Would you buy an Argyle shirt with a gambling sponsor? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Would you buy an Argyle shirt with a gambling sponsor?

N

newquaygreen

Would always prefer a local sponsor but not overly bothered.
I guess the real deal clincher is how much Argyle get out of it.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Wouldn't bother me at all.

Bookies are not horrible places. Some people have gambling addictions; I don't blame the bookies.

Do we blame pubs and shops for alcoholics?
Should we blame Ginsters for obesity?

Contrary to some opinion the people working for these organisations are not monsters.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Thomas Edwards":1768yw4k said:
Bookies are not horrible places. Some people have gambling addictions; I don't blame the bookies.

Do we blame pubs and shops for alcoholics?
Should we blame Ginsters for obesity?

Contrary to some opinion the people working for these organisations are not monsters.

Just playing devils advocate with your point about pubs and Ginsters etc... those establishments offer a product, which you exchange money for to enjoy.

A bookmaker’s ideal scenario is taking money from the consumer and not giving them anything in return.

The online-only gambling sites go a step further, and do the same thing while employing very few people (unlike the brick and mortar bookies) and basing themselves in tax havens. And their apps make it very easy to part with money for your fix in a matter of milliseconds, which you can’t do with a pasty or pint of lager.

Just to be clear, it’s the latter sort of company I had in mind when creating this thread.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
I understand your argument, but I'm trying to sway people away from stereotyping or making assumptions.

I play the national lottery. I know I'm probably going to lose but I want to win.

I used to manage a bookies and a lot of customers would say this, "I don't drink, I don't smoke, I rarely go out, I've not got kids, this is what I enjoy"

It's a similar concept to the lottery but it's more in your control. People can and do make good money from the bookies. Some people lose but know they're going to just for the occasional win.

Your pleasure might come from spending £40 on Argyle at the weekend, who are we to say you'd be wasting that £40 if you went to the bookies instead?