Ye Olde Plymouth Quiz #4 | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ye Olde Plymouth Quiz #4

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
cheshiregreen":buv9k0fq said:
13. Peverell. One of the roads between Peverell Park Road and Weston Park Road

Edgcumbe Park Road or Thornbury Park Avenue?

Any further information Cheshire. Both Steve Dean and myself are having a discussion. :greensmile:

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
13. I think you will find that Arscotts Stores were in Hooe, adjacent to the primary school. The majority of house windows in Peverell are squared whereas the ones in the picture are arched.

The owners surname was in fact Scott so the AR are probably initials.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
There you go Steve, Derek agreed with me, it’s Hooe not Peverell so we were both right.

Steve Dean

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Yes, and I think I've found exactly where it was too. Hooe Road, on the hill down to Hooe shops, on the other side of the road from the school. Have a look at the screen grab from Google Street View - the angle is different and obviously a lot has changed, but the shape of the windows matches and that stone wall and gate are pretty compelling, especially that large stone on the left of the wall, which seems to match. There's also the H fire hydrant sign on the wall of the building on the left.

Ian, I think you're saying that you haven't got your own answer for a few of them? Can you say which ones you're sure of and which ones you're not?

hooeshop.jpg

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Is 28 not Coburg Street/Charles Street junction?

May 31, 2020
I still think, as Mark says, that No 28 is going up towards the Harvest Home and Coburg Street. My uncle had a shop just down from Capps the jewellers.
As to No 1, how about one of the "opes" leading from Southside Street towards the water?

Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
Really not sure about No.4 being Yelverton (not that important in the overall scheme of things but an interesting discussion). The plane in the picture, operated by Imperial Airways on the mail run between Croyden and Plymouth, was registered in April 1923. It was damaged in 1924, rebuilt and was used in Cape Town and Australia to see if air routes between UK, South Africa and Australia were viable. It was re-registered as VW-UMC in 1926. It crashed and was destroyed in 1934. Yelverton had an airfield (RAF Harrowbeer) from 1941. Roborough opened in 1925. The picture is more likely to be Chelson Meadow where the Croyden - Plymouth mail route took off. Yes, I am a nerd.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Baz, with a lii I ad of these photos I ‘borrow’ them from t’internet and always make a note of where they according to the person who puts the photo(s) up. It said Yelverton but I reckon you could daily be right. For the sake of the ‘quiz’ I’ll use Yelvy but I love all this input and my notes for future use will now be enhanced.

Thanks for everyone’s input. It’s appreciated.

Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
I love all this old Plymouth stuff too. Memories of when I was a kid being taken to Drake Circus, seeing it come down, built again then taken down and rebuilt. When you remember something being built and later demolished, it really brings home that you are getting old. No.23 is Lockyer Street as I had to pass the bank building (now a pub) on the right many times each day as part of my first job after leaving school in 1966. I even have memories of coming out of the old market building and being near the rear of where M&S now is.

May 31, 2020
Great photo, Ian. Now I can really bore people!
The photographer is standing with his/her back to the market and Corn Exchange, and looking at Tin Pan Alley. On the left someone sold toffee apples, and my mother would buy me one if I had been good. Straight ahead, the curving street is the top of Old Town Street and the bottom of Tavistock Road, with the Guinness clock off on the right. The side of Dr Scholls' place is in the top centre of the picture, with the Bedford Vaults (hidden) in the same block. The El Sombrero is in the block on the right.
The photographer in No 28 was further up from the Bedford Vaults and looking north. He could see the corner of Queen Anne Terrace and the road leading up to the Harvest Home and Coburg Street corner.

Jun 2, 2010
Plymouth or Pacific
The photo of Tin Pan Alley shows how tough things were when crowds like that flocked to what was a ramshackle set up. The toffee apple salesman described by Whitleigh by was probably Tommy Weeks. If you took in sugar, which was rationed from time to time, he would sell you the rough equivalent weight of his home made sweets which were a dream come true to us kids brought up on rationing.

Aug 17, 2005
George Willis":37d5v90p said:
The photo of Tin Pan Alley shows how tough things were when crowds like that flocked to what was a ramshackle set up. The toffee apple salesman described by Whitleigh by was probably Tommy Weeks. If you took in sugar, which was rationed from time to time, he would sell you the rough equivalent weight of his home made sweets which were a dream come true to us kids brought up on rationing.

It also demonstrates how lucky and how far we have come when there are parts of the world that still exist and worse conditions like it today.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
sverigegreen":1krybhqr said:
No 6 Rusty Anchor, Grand Parade
A quick check of Google maps shows you could well be correct there. The bus shelter is blocking the view of the sea from the spot in the road where the picture was taken but just back up the road a bit you can clearly make out a very similar looking headland