Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Who do you want as the new manager?

• Johannes Hoff Thorup

Votes: 81 21.8%
  • Anthony Barry

Votes: 44 11.8%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

Votes: 37 9.9%
  • Nigel Pearson

Votes: 24 6.5%
  • Michael Skubala

Votes: 53 14.2%
  • Nathan Jones

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Gareth Ainsworth

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • Gary Rowett

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • Someone else

Votes: 55 14.8%
  • David Wagner

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Will Still

Votes: 40 10.8%

• Total voters

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
It remains to be seen how much money generated from sales will go back into the transfer kitty. We reportedly received in excess of £1m for the Snake and his staff yet didn't buy a single player in January when we desperately needed attacking reinforcements.
That's part of the problem, £1m isn't going to make a dent in terms of getting people as good as some of the players we have seen against Argyle this season.

Feb 8, 2005
It remains to be seen how much money generated from sales will go back into the transfer kitty. We reportedly received in excess of £1m for the Snake and his staff yet didn't buy a single player in January when we desperately needed attacking reinforcements.
Don't think £1m would be enough to get a Championship quality striker in.

Reactions: Jon with no H
Sep 3, 2011
If in League one or maybe even the Championship then Leyton Orients Richie Wellens should be considered. A couple of League 2 titles to his name and has had an above average season in League One. The following is from Wiki, so may not be accurate!.......
"Wellens favours his teams to play attacking football, believing long ball and defensive minded football to not be suitable to long-term success. He cites former Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson as a major influence on his approach. Using a preferred formation of 4-2-3-1.Wellens likes his teams to play out from the back and be patient, Wellens likes his player to maintain a high level of intensity, even during training sessions.

He spoke very highly of Argyle and the setup post Orient game last August.

Last edited:

Mpt

Aug 6, 2016
I think a review of the process that lead to us employing Ian Foster should be implemented before we rush into a new appointment. It seems as if Simon H didn't have a great deal to do with the hiring of him based on the interview with the Pilgrims Podcast and the process was driven by Neil Dewsnip and Andrew Parkinson. Simon even made a joking reference to how we now have all the data driven processes and we end up hiring an England U19s manager.

Reactions: argyletraveller

bodspafc

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Aug 8, 2005
Bristol
Just throwing a name in there, Tímár has done well with his current club in Hungary and apparently would love the chance to manage us. I’m not saying we should or shouldn’t get him, just throwing a name in the ring.

Reactions: Green rottie
Jun 27, 2019
That's part of the problem, £1m isn't going to make a dent in terms of getting people as good as some of the players we have seen against Argyle this season.
Morgan cost £1m. Femi Azeez was supposedly available for less than £500k.

I thought our recruitment department was triple A when it comes to finding rough diamonds at bargain prices?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
If we are talking about next season, Michael Skubala at Lincoln for me.

5 wins in last 5, 20 goals scored (avg. 4 goals per game), 2 conceded.

3-5-2 preferred formation.

Youth coach experience.

Suddenly finding myself hoping Lincoln don't get promoted this season..

He would be my first choice. There are really good young coaches in the lower divisions ready to step up. I know we don’t have the budget and need to think smart, but let’s not try and be too clever and go for someone who understands club coaching and the challenges it presents. Championship experience would be great but that may be out of our reach.

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
Morgan cost £1m. Femi Azeez was supposedly available for less than £500k.

I thought our recruitment department was triple A when it comes to finding rough diamonds at bargain prices?
Reading sold two other players for big money in the last two days of the window - they didn't need, at the time, to sell Azeez as result, no matter how hard we tried.

Reactions: Justin

subbuteo

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 12, 2009
I think where we are at the end of the season will dictate the next type of manager.

If we're a league one outfit then a younger less experienced manager who meets the profile with room for improvement.

If we stay in the championship then experience and a proven track record would be costlier but safer.

Either way they need to be involved in the pre season and recruitment process.

Apr 1, 2009
Just throwing a name in there, Tímár has done well with his current club in Hungary and apparently would love the chance to manage us. I’m not saying we should or shouldn’t get him, just throwing a name in the ring.
What level is his current club?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth

Lilian Nalis has been the assistant manager of a very attack minded RC Lens side in Ligue 1 for a few years now.

Jun 27, 2019
Reading sold two other players for big money in the last two days of the window - they didn't need, at the time, to sell Azeez as result, no matter how hard we tried.
They didn't need to sell him yet just tried to flog their training ground. They were desperate for cash and we should have pushed harder to get him.

Reactions: Justin