Your Argyle 'career' | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Your Argyle 'career'

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Graham
I always had you down as a Millwall fan what with knowing Harry Cripps....not many will have heard of him....

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
oddball":14ff9ntv said:
In my day it was the smell of linament....guess I am showing my age....
Me too Oddball. Standing by the player's tunnel as the team came out it was vert strong and I always thought Duncan Neale had massive shiny thighs.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
I always thought Johnny Williams smelt a bit strong....I also used to have my perch alongside where the players came out...

Aug 14, 2014
My first match was against Colchester, 7th Feb 1959, the year Argyle won the inaugural Third Division Title. For the next six years we made the journey from St Ives to Home Park on 21 occasions, then I started playing senior football on a Saturday and only saw 2 more games before moving to Southampton in 1977. Luckily one of those was a Rafferty/Mariner masterclass win over WBA. My next visit to Home Park was to see York City in 1998 (a daughter was at Marjohns) and l only attended a couple of away games over the next 15 years.

I lost interest in live football from 1985 to 2005 due to events such as Heysel, Valley Parade, and Hillsborough. Hooliganism
was also a factor though I am relieved to say I have never been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Since 2014 I have attended 20 games home and away, but my reason to travel west has been sadly curtailed by a family bereavement. In 60 years I have watched Argyle close on 45 times, not many, but they are my team. I am a season ticket holder having watched Southampton 5 times as often as Argyle, but there is no passion as with Argyle. Every time I approach Home Park excitement mounts, expectation rises and nostalgia ensues; being among the green, black and white colours is such a thrill.

I will need to make an extra effort to visit Home Park in the future, but I very much doubt at my age (70) I will see my beloved Argyle play in the top division.

Jul 18, 2011
My first game was vs Santos in 1975 and my second one was in the FA Cup vs Everton, both full houses of 38,000. It should be like that every week....

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
oddball":2wwv2e9o said:
I always thought Johnny Williams smelt a bit strong....I also used to have my perch alongside where the players came out...
Reminds me of the joke, 2 parrots were stood on a perch and one said to the other, "It stinks of fish here"

Swaz

♣️ PASALB Member
Jan 25, 2011
bishops stortford
I first went to Argyle in the early 1960s taken by my season ticket holder Grandparents in The Mayflower, early recollections of v Cardiff and John Charles playing. Then, by own self to the Barn Park End mid sixties, remembering v QPR, lost 1 nil due to the Rodney Marsh dive and subsequent penalty. Couple of years later, in The Demport v Torquay, Boxing Day, won 6 v 0, Norman Piper free kick, top corner, what a beauty! Early 70s v Santos, Pele etc, and Man City (H) League Cup semi final, Steve Davey, 1 nill! Mariner, Raffetty, promotion season '75, FA Cup Semi Final v Watford 1984 and Wembley play off final mid 90's v Darlington. And a couple of non Argyle matches at Home Park attended, English League v Irish League, September 1966, 10 of the World Cup winners on the pitch, won 12 nill, and Man Utd v St Etiienne, late 1970s, Cup Winners Cup second leg,which had to held 300 miles away from Old Trafford due to crowd trouble in the first leg. Although the game has changed a lot in the last 20/30 years, we are now a club going between the 3rd and 4th tiers instead of the 2nd and 3rd tiers.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Swaz....could do better as the old school report might say....or indeed. Needs to work harder.....which would be my new year's message to Ryan Lowe....

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Swaz":3jd0n2wk said:
I first went to Argyle in the early 1960s taken by my season ticket holder Grandparents in The Mayflower, early recollections of v Cardiff and John Charles playing. Then, by own self to the Barn Park End mid sixties, remembering v QPR, lost 1 nil due to the Rodney Marsh dive and subsequent penalty. Couple of years later, in The Demport v Torquay, Boxing Day, won 6 v 0, Norman Piper free kick, top corner, what a beauty! Early 70s v Santos, Pele etc, and Man City (H) League Cup semi final, Steve Davey, 1 nill! Mariner, Raffetty, promotion season '75, FA Cup Semi Final v Watford 1984 and Wembley play off final mid 90's v Darlington. And a couple of non Argyle matches at Home Park attended, English League v Irish League, September 1966, 10 of the World Cup winners on the pitch, won 12 nill, and Man Utd v St Etiienne, late 1970s, Cup Winners Cup second leg,which had to held 300 miles away from Old Trafford due to crowd trouble in the first leg. Although the game has changed a lot in the last 20/30 years, we are now a club going between the 3rd and 4th tiers instead of the 2nd and 3rd tiers.
11 April 64 with Argyle desperately fighting against relegation. John Chatles' brother Mel also played ad did Peter Rodrigues, who some years later captained Southampton to the 1976 FA Cup.

Swaz

♣️ PASALB Member
Jan 25, 2011
bishops stortford
Memory man.... And meant to add the end of season match v Southampton mid 60s,Terry Payne etc when they won promotion to the 1st Division. No segregation then and there seemed to be more Saints fans in the ground that afternoon than us Greens!!
Oddball.... Yep, Plan A is looking good when it's working but we could do with having a Plan B to turn to quickly in a match when needed.

Feb 15, 2005
I joined the RN in 1972 and watched mid week games only at HP as I played rugby for Devonport Services on the weekends for the rest of the 70’s. I didn’t really get the green bug as I was a big Man U (home city) but loved live football. I think I went more regular 79/80 season and the super greens got into my blood. It’s been a roller coaster of ups and downs in my fortyish years but I’ve loved the ride.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
My first game was a home defeat to Rochdale in October 1969. (Coincidentally, my eldest son’s first game was against Rochdale in August 1998, but we won that one.)

My first home win was on Boxing Day 1969, a 6-0 trouncing of Torquay.

I missed a few seasons (circa 1976 to 1984) due to following Plymouth Albion (family ties and all that).

My first away game wasn’t until April 1986 at the dump otherwise known as Springfield Park. Wigan easily beat us 3-0 but we won our last four games and got promoted.

My first away win was in September 1986 at Boothferry Park, Hull, where we took a 3-0 half time lead and then just protected it in the second half.

I missed some more seasons, due to prioritising when raising a family.

I re-started regular visits to Home Park when my eldest son started taking more of an interest around 1999/2000 and I have been a season ticket holder since 2001.

I now sit in Block 12 with my youngest son.

Favourite match - Argyle 2 QPR 0, April 2004, although Wembley 1996 was a bit special.

jl62

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Aug 2, 2016
My 1st game was 2-1 win over Huddersfield 11/2/61 viewed from BPE. I was a regular the following 61/2 season when we finished 5th in Div2. GOS reminds me return of 1 point from last 6 games !!!
For me the best Argyle win I saw was this season against a very good West Ham side in the 3rd round cup game. 3-0 and then a heavy defeat to Spurs double winning side including new signing Jimmy Greaves.
I still believe this was the best Argyle side I saw over a season with Johnny Williams and the goal machine Wilf Carter my favourite players. Peaked at the age of 8 unfortunately.
Season ticket for 5 years and "educational" train football specials to Cardiff ,Bristol ,Charlton ,Millwall and QPR.
After that I played Saturdays , went to Uni in the early 70s and ended up working in London. Restricted to matches on visits home and London away games .Highlights were Villa Park and Wembley 96 and bizzarely the 4-3 defeat at Reading
All 3 kids are Argyle fans albeit they only make a game or 2 each season.
Retired 5 years ago and season ticket holder again. Regular at Fanfest and it is brilliant to chat now and again to some of my childhood heroes including Mike Trebilcock ( that penalty) ,Duncan Neale and Norman Piper..
In my opinion you only have one team and there is just nothing like watching your team live however they are doing. There is always hope!

Jul 6, 2005
oddball":3in4cirr said:
Graham
I always had you down as a Millwall fan what with knowing Harry Cripps....not many will have heard of him....
Harry Cripps, that's what you call a hard man, absolute Millwall legend.

Argyle 4 Cardiff 2, Boxing Day 1962.

2-1 down at half time and came back to win.

One of the highlights was Dave Maclaren knocking Derek Tapscott out cold at the Devonport End going for a cross in the days when the CF often took the Keeper out with his shoulder.

Feb 28, 2010
Mannamead
My first home game that I have a good memory of was the Colchester home game on a Tuesday that sealed promotion in 1975. And going as a 5 year old with my Dad, totally loved it and the big match atmosphere and remember the team spraying champagne from the Mayflower press gantry. I went much earlier but can’t recall clearly myself, games such as the Man City home semi final league cup draw the year before.

My first away was the following season to Southampton at The Dell on a Friday night. I was delighted that I got a glimpse picture on the TV highlights when Mick Channon fell against the section of pitch barrier where we were standing.

Finally a great landmark game for me was Peterborough Away in 1995 when I finally saw us win away as a 25 year old! This was made especially sweet , in that my Mancunian girlfriend of the time had threatened me with ‘its Plymouth Argyle or me! Ultimatum , if I dared go to that game instead of a day spent with her. Needless to say, I went to London Road! It sounds crazy, but the winning goal, a header by Kevin Nugent , seem to go in ‘slow motion’ as if to mark the monumental moment I had finally cracked, seeing us win away! The girlfriend eventually saw the funny side of it however we did get relegated that season.

Both my first game and the Peterborogh game were seasons when we wore ‘proper green’ and black stripes, and thats why I always yearn to see that as our ultimate kit. Don’t get me started on the terraces, bovril and our brilliant goals with the nets tied off the stanchions!