref decisions you’ve ever seen

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
That game against Southend,and the Trigger handball,I was sat at the front of the barn Park end and looking towards the Devonport end where this incident happend was very hazy that day,and all the players seemed to be all wearing dark shirts at that distance.

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
oldage":i17j61wd said:
Can't remember the game but we lost a game to a goal that wasn't scored.The ball went wide of the net at the Devonport End but referee awarded a goal.

Yes I remember the game. The ball ended outside the net and the Argyle players showed that there was no hole in the net! He still didn't change his mind. Obviously he believed in magic!

Sep 26, 2009
SHERBORNE
pilgrimage":297jgufo said:
oldage":297jgufo said:
Can't remember the game but we lost a game to a goal that wasn't scored.The ball went wide of the net at the Devonport End but referee awarded a goal.

Yes I remember the game. The ball ended outside the net and the Argyle players showed that there was no hole in the net! He still didn't change his mind. Obviously he believed in magic!
It was against Brentford 1972
I was in the Devonport end that day and we were all fuming when the ref gave the goal. As you say the ball rested outside of the net!
The previous week I saw Yeovil beat Brentford 2-1 in the FA cup.

Dec 21, 2010
Ah memories. I clearly remember the dodgy 1972 Brentford goal, the fog bound game v Crewe with Dungey in goal and the feeling that we'd blown promotion at Oldham soon after Luggy left.

May 29, 2011
Bristol
Not so much a decision but one of the most bizarre displays of behaviour from a ref was about 10 years ago when a Premier League referee celebrated a goal but then claimed he was celebrating one of his decisions! It sounds so ludicrous I wonder if I dreamt it?! Can anyone help me out with the details?

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Mike Dean - Spurs v Villa - dont think it was as much as 10 years maybe 5/6.

He allowed play to continue when he could have given a foul - if memory serves he wasn't far off booking himself for taking off his shirt and diving into the crowd.
Dean has never been one to believe the theory that the best referees are the ones you dont notice.

I stupidly caused myself some embarrassment with a referee in the eighties. My youngest son was playing for Devon under 15s when the ref signalled a throw in from a ball which had clearly not crossed the line. In a very loud voice I reminded him that the whole of the ball had to cross the whole of the line. From quite a distance he blew his whistle to bring the game to a halt and very slowly walked over to me, with about 200 eyes on me. In an equally loud voice he reminded me that he had the right to remove me from the ground, and would do so if I continued to heckle him. All I could do was nod and try not to look embarrassed. In the changing room when the kids asked whose dad it was, my son disowned me.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
There was a game in France couple years ago where the ref was accidentally tripped by a player running behind him and as he ran past, the ref kicked out at him and then sent him off. Must be on YouTube somewhere.

Sep 6, 2006
Every week in the Prem at the moment thanks to VAR and change of handball rule. They don't seem to understand 'clear and obvious' for a start. I'm pretty sure it wasn't brought in to decide if a strikers big toe was offside for .5 of a second(i.e. LEVEL). More to look at decisions like the one at Wigan on Sat. There seems to be a common sense bypass.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Balham_Green":3rooumcg said:
Every week in the Prem at the moment thanks to VAR and change of handball rule. They don't seem to understand 'clear and obvious' for a start. I'm pretty sure it wasn't brought in to decide if a strikers big toe was offside for .5 of a second(i.e. LEVEL). More to look at decisions like the one at Wigan on Sat. There seems to be a common sense bypass.

Sit down and prepare yourself before reading any further.

I totally agree with you.

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
GreenThing":369l1azz said:
Balham_Green":369l1azz said:

Sit down and prepare yourself before reading any further.

I totally agree with you.
:shock: :shock:

Mar 22, 2020
Not one particular refs decision, but the strangest performance I can remember came from Andy Woolmer. I forget which game it was but he made a few clear errors early on. The fans started to get on his back so he responded by what appeared to be deliberately getting everything wrong for the rest of the match with a big grin on his face. I know Sarginson and Kettle get mentioned on pasoti a lot, but that Woolmer show was the most ridiculous I've ever witnessed from a professional referee.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Green Painter":2xjso5tq said:
Not one particular refs decision, but the strangest performance I can remember came from Andy Woolmer. I forget which game it was but he made a few clear errors early on. The fans started to get on his back so he responded by what appeared to be deliberately getting everything wrong for the rest of the match with a big grin on his face. I know Sarginson and Kettle get mentioned on pasoti a lot, but that Woolmer show was the most ridiculous I've ever witnessed from a professional referee.

Sarginson has been a clown in the past, but has been pretty good on the last few games he’s reffed for us.