Ye Olde Plymouth Quiz #4 | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ye Olde Plymouth Quiz #4

Oct 20, 2015
Derriford
Grand Parade at Rusty Anchor is 3 storeys high and has a square parapet, not a gable end. If you use Google go Wolseley Road in Saltash Passage. Opposite Little Ash Gardens is the Tamar River Sailing Club and just south there is a pair of large semi-detached houses. The northern gable end is the same size and shape, but now painted cream. The steps have been blocked in but still visible.

Obviously the advert has gone. When I joined the City planning department in 1972 they had a policy of discontinuance action against advertising hoardings around the city and I would bet that was why this one was removed. Steve Dean's brother, Roger, would confirm this. That's why Plymouth has relatively few advert hoardings left compared to other cities.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
The Lyndhurst Sage":1fnu2bqb said:
Grand Parade at Rusty Anchor is 3 storeys high and has a square parapet, not a gable end. If you use Google go Wolseley Road in Saltash Passage. Opposite Little Ash Gardens is the Tamar River Sailing Club and just south there is a pair of large semi-detached houses. The northern gable end is the same size and shape, but now painted cream. The steps have been blocked in but still visible.

Obviously the advert has gone. When I joined the City planning department in 1972 they had a policy of discontinuance action against advertising hoardings around the city and I would bet that was why this one was removed. Steve Dean's brother, Roger, would confirm this. That's why Plymouth has relatively few advert hoardings left compared to other cities.
Ah yes.... That'll be it. Thanks.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
1 Tin Pan Alley
2 Plymstock Broadway
3 Gydinia Way
4 Yelverton Airfield
6 Wolseley Road Saltash Passage.
7 Mutton Cove
8 St Levans Road
9 Mutley Plain
10 Old Town Street
11 North Road West
12 New George Street
13 Hooe
14 Millbridge Toll House
15 Smith Crisps Ernesettle
17 Very top end of Union Street roughly where Sparrows was.
18 Jct Union Street/Western Approach
19 Top of Western Approach
20 The Octagon
21 Spooners Food Hall
22 Old Town Street
23 George S
24 Plymouth Pier (Hoe)
25 Palace Theatre
26 Embankment Road towards the Plympton/Plymstock spilt.
27 St Judes/Mt Gould
28 Coburg Street
29 North Quay
30 Frankfort Gate

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
As I say, this is the last of the quizzes.

But these four photos exemplify some of the wonderful photos that have caught the social history of our fine City.

See if you can guess where they are.

xp1uGTD.jpg

m4xuPeV.jpg

8VXnc92.jpg

Nf7QOvz.jpg

Mar 22, 2020
23. Moons pianos was in George St near the old chapel coop. I'm guessing many of the buildings in the foreground no longer exist but my hunch would be its outside Raglan barracks looking south west.

Steve Dean

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
IJN":3vs55fca said:
1 Tin Pan Alley
2 Plymstock Broadway
3 Gydinia Way
4 Yelverton Airfield
7 Mutton Cove
8 St Levans Road
9 Mutley Plain
10 Old Town Street
11 North Road West
12 New George Street
13 Peverell
14 Millbridge Toll House
20 The Octagon
21 Spooners Food Hall
22 Old Town Street
24 Plymouth Pier (Hoe)
25 Palace Theatre
27 St Judes/Mt Gould
28 Coburg Street
29 North Quay
30 Frankfort Gate
Ian, I think we've agreed that 13 is Hooe, and there seems to be a strong view that 4 is Chelson Meadow. Could you say which of these you are very confident about, i.e. came from your photo sources? For instance, #1 doesn't feel right, or was there a pre-war Tin Pan Alley?

Much appreciated! :clap:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
GreensOnScreen":34ys2xer said:
IJN":34ys2xer said:
1 Tin Pan Alley
2 Plymstock Broadway
3 Gydinia Way
4 Yelverton Airfield
7 Mutton Cove
8 St Levans Road
9 Mutley Plain
10 Old Town Street
11 North Road West
12 New George Street
13 Hooe
14 Millbridge Toll House
20 The Octagon
21 Spooners Food Hall
22 Old Town Street
23 George Street
24 Plymouth Pier (Hoe)
25 Palace Theatre
27 St Judes/Mt Gould
28 Coburg Street
29 North Quay
30 Frankfort Gate
Ian, I think we've agreed that 13 is Hooe, and there seems to be a strong view that 4 is Chelson Meadow. Could you say which of these you are very confident about, i.e. came from your photo sources? For instance, #1 doesn't feel right, or was there a pre-war Tin Pan Alley?

Much appreciated! :clap:

My mistake re Hooe Steve, it's so hard to do this keep up thing. :facepalm:

Tin Pan Alley is what I've got against 1, but I'm very happy to be proved wrong.

As for five, I'm sure it was Devonport or Embankment Road, but I lost my tag to it. :oops:

I see there's no takers on 3 of the 4 new ones.

The bottom two are truly incredible photos in my opinion, both well known to all of us as well.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
GreensOnScreen":334ecvm8 said:
16: King Street by any chance?

Dont know about 16 but isnt that a reflection of the King Street Methodist Church in the window of 5?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Mark Pedlar":1fl5dd1p said:
GreensOnScreen":1fl5dd1p said:
16: King Street by any chance?

Dont know about 16 but isnt that a reflection of the King Street Methodist Church in the window of 5?

Well I thought that was the church on the corner of the park in Embankment Road, it is an angled reflection showing the building on the Astor Park corner of the roundabout. The reflection in the shops further up is of the large terraced properties opposite Embankment Road shops (now mostly HMO/bedsit flats?) :think:

Jun 2, 2010
Plymouth or Pacific
I think the photo of the old house with a family in the door is one of the farm houses that were in what we now know as Central Park. I've seen something similar in one of the Library collections of old Plymouth photos.