Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 80 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Who do you want as the new manager?

• Johannes Hoff Thorup

Votes: 81 22.6%
  • Anthony Barry

Votes: 44 12.3%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

Votes: 35 9.7%
  • Nigel Pearson

Votes: 23 6.4%
  • Michael Skubala

Votes: 53 14.8%
  • Nathan Jones

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Gareth Ainsworth

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • Gary Rowett

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • Someone else

Votes: 51 14.2%
  • David Wagner

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Will Still

Votes: 36 10.0%

• Total voters

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I think the new guy will be told that you have a group of players who will run through a brick wall for the club, most are under contract for next season and will stay, you will keep those players and you can add 5 or 6 of your own.

Hence a Head Coach being appointed rather than a manager.
Here are the players, go and coach them.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
I think the new guy will be told that you have a group of players who will run through a brick wall for the club, most are under contract for next season and will stay, you will keep those players and you can add 5 or 6 of your own.

Hence a Head Coach being appointed rather than a manager.
Here are the players, go and coach them.
But aren't we meant to be expecting a mass exodus?
I'm hoping that no one wants our better players and we build on top of that, we also have as you say the players who will run through brick walls but surely most aren't good enough for the Championship?

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
Sidney, British Columbia,, Canada
We need to push the budget on getting a quality appointment IMO, its not the position to try and make a saving, getting a manager that gets this hard working team gelled, and playing confident football again would be huge even before we consider any new player acquisitions.

Reactions: MustardEagle
May 11, 2017
Great Yarmouth
Why's that?
In my insignificant opinion, he just doesn't seem to inspire the fans and the players wherever he's been. I just can't warm to him for some reason. Sunderland was a bit of a disaster (basketcase club at the moment) and was a bit uninspiring at Rangers too. Jumped ship very quickly from QPR also so doesn't seem to have much loyalty either.

He just doesn't seem genuine as strange as that sounds.

Walkley owl

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Aug 25, 2009
Now we know exactly what the requirements is - i.e. a Manager to keep us up again but hopefully not going to the last game - I think that should significantly narrow the field.

Personally, I think it's a time for pragmatism so I would like to see a Gary Rowett or Nigel Pearson type of experienced Championship Manager to hopefully get us through the next couple of seasons and established in the Division.

It's all very well fans asking for a Manager who will get us playing like we did in League 1 last season, "you score 2, we'll score 3" sort of thing. But the reality is that we don't have the budget to sign the sort of players required to play an open, expansive, attacking style of football in the Championship.

We have to adapt to a way of playing that is commensurate with our budget.
I'm not sure Nige would take the job, he still lives up here and given his health issues I doubt he'd commute as far as he did at Bristol.

Every manager appointment is a risk, we blundered badly last summer with Xisco despite his decent record at Watford, we interviewed Röhl at the same time but the compensation to the German FA was too much apparently.

Reactions: Beer Song

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
I hope the lessons learnt include the fact that the manager/coach tends to be one of the if not the most important criteria when joining a club. Morgs, Mumba, Azaz loved the football Schuey played as it brought out the best in them and they wanted to play his style of football. I imagine it’s the same for managers like McKenna, Robins etc. Football is still a small industry and the players will all talk to each other and know which managers are the ones they want to play for and those to avoid (imagine how hard recruitment would be if we still had Foster as many players would share their bad experiences I’m sure)

Secondly the big learning has to be that the manager/coach needs to create a brilliant team spirit and culture. A lot of that is in place throughout the club but still our location means this is incredibly important. The Hull game showed how far that can take you. Also a sign of that is ex players (Butch, Macca, Mayor) coming to watch yesterday.

The role of Dewsnip is an interesting one. Clearly he cares about the team and has helped us move forward as a club. However a good coach/ manager may not gel with him as I can imagine he divides opinion.

I hope we actually use some external head hunter/ outside contacts to draw up a shortlist than rely on in house resource. Ipswich seemed like they targeted McKenna, Pompey Mousinho etc. That feels like the profile we can still target if done correctly.

May 11, 2019
Now we know exactly what the requirements is - i.e. a Manager to keep us up again but hopefully not going to the last game - I think that should significantly narrow the field.

Personally, I think it's a time for pragmatism so I would like to see a Gary Rowett or Nigel Pearson type of experienced Championship Manager to hopefully get us through the next couple of seasons and established in the Division.

It's all very well fans asking for a Manager who will get us playing like we did in League 1 last season, "you score 2, we'll score 3" sort of thing. But the reality is that we don't have the budget to sign the sort of players required to play an open, expansive, attacking style of football in the Championship.

We have to adapt to a way of playing that is commensurate with our budget.
Well you’ve saved me a post, spot on, we need substance over style, we’ve all scene how it needs to be done in the last three home games, when we’ve entered the final stages of each game we’ve killed the game by changing to five at the back, in this league with our budget winning is everything.

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
In my insignificant opinion, he just doesn't seem to inspire the fans and the players wherever he's been. I just can't warm to him for some reason. Sunderland was a bit of a disaster (basketcase club at the moment) and was a bit uninspiring at Rangers too. Jumped ship very quickly from QPR also so doesn't seem to have much loyalty either.

He just doesn't seem genuine as strange as that sounds.
The scene of him blanking one of his players on the touchline at Birmingham, then claiming he didn't see him, was really damning in my view.

I think we've experienced the dangers of that kind of man management this season too.

Oct 10, 2018
All three relegated teams had experienced managers in charge. I'm not saying that experience isn't important but I don't think it's the be all and end all - look at McKenna at Ipswich, for example.
Yes, true but McKenna three huge advantages at Ipswich, the training and academy facilities at Ipswich are of premiership quality.

When I lived in Ipswich, I used to play for the Suffolk & University College footy team, and we trained at the same facilities.

Ipswich only 75 mins by train to London Liverpool Street, so much easy to pull recruitment

Plenty of financial backing with big investors.

Oct 10, 2018
Steven Neismith at Hearts or Shaun Maloney, depends on how much the compo would be and their interest.

Or we look abroad in Holland, Scandinavia, or Germany for young developing head coach