Your Argyle 'career' | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Your Argyle 'career'

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
oddball":1ff22bti said:
I well remember an Argyle centre forward called George Kirby who as I seem to remember always,more often than not, had a bandage around his head.....I was a big fan of George and it really irked me when he went to Southampton...obviously these "accidents" judging by his bandages happened at both ends of the pitch....
Yes, I too remember George Kirby, who I think signed for Argyle on the same day as Jimmy MacAnearney. My Dad was talking to them the following day, and invited them to supper. Good thing my Mother was a good and unflappable cook!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Bovey-Green lady":eegstb84 said:
oddball":eegstb84 said:
I well remember an Argyle centre forward called George Kirby who as I seem to remember always,more often than not, had a bandage around his head.....I was a big fan of George and it really irked me when he went to Southampton...obviously these "accidents" judging by his bandages happened at both ends of the pitch....
Yes, I too remember George Kirby, who I think signed for Argyle on the same day as Jimmy MacAnearney. My Dad was talking to them the following day, and invited them to supper. Good thing my Mother was a good and unflappable cook!
3 came in that week. George, Jim and Johnny Newman. What a thrill for your Dad.

Nov 11, 2020
Like many on here, began late 60’s, highlights Waiters era, Man City semi ( mitched off school), Santos, Being a pal of Gary Daniel (son of Robert) we met Pele in the changing room and he patted me on the head !! I then pursued my own non-league playing career, even spending one season with Argyle reserves in Western league 83/84. In 90’s was a regular again, and top moments for me are away game wins. Reading 2-1 Chadwick winner, Swindon 3-2 (2-0 and you f...ed it up, Crawley 2-1 Taylor winner and Salford 3-2 last season. Was autograph collector as a kid and used to write to the teams asking their travel plans. Would then go to the railway station to meet the train or the hotel where they stayed. Players were so chuffed and approachable. Huddersfield stayed in Torquay, so me and a mate promptly got a bus there. We were 11 years old would it happen these days ?

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
memory man":2ztw71pr said:
Bovey-Green lady":2ztw71pr said:
oddball":2ztw71pr said:
Well, actually, Memory Man, it was about par for the course for my Dad! His job meant that he knew a lot of people in and around Plymouth, so we were quite accustomed to seeing interesting people around our dinner table! I remember Sir John Barbirolli once coming for dinner when he was conductor of the Halle Orchestra.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Bovey-Green lady":2ym8fvci said:
memory man":2ym8fvci said:
Bovey-Green lady":2ym8fvci said:
oddball":2ym8fvci said:
Well, actually, Memory Man, it was about par for the course for my Dad! His job meant that he knew a lot of people in and around Plymouth, so we were quite accustomed to seeing interesting people around our dinner table! I remember Sir John Barbirolli once coming for dinner when he was conductor of the Halle Orchestra.

That sounds like fun BGL.
What other guests did you have the pleasure of dining with?

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
A few that instantly come to mind are Price Chula ,(of Thailand)who lived in Cornwall at the time. I think his Cornish home was called Tredethy; Alan Villiers, and his Wife who I think was Nancy. He was the Captain of the Mayflower 2 which sailed to the US in 1970 to commemorate the original sailing of 1620, and was a fascinating man! Also Trevor Sharpe, who at the time was Director of Music, Coldstream Guards and whose name you see on the credits of "Dads' Army". The signature tune was arranged by Trevor and performed by him and his Band. It was never boring in our house!

Oct 20, 2011
January 19th 1963 , I was 10 years old and the country was gripped by “the big freeze “.
Somehow got in free at half time and stood next to the floodlight at the grandstand Barn Park End ( did my parents know where I was? ) .
Pitch glistening white with frost , players steaming in the cold, cigarette smoke mixing with the foggy air.
Lost 2 0 to Newcastle ,first home defeat of the season. I was well and truly hooked.
Back for next home match against Middlesbrough... lost 5 4 and I still have the match programme signed by players from both teams.
First win witnessed was in April , 3 1 against Leeds with a newly signed Peter McParland hattrick followed by a 2 1 win against soon to be promoted Chelsea.
58 years on and those early memories still shine on with the ensuing agony and ecstasy in roughly equal measure including 7 promotions and 8 relegations.
Will never forget Nicky Jennings and Dave Corbet galloping and tricking their ways down their respective wings to provide perfect crosses for Frank Lord to head home.
Carter, Bickle, Rafferty, Mariner and Tynan goal scoring heroes all.
Silky midfield skills from McAnearny, Burnside, Bloomfield and Machin not to mention Barry Jones on the right wing.
The rugged defending of Fincham , Newman, Nelson, Saxton ,Provan and Molyneux.
Miracles in goal performed by Maclaren, Furnell Cherry and Larrieu amongst others.
Thousands of games and hundreds of players too numerous to mention individually. But half empty classrooms at DHS for the Man City game. The thrill of Villa Park for the FA Cup semi final.
Wembley play offs twice. These and the bread and butter of grim battles with the real clubs of the lower leagues ( Port Vale have to get a mention ! ).
The pre game excitement is still there. The tingle on entering the stadium or the anxiety following the score on PASOTI or the radio.
Thanks for everything Argyle and here’s to a great future.

Lustymike9

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Nov 26, 2011
As far as I can recollect it was 1962 against Liverpool, we lost 3-2 but I always remember George Robertson scoring from near to the half way line into the Devonport end goal.
My Dad was the Electrician attending the game to look after the floodlights & he worked for Madge & Sons who were advertised in the match day programme, we used to stand on a platform just next to where the players came out, my claim to fame was to switch the floodlights on, I will never forget it & I was only eight years old.

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
What a fascinating thread! I go back to 1967 but I am in awe of many who started their Argyle journey well before and who saw players now embedded in the folklore of the club....players I was not honoured to see play!...Johnny Williams, Wilf Carter, Jimmy Gauld and many, many others. Please keep the memories going, its the heart of our club. :scarf: