Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 72 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Who do you want as the new manager?

• Johannes Hoff Thorup

Votes: 77 30.6%
  • Anthony Barry

Votes: 27 10.7%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Nigel Pearson

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • Michael Skubala

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Nathan Jones

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Gareth Ainsworth

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Gary Rowett

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Someone else

Votes: 37 14.7%

• Total voters
Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Allardyce is probably just talking up his mate - Robinson was his assistant at Leeds.
You are probably correct. His win percentage at his current club Salford is the weakest of any of the teams where he has managed. I acknowledge he has not been at Salford a long time, but neither has he really excelled in his previous appointments. I think Argyle could do better.

Penlee

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Robinson would be horrendous. He got lazy at Oxford because his individual players were so good and ended up in freefall and the sack

Oct 18, 2022
Looking back at what has been stated by club figures (rightly IMO) as the profile of manager we'll be targeting I think we can rule out a number of the somewhat rogue suggestions posted in this thread. An attacking, expansive, style of football and a head coach type with strong on-grass coaching skills are two prerequisites that SH has mentioned. This, combined with our budget and our general way of doing things under this leadership, would I think, exclude a number of managers, such as those who either play more 'pragmatic' football or older, experienced types from the manager merry-go-round. That should rule out the Ainsworths, Pearsons, Parkers etc.

Looking to managers already employed in the lower leagues, should we opt not to go for another 'first timer' after IF, presumably we would be looking at people who are judged to have overachieved against expectations and budget.

In this mould, Des Buckingham seems to fit the profile but has had a mixed time at Oxford, making the play offs but not in a convincing way, and reportedly being very close to edge until a recent excellent run of form. Jury is still out I'd say.

Richie Wellens was said to have been interviewed previously and has certainly over delivered but has just signed a new contract at Orient.

Skubala, as has been mentioned a lot in this thread, seems an intriguing proposition and seemingly a perfect fit for us. Exceeding expectations by playing expansive football marks him out as one to watch.

Mike Williamson has again been talked about a lot and I fully agree that we should be giving him strong consideration. His record is outstanding and he has an extremely clear identity in terms of playing style. Could yet win promotion through the play offs, and is currently strongly linked with Barnsley.

A wildcard option could be Scott Lindsey. He has massively overperformed at Crawley. They were preseason favourites for relegation with a small budget but have made it into the playoffs whilst playing expansive football. Interestingly Klaidi Lolos has starred as a creative, goalscoring no 10.

Another option would be to take a gamble on an up and coming coach, which is a risk I don't think we would be scared of taking, irrespective of how IF's tenure turned out. Many have mentioned Anthony Barry, but one other potential name seems to have gone under the radar slightly. According to the Athletic, Harry Watling was considered for the job last time out, and I would be surprised if he wasn't again in the mix this time round. Quite an interesting profile.

And then of course there is the overseas route, which is a wide pool of unknowns. Scandinavia has bourne a lot of ripe fruit in recent years, both in terms of under-the-radar playing talent, but also as a managerial testing ground. Marti Cifuentes and Graham Potter are obvious examples of talent that can be found there.

Reactions: warney

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
We should steal McKenna from Ipswich!

Jul 6, 2005
I see Will Still has left Reims by mutual consent and is looking for a job in the UK.

Interestingly, he admits to playing Football Manager and Championship Manager to help develop his managerial skills. He also attended a college course on Coaching when he was the Assistant Manager of Preston's U-14 team.

He would appear to meet Dewsnip's criteria for Head Coach.

Jun 27, 2019
I see Will Still has left Reims by mutual consent and is looking for a job in the UK.

Interestingly, he admits to playing Football Manager and Championship Manager to help develop his managerial skills. He also attended a college course on Coaching when he was the Assistant Manager of Preston's U-14 team.

He would appear to meet Dewsnip's criteria for Head Coach.
He wants to manage in the Premier League but said he would be willing to join an "ambitious" Championship club.

That rules us out.

• Haha
Reactions: Said old Green
Nov 18, 2011
He wants to manage in the Premier League but said he would be willing to join an "ambitious" Championship club.

That rules us out.
De Zerbi is supposed to be leaving Brighton at the end of the season. Still seems like the kind of appointment they'd make.

Oct 10, 2018
Walid Regragui, he is a fantastic manager and done an incredible job. He once stated that no European clubs at a descent level would ever offer an Arabian manager a head coaching job. He sadly is probably correct, we could break that mould.

Walid Regragui teams, play fast, counter attacking football, and he has brought through young players from across a variety of clubs throughout Europe, and they have played at a level far above many would have expected.

Would be an intriguing interview at the very least

Nov 18, 2011
Walid Regragui, he is a fantastic manager and done an incredible job. He once stated that no European clubs at a descent level would ever offer an Arabian manager a head coaching job. He sadly is probably correct, we could break that mould.

Walid Regragui teams, play fast, counter attacking football, and he has brought through young players from across a variety of clubs throughout Europe, and they have played at a level far above many would have expected.

Would be an intriguing interview at the very least
It's already been pointed out by others earlier but why on earth would a World Cup semi finalist consider a Championship/League 1 role?

He'll get a very well paid job in the Saudi league when he wants to leave Morocco.

Reactions: jerryatricjanner