What a thoroughly horrible club. | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What a thoroughly horrible club.

Sep 6, 2006
Green_Flash":2w61iioh said:
Balham_Green":2w61iioh said:
Green_Flash":2w61iioh said:
What have large numbers got to do with it? It is to do with culture not numbers 80k attend rugby internationals have a few drinks mingle and enjoy friendly banter without a hint of trouble. People say that is because rugby is middle class - not true Twickenham may be but the millennium stadium certainly isn’t and nor is any rugby league club

Obviously large numbers are relevant. I suspect on Saturday 2% at most of the crowd was looking for trouble but that works out to a few hundred.

Other sports have large crowds with 0% of the crowd looking for trouble, as do music festivals etc etc.

0%? I don't think so

Jan 6, 2004
Unfortunately Balham I think your complacent attitude is part of the problem. But anyway we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Re Bristol v Plymouth. I would say Plymouth has a rougher feel overall as it is a poorer city but the rough parts of Bristol are worse than the rough parts of Plymouth.

May 29, 2011
Bristol
I'd say that it's a society problem rather than a football one. Football 'firms' give lost souls a sense of belonging as do other kinds of 'gangs'. I remember chatting to a bloke from Northern Ireland who said that the lads he saw in Bristol getting involved in football violence were the same sort of boys/men from similar economic backgrounds who got involved in sectarian violence. Perhaps it just gives a misguided sense of belonging, a cause and a sense of brotherhood or identity.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Sidewinder":1sz75w5d said:
I'd say that it's a society problem rather than a football one. Football 'firms' give lost souls a sense of belonging as do other kinds of 'gangs'. I remember chatting to a bloke from Northern Ireland who said that the lads he saw in Bristol getting involved in football violence were the same sort of boys/men from similar economic backgrounds who got involved in sectarian violence. Perhaps it just gives a misguided sense of belonging, a cause and a sense of brotherhood or identity.

Ties in with the fact that a lot of the guys involved in the "firms" also identify themselves with, and supporters of the loyalist paramilitary groups. The 2 things have gone hand in hand for as long as I can remember. A lot of people many not realise but a lot of Glasgow Rangers fans attend England games with friends of theirs from the English hooligan scene, also why when Sunderland played Celtic in that "friendly" you had idiots like Tommy Robinson there as well as hooligans from quite a few other English teams, same with the Oldham race riots, the whole thing is a lot deeper rooted than a lot of people tend to realise.

Mar 23, 2013
Balham_Green":a9ni6j8k said:
IJN":a9ni6j8k said:
I don’t agree. Rovers have always had that edge to them. Have we been involved in an abandoned Sky game?

Bristol’s a harder City than ours, I managed in both for over 30 years and there is little comparison.

Lived in both. No evidence that Bristol is 'harder'. I would say Plymouth is if anything. Its certainly poorer than Bristol. Bristol is the twice the size so is bound to have twice as many numpties.

Absolute tripe ....I have a lot of family in Bristol and spent a lot of time there , I have been to many a city game home and away and the violence is a massive step up from Plymouth ...I’ve seen them attacking police turning over police vehicles attacking police on horse back.....when they go ....they really go.
When rovers were trying to break through on Saturday you did not see the argyle mob doing the same if they did it would have gone right off....there no daft they just like to goad.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Carlo":88zimvwa said:
Anyone would think we were playing Galatasaray. Every club has a select few. If you think we have issues with hooligans in this country then thank god we’re not based in Eastern Europe

So true, a Galatasary fan came at me with a razor only yesterday.

Decent haircut though

Sep 6, 2006
finegreen":2glhyfes said:
Balham_Green":2glhyfes said:
IJN":2glhyfes said:
I don’t agree. Rovers have always had that edge to them. Have we been involved in an abandoned Sky game?

Bristol’s a harder City than ours, I managed in both for over 30 years and there is little comparison.

Lived in both. No evidence that Bristol is 'harder'. I would say Plymouth is if anything. Its certainly poorer than Bristol. Bristol is the twice the size so is bound to have twice as many numpties.

Absolute tripe ....I have a lot of family in Bristol and spent a lot of time there , I have been to many a city game home and away and the violence is a massive step up from Plymouth ...I’ve seen them attacking police turning over police vehicles attacking police on horse back.....when they go ....they really go.
When rovers were trying to break through on Saturday you did not see the argyle mob doing the same if they did it would have gone right off....there no daft they just like to goad.

I lived in Bristol for 3 years mate. But because you have seen a few thugs kicking off then Bristol is a rougher city. You don't know what you are talking about.

Mar 23, 2013
pafcprogs":14rupqdy said:
Carlo":14rupqdy said:
Anyone would think we were playing Galatasaray. Every club has a select few. If you think we have issues with hooligans in this country then thank god we’re not based in Eastern Europe

Decent haircut though
Balham_Green":14rupqdy said:
finegreen":14rupqdy said:
Balham_Green":14rupqdy said:
IJN":14rupqdy said:

I lived in Bristol for 3 years mate. But because you have seen a few thugs kicking off then Bristol is a rougher city. You don't know what you are talking about.

Obviously a student living in Clifton .......anyway I’m a huge argyle fan ....but if rovers had broke through on Saturday....the whole of the lindhurst would have scattered......if you think Plymouth is worse or even on par with Bristol....well your clueless.

Sep 6, 2006
finegreen":2ri038n8 said:
pafcprogs":2ri038n8 said:
Carlo":2ri038n8 said:

Decent haircut though
Balham_Green":2ri038n8 said:
finegreen":2ri038n8 said:
Balham_Green":2ri038n8 said:
IJN":2ri038n8 said:

Obviously a student living in Clifton .......anyway I’m a huge argyle fan ....but if rovers had broke through on Saturday....the whole of the lindhurst would have scattered......if you think Plymouth is worse or even on par with Bristol....well your clueless.

You are confused. I'll try to explain again. Just because they have a few thugs who would chase ours away doesn’t mean in any way that the city is harder/rougher etc overall. Your viewpoint is simplistic.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
crownhillpilgrim":lu70kh0s said:
This thread has descended into 'Hardest City' Top Trumps.

I didn't mean 'harder' as in two men battling it out :facepalm: I meant by attitude to most things.

Hard to explain really but I know what I mean.

Jul 13, 2006
finegreen":g49owlcl said:
pafcprogs":g49owlcl said:
Carlo":g49owlcl said:

Decent haircut though
Balham_Green":g49owlcl said:
finegreen":g49owlcl said:
Balham_Green":g49owlcl said:
IJN":g49owlcl said:

A. There is no way Rovers would have wanted or been able to get through.
B. "The whole of the Lyndhurst would have scattered". I don't think so. Maybe the Devonport End.

Jan 6, 2004
Rovers fans didn't really want to get through, it was a "hold me back" gesture. If they had really wanted to, they would have done.