Wide-ranging Neil Dewsnip interview | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Wide-ranging Neil Dewsnip interview

May 8, 2011
What was interesting about the interview was the reference to the good talent coming through in the younger age groups in addition to Jephcott and Cooper, shows what a good job Kevin Hodges had done with the Academy, makes you wonder why he was let go.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Quizmike":235ykjjp said:
cheshiregreen":235ykjjp said:
Sorry to bring some negativity to a positive thread. Our problem will come when RL joins a Championship side (probably). We will lose a lot of our backroom staff, including the impressive Mr Dewsnip.

Hopefully that day is at least a year away.

Or RL makes Argyle a Championship club

Which he will. In my humble view.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
HC Green":11z83y9k said:
What was interesting about the interview was the reference to the good talent coming through in the younger age groups in addition to Jephcott and Cooper, shows what a good job Kevin Hodges had done with the Academy, makes you wonder why he was let go.
Wasn't part of the reason that it was felt an insufficient number were making the final step from U18s to the professional game which to be fair is a huge step that only a small minority make? I don't think anyone doubted some of the fine work put in by Kevin Hodges and co. but that is not to say the club should always be striving to improve personnel in all areas just as they have with the first team manager and his team.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Quizmike":1eimx46x said:
cheshiregreen":1eimx46x said:
Sorry to bring some negativity to a positive thread. Our problem will come when RL joins a Championship side (probably). We will lose a lot of our backroom staff, including the impressive Mr Dewsnip.

Hopefully that day is at least a year away.

Or RL makes Argyle a Championship club

Don't believe that isn't a possibility. Think the issue is a question of timing. Two Championship sides have had managerial changes since season started. If say, a Derby or a Sheffield Wednesday wanted him in few months time (late 2020/early 2021), I think it would be difficult for him not to be tempted.

Just an opinion.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I think he is learning as he goes and he’s not yet ready for Championship football.

Maybe in a couple of years time.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I’ve never understood why some bigger clubs don’t take on up and coming managers and loan them to smaller clubs to play there trade.

The owner club would pay for the wage and development and the smaller club rep the short term reward.

A bit like a loan deal for a manager

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Interesting listen and If the core infrastructure of the club and its ownership remains intact, the sense here of a long term plan/philosophy is admirable. Club policy should therefore be to recruit future managers into that philosophy so they are a continuation not a disruption. My worry though is that expediency (promotion and relegation particularly or, god forbid, new owners) can make clubs change tack/philosophy/approach on a sixpence so that one day youth is the thing, the next it isn’t. I so hope this ensures but how many clubs appear to have an enduring playing and talent development philosophy that lives on manager to manager, or owner to owner? Too few by a fair margin

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
Tugboat":1l9alsg6 said:
I’ve never understood why some bigger clubs don’t take on up and coming managers and loan them to smaller clubs to play there trade.

The owner club would pay for the wage and development and the smaller club rep the short term reward.

A bit like a loan deal for a manager

What would happen if that manager comes up against his home club in the Cup ? It's not like he could cup tie himself as a manager.

Sep 6, 2006
IJN":2hwuf0bk said:
I think he is learning as he goes and he’s not yet ready for Championship football.

Maybe in a couple of years time.

I agree with that(for once!). Still very inexperienced. I get the impression more and more that he is just the front man. Nothing from his press conferences suggest any great insight.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Balham_Green":3i10wjcb said:
I agree with that(for once!). Still very inexperienced. I get the impression more and more that he is just the front man. Nothing from his press conferences suggest any great insight.

Never use press conferences to gauge a manager, their work is done in the 99% of time that isn't fulfilling press duties.

I think he's a lot smarter than people realise, but I also think he and Steven Schumacher are a brilliant partnership.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I think you’re right to not gauge a manager by his interviews, Biggs. Part af the skill of a manager is to talk to the press without actually saying anything.

Sep 6, 2006
GreenThing":25jy5rg3 said:
I think you’re right to not gauge a manager by his interviews, Biggs. Part af the skill of a manager is to talk to the press without actually saying anything.

Well, that's not a great way to engage with the punters. No need to give trade secrets away. Am just talking about some reflections on the game. I notice his instinctive reaction is to to say 'yes' agreeing with the interviewer every time.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yet most people would say he's been very good at engaging well with fans and media, so I think he's fine.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep I agree.

I thought he was Jack the Lad before he came here, but you can see the bloke is not all talk. Also when you see him interact with players off camera, you can see he’s a proper people person.

Plus ALL of the new recruits give two main reasons why they come here 1) The way we play football and 2) Ryan Lowe is the manager.

That’ll do for me.