Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 47 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
I would like a coach who can make the team pass with a little more purpose.

When we play it along the back, we end up tying ourselves in knots. It eventually goes back to Cooper to boot upfield or we give it away in our own half for teams to break on us.

I get the idea is to play in a brave way. But l watch them now for years & think there isn't much reward from this. Argyle are at their best when a team comes forward & leaves gaps to exploit as the move breaks down.

I would like to see more wing play. A forward who can header a cross perhaps. I look at all these teams & they have players with real acceleration in wide areas. Although Leciester were poor, their man outlet was Fatawu who caused us issues all game.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
They'd never part company with him, it would be the other way round if he were to leave - they had almost no chance of survival before he was appointed.

Their chairman is a strange one. He can alienate pretty quickly. Whilst he remains there that club have a Canon ball chained to their leg.

• Haha
Reactions: greenpig27

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Regarding Will Still, he’s getting linked with Sunderland

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
Their chairman is a strange one. He can alienate pretty quickly. Whilst he remains there that club have a Canon ball chained to their leg.
He might be crazy, but he can't be* stupid enough to decide that if they go down it's Danny Rohl's fault - he's the one who opted to appoint Munoz instead of Rohl in the summer!

*I appreciate he clearly can be that stupid :LOL:

Jan 17, 2006
Saltash
THanks for your reply graham.

Not sure how valid a point it is to say that Shuey was / is a learner. And I dont think I'd accept that point, respectfully.

I always think that course ( in this sense that would be previous experience at the club) and distance ( previous experience of managing in the championship) horses are the the ones to back.in horseracing of course, that's a proven algorithm.

Of course we wouldn't have many choices if we were looking at 'course' horses, so dont think that should apply- but 'distance' ( previous experience of managing in the championship) should definitely apply, in my opinion.

Shuey knew the club well at the time of his appointment- so you cant really compare him to an external candidate who doesnt have an understanding of the club- like Foster.

Also at the time of our promotion Shuey already had experience, as he was the one who got us promoted out of league 1.

Also there was little risk with shuey as he was appointed in a lower league and at the time was merely continuing with ryan Lowe's tactics ( which of course he adapted over time)- and he knew these tactics inside out having also worked with lowe at bury.

To me it's like were apologising for being one of the ' big fish' in European football- which we are- by definition, being a championship club ( albeit in a small way). Idont think this is an exaggeration if you look at the standing in which the championship is held, in relation to European leagues.

So why are we accepting or proposing to accept an 'L' plate manager- again, after foster ?? Is it because neil dewsnip wants to find somebody who he can work with and who doesnt have a big ego ? If this is the case- then is this a proper criteria against which an appointment should be judged ??

If our organisational structure is preventing us from appointing an experienced manager with a proven track record- then surely the solution is to change our organisational structure ??

You say there is no stand out candidate- but again I would have to disagree. Michael duff is the obvious candidate , and if he had been appointed instead of foster, I think we would already have been safe ( unverifiable I know, but that's my ooinion).

Duff is the ' play it again sam' candidate. We would only be asking him to do at Argyle ( in the champoinship) what hed already achieved at cheltenham ( in league 1). The sizecomparison of cheltenham to clubs in league 1, broadly correlates o Argyle in the championship in my view....
Liked and agreed with everything you said, right up to you mentioning Duff... Can't agree he fits with your previous words!!

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I’d take a look at Danny Rohl should the Wendies part company with him when they’re relegated.

I think it’s highly unlikely that Wednesday would sack him if they go down but he is potentially somebody we could look to poach (depending on how much compensation it would cost us).

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
I think it’s highly unlikely that Wednesday would sack him if they go down but he is potentially somebody we could look to poach (depending on how much compensation it would cost us).
The Wendies would have the meltiest of all meltdowns if we poached their manager. It would be hilarious. Only on Friday, they were talking about taking Cooper as he only had a year left on his contract! 🤣

May 28, 2015
Are any other championship clubs without a manager currently? It seems strange for will still to say he’s leaving to try and manage an ambitious championship team when he may not even get offered one? I know he’s done well and he probably will but it’s not guaranteed? To me it almost seems as if he’s had an approach. I’m not saying that’s us either, just seems odd to specify an ambitious championship team? Or have his words been taken out of context?

Aug 12, 2016
Bang Phra. Thailand
It is my understanding Reims have a have a five million Euro buy out clause on Will Still.
That should rule him out for us.

Besides he has stated he wants to manage a Premiership club but accepts he will need to start with a Championship club first. ( no sign of arrogance there then !) If he were to come to us a good run towards the top and he would be off by January.

Sunderland looks like a shoe in (forgive the bad pun, but a 'shoe' out may mean Stoke) Both clubs have owners willing to throw money around.

Reactions: greenpig27

The Pasty Kid

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 16, 2006
Liskeard
It is my understanding Reims have a have a five million Euro buy out clause on Will Still.
That should rule him out for us.

Besides he has stated he wants to manage a Premiership club but accepts he will need to start with a Championship club first. ( no sign of arrogance there then !) If he were to come to us a good run towards the top and he would be off by January.

Sunderland looks like a shoe in (forgive the bad pun, but a 'shoe' out may mean Stoke) Both clubs have owners willing to throw money around.
He'll need UEFA Pro for the Prem, so he couldn't take one there yet anyhow

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Are any other championship clubs without a manager currently? It seems strange for will still to say he’s leaving to try and manage an ambitious championship team when he may not even get offered one? I know he’s done well and he probably will but it’s not guaranteed? To me it almost seems as if he’s had an approach. I’m not saying that’s us either, just seems odd to specify an ambitious championship team? Or have his words been taken out of context?

Mike Dodds is only Sunderland’s interim manager, I think Will Still will end up there this summer, he was being linked with them before they appointed Beale earlier in the season.

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
The Wendies would have the meltiest of all meltdowns if we poached their manager. It would be hilarious. Only on Friday, they were talking about taking Cooper as he only had a year left on his contract! 🤣
If Wednesday go down, you can see someone like Stoke going for their manager. The QPR manager may also be in high demand in the summer. I think we’ll be looking in lower leagues. Williams from Notts County was a good pick up by Swansea (he also used to be their coach) . I still think Michael Duff has a profile to match us and probably a point to prove too.

Jun 24, 2008
Yorkshire
Is it too early for a poll ? Seriously though if we are safe next week does the appointment start to go into full swing or do we wait until seasons end? I personally think that we maybe wait til season end but want need it done by end of May to allow someone to mould there squad needs a rebuild this season with the rumoured departures. Will any investment possibilities hold up the process?

Reactions: Fred