Ye Olde Plymouth Quiz. #3 | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ye Olde Plymouth Quiz. #3

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
GOS, I reckon it's the old Corn Exchange which survived the bombing.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Bernie Bernbaum":2w2txmuk said:
GOS, I reckon it's the old Corn Exchange which survived the bombing.
Cheers BB, yes, in East Street. I reckon you're spot on.

Here's pic I came across a couple of years ago, which I think is fascinating in its own right. But also, the shape of the buildings in the bottom part of the old streets matches the ones in the distance in #12, and the direction fits with where #12 would have been taken. Also, the shape of the roofs suggest it's a warehouse-type building, so the Corn Exchange fits very well.

citycentre1954.jpg

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
Yes I agree. I thought it was in the right direction and there weren't that many buildings of that size that survived.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Talking of bombing, I think this one is the most haunting.

Ewt98D9.jpg

Barrie Davis

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
GreensOnScreen":10i687sk said:
Barrie Davis":10i687sk said:
pastiesforlife":10i687sk said:
12. Old Town St.
Bedford Vaults was in Bedford Street so assume this is the junction with Old Town Street.
Have done a bit of digging and Bedford Wine & Spirits Vaults' address was 36 Old Town Street, towards the northern end of Old Town Street so I think a little way from Bedford Street. I reckon it was just a little bit in front and above where the Methodist Central Hall is now. This photo looks south-west - I'm curious what the building is in the distance.

I suspect that there has been, over time, some jiggery pokery with streets and numbering. On oldplymouth.uk, the 1852 directory showed The Bedford Inn (the Vaults previous identity) being at No.10 Bedford Street but it was the first building in the road because 1-9 had been demolished by then. 36, at the north end, Old Town Street was a pastry cook. In 1892, the Vaults was listed in Kelly's as 36 Old Town Street. It no longer was at the north end of OTS. I presume rebuilding and renumbering has totally confused the issue.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Very possibly Barrie. I've the 1940 Kelly's, which puts 36 between Saltash Street and Duke Street (nearer Saltash Street). Here's a scan from one of the old photo books, which very handily shows the streets. By the look of the kerb, I reckon 36 might be where I've marked. The things we do in lockdown, eh?

oldplymouthmap.jpg

Barrie Davis

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
Forget lockdown, I love looking at Plymouth history and old pictures. That makes a lot of sense and very logical. Know what I think? I think there was more than one Bedford Vaults - a bit like the Wetherspoons of its day. I have found this view which was taken effectively from outside the Bedford Vaults (by the photographer's right arm) looking broadly in the same direction as the original quiz picture
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/history/plymouths-old-town-street-pictured-791804

Directly in front is No. 32 and E B Jodphur was at No. 1 Saltash Street, exactly as shown on your map.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Plympton Ridgeway and they're hot cross buns.

Apparently it used to be a 'thing' in the old days.

Derek (justanotherfan) is so old, he'll tell us about it. :lol:

Jun 2, 2010
Plymouth or Pacific
22 Salisbury Road School brought huge memories for me. I was one of the kids who had gas masks fitted there but in an older group.After about a minute the window steamed up and you couldn't see a thing. In practice sessions the trick was to hang back sneak up on some kid you didn't like hook you finger in the side of their mask pull out and let go. It really did sting.
Happy days :)