What was the game you missed? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What was the game you missed?

Stuart Bloye

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Sep 17, 2003
Santos. ‘You have school tomorrow’ Yep, that made so much difference to my education. thanks mum & dad :facepalm: :lol:

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
Easy one for me this. On the Saturday saw Argyle at Home Park get outplayed by Exeter (1993 ?)in a horrendous display, losing 3-0.

On my way out a mate of mine asked if I was going to The Hawthorns on the Monday.

£@*# I replied 'I'm off to the beach Monday to get something out of the holiday weekend'.

Rang me Mum from a phone box (remember them) to ask what the score was....

'They won 5-2 dear'

Bleddy Argyle. :furious:

May 5, 2006
Derby 0-1 Argyle, FA Cup quarter final replay. Year I left school and had an interview, didn't get the job so made missing the game even worse.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Well I was walking down Outland Road to match, when everyone turned around in front of me - match was postponed.
Serving in the Grey Funnel Line I returned to Rosyth.
Match was rearranged and I couldn't get leave to come down for it.

Finished Argyle 4-0 Bristol City......

John Squire

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 28, 2008
Now retired to Uffculme near Willand!
The game I missed was the only time we reached the FA Cup semi-final!
The date 14 April 1984 and the Watford match at Villa Park.
At that time I was a Police Traffic cop in Plymouth. When the match details were announced, I checked my duty roster, and realised I was working the 2-10pm shift. Panic set in, and I thought how to get time off so I could go up to Birmingham. I tried everything to get the day off - annual leave etc.
Unfortunately there became no way I could get out of my duty for that day.
In the end I took a portable radio out in the patrol car, intending to listen to the game, or at least some of it.
That didn’t work out either, as during the time of the game we were very busy!!
Now at the age of nearly 76 I think I’ve missed my chance of going to a match of that kind. :scarf:

Kevin Gollop

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 24, 2003
Plymouth
More a series of games than just one for me. In 2003 I headed over to the US to visit the in-laws, missing four games while I was away. The results:

Argyle 4 - Bristol City 0
Argyle 6 - Tranmere 0
Port Vale 1 - Argyle 5
Sheffield Wednesday 1 - Argyle 3

:?

Nov 11, 2020
Derby 1984 FA cup replay for me too. Worked overtime rather than travelling in car with fellow Dockyardies !

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Mines a weird one lads at work had tickets for Man Utd european game at old Trafford which at the time I'd never been to
I instead went to watch Argyle draw 1-1 at PNE

What happened Rooney scored a hat-trick on his European debut ! But I got to see a rare Doumbe goal !!

Rochdale in 2002 when we were promoted. I'd already been up that way for a postponed match and the night of the rearranged game that did happen fell the same time my girlfriend was visiting me. We ended up at the cinema instead watching a Bond film. At least I got to Darlington.

M

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
Wembley '96. Living in London, I'd just started seeing this girl and was really keen make an impression. About a week before the final, she told me she'd got tickets for the two of us to see Josie Lawrence in The Taming of the Shrew. On the Saturday afternoon of the final. Which I had a ticket for. She was mad into theatre and had been banging on about this show for weeks.

Our return from the theatre coincided with full-time and there were plenty of Argyle fans on the tube. It took me about four stops to ask the score.

(We got married that December and celebrate our 24th anniversary in 3 weeks' time.)

tonsk

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 19, 2003
Plymouth
www.dastardlys.co.uk
I missed the Colchester Play Off game in 96 as I was on holiday with wife and two young daughters.
I was frantically trying to find updates and the result on radio to no avail. In the end had to phone a friend. Gutted when I watched the highlights later.

I also missed the last Wembley game as I was in New York for our 30th wedding anniversay.... not too fussed about that one!

tonsk

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The Colchester game had the best atmosphere I've ever experienced at Home Park. You missed a classic game there Tony.