Your Argyle 'career' | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Your Argyle 'career'

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
oldage":1jv8wkio said:
I started supporting Argyle in 1964 but unfortunately cannot remember which division we were in! :facepalm:
We spent both the 63-64 and 64-65 campaigns in the old Second Division. The 63-64 was a perpetual relegation battle and we slipped out of the bottom 2 on the last day. 64--65 was famous for the arrival of Malcolm Allison and a 28 year old unheard of full back called Tony Book. We also broke the transfer record for a winger when we signed Barry Jones from Swansea for £45000.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
I've had a virtually life-long love affair with Plymouth and South Devon but only started watching Argyle while my son was at Plymouth Uni. I suppose my debut was the last match of 2008-09 (lost 0-1 to Barnsley). Since then three relegations and two promotions, I think.

I planned to move to the area in 2014 when I retired but circumstances conspired to the effect that we moved just 15 miles further west and still around 80 short of the "promised land". That hasn't changed the fact that I love my days out at Home Park. Argyle is a great club.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
I first went to the last home match in 1962 when Argyle lost 3-2 to the mighty Liverpool.....last time we ever played in the same league...we were a very good division 2 team in those days.........MM. He used to like being called Barrie Jones ....and Malcolm Allison then wanted to sign Francis Lee from Bolton who was available for £25K from Bolton to complete his squad.......but the Argyle board said No...so Manchester City signed him instead...and the rest is history...and that comes from Duncan Neale...

Graham Green

✨Pasoti Donor✨
May 26, 2010
Swindon
March 1968 Argyle 2 Blackpool 2 was my first game. Promptly got relegated that season. Apart from the well documented stuff I remember away at Bristol Rovers April 71winning 3-1 with the coaches arriving in the second half due to traffic and being shoved in the Tote end as we scored the third. Mayhem! Away to Blackpool 3rd Dec 96 2-2 again. Tuesday night with approximately 85 green army in a deserted wind blown town.
Buying beer from the kiosks at the back of the Lyndhurst while the game was on.
As mentioned previously the Devonport was where the action was and I was reluctantly allowed to go there as a teenager.

Mar 21, 2006
First game vs QPR Boxing Day 1968 I think - Rodney Marsh dived and Terry Venables scored the pen in a 0-1 home defeat. Was half a crown to stand in the Demport End as a tacker.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Graham Green":11l5bh0o said:
March 1968 Argyle 2 Blackpool 2 was my first game. Promptly got relegated that season. Apart from the well documented stuff I remember away at Bristol Rovers April 71winning 3-1 with the coaches arriving in the second half due to traffic and being shoved in the Tote end as we scored the third. Mayhem! Away to Blackpool 3rd Dec 96 2-2 again. Tuesday night with approximately 85 green army in a deserted wind blown town.
Buying beer from the kiosks at the back of the Lyndhurst while the game was on.
As mentioned previously the Devonport was where the action was and I was reluctantly allowed to go there as a teenager.
I remember your first Blackpool game well, well half of it anyway. A friend and I decided to cycle 15 miles to the game but it took longer than anticipated and we arrived at half time with the score 2 nil so only saw half the game and half the goals. I remember Jimmy Armfield and Gordon Milne being two of the more illustrious names in the Blackpool line up that day and the tangerine shirts were a novelty too.

Jan 30, 2016
In 1972 I moved to Plymouth from London having got a job in Texas Instruments. I was taken to Argyle by a guy called Charlie, a mould operator who was an avid Argyle fan. I attended almost every home game up to 1987 when I got made redundant with the closure of the TI site, I moved to Swindon but remained a supporter going to many away games as many clubs were within easy driving distance. Back to Paignton in 2008 for another career move and have been supporting them since.

I thought Larrieu was our best ever goalkeeper, have been privileged to see Mariner and Rafferty in action, loved the skills of Norris, Frio, Buszaky, Carey and Major, and enjoyed the determination of Nisbet and Uzzell at full back,
My highlights -going to Manchester United and West Brom.

The team now has its flaws but I think they will pull it together and improve.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
8 years old when visiting grandparents 1967 home to Pompey in division 2 which I think was a Tuesday night game then home to Villa on the Saturday 2-1 and 1-2 standard Argyle really! Moved to Plymouth in 1968 from West Somerset.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
PL2 3DQ":2lq9orko said:
I started supporting the Greens back in 1978, by the end of that 78/79 season we finished 15th in Division 3 (third tier), this season we are currently 17th in the third tier so basically I've dropped two places in 42 years! :lol:

I've seen six promotions and six relegations. My best finish was 7th in tier 2 (now the Championship) in 1986/1987.

What is your Argyle career?

Greens on Screen is your friend.

Exactly the same as yours Postie!

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Had followed Argyle's results as a youngster, but my football wacthing was very much local stuff.
Until the last game of the 82/83 season, I was taken to Home Park by my mate and his dad for THE Pompey (invasion) match.
The mayhem didn't put me off, and for the 83/84 season my second game was the Arsenal league cup match, over 20,000 there for an evening game under the floodlights, and it was hook, line and sinker! went home and negociated with mum and dad a way I could earn some pocket money to start going to home matches with my mates on the train from Lostwithiel.
83/84 was quite a momentous season for the club I seem to remember! If a 14/15 year old couldn't get hooked on live football that season, i'm not too sure what else would.
And what a career ever since. Lots of memorable moments. Some moments to forget (or try to anyway) some i can't really remember because we were living "for the moment".
But all in all, what really makes it is the people I've shared these moments with. Strangers who have become life long friends. Some sadly no longer with us, but when I think of them it still warms my heart despite the sadness. And its those people who I've missed during this period since that Macclesfield home match last march. I very much doubt i'll be able to see them at Home Park until the 2021/22 season I expect. But it's a flame and a hope that will keep me going through the early part of this new year.
#UTBA :scarf: :cool:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
mervyn":1ao44ba9 said:
Here’s a question. Became a supporter in 1983 after moving from Surrey. Over that time my wife has become convinced we have accumulated more promotions and relegations than any other club. Is she right. We must be a leading contender.

Argyle have had six promotions since 1983, equal with twenty other clubs.

Hull City, Swindon Town and Wolves have all had seven in that time.

Leading the way though are Cardiff City who have had eight.

If you add relegations, Argyle are on 11, along with 12 other clubs. There are 7 clubs on 12, 7 more on 13 but leading the way are Sunderland on 14 and Cardiff City 15.

Lundan Cabbie":37qc4tp5 said:
mervyn":37qc4tp5 said:
Here’s a question. Became a supporter in 1983 after moving from Surrey. Over that time my wife has become convinced we have accumulated more promotions and relegations than any other club. Is she right. We must be a leading contender.

Argyle have had six promotions since 1983, equal with twenty other clubs.

Hull City, Swindon Town and Wolves have all had seven in that time.

Leading the way though are Cardiff City who have had eight.

If you add relegations, Argyle are on 11, along with 12 other clubs. There are 7 clubs on 12, 7 more on 13 but leading the way are Sunderland on 14 and Cardiff City 15.

Thank you LC

May 29, 2011
Bristol
I grew up in the Plymouth area and went to a few games with my Dad. My first game was against Preston, probably in about 1982? Around this time we stood on the Lyndhurst terraces and I was aware of what seemed like hundreds of people who stood to my left who seemed to spend the whole game goading the away fans (and even throwing umbrellas at them!)

When I started to become interested in football as a young boy, I was a Villa fan as they were doing really well in the early 80's. They played a friendly at Argyle and I was mesmerised watching my heroes like Gary Shaw and Mark Walters. I was even mascot for Villa at Argyle and met the likes of Nigel Spink.

We then moved to Cornwall and for a couple of seasons (1989/90?) my Dad and I travelled up to most home games
But Argyle were not yet 'in my blood'. This happened when I went to University in Salford. I went to Stockport v Argyle for my first away experience. This was a great way of maintaining my south west identity when surrounded by Mancs and Scousers. The match was a cracker. Argyle had Alan Nicholls sent off but still won 4-2. Richard Landon scored a couple, from memory.
I then got the bug and started following Argyle at away matches at places like Blackpool, Mansfield, Doncaster, Huddersfield, Chester etc.

I moved to London in 1996 and started to see Argyle at some new grounds, like Brentford, Barnet, Southend, Watford, Peterborough, Fulham, Luton etc.

After a few years in Bristol I returned to London and watched some great away games in the Halmosi/Paul Gallagher era at places like QPR, Watford, Crystal Palace, Charlton and the League Cup game at West Ham. That era was probably my favourite as we were on the up, had some exciting players and seemed to be a well run community club.
I remember low points being away at Huddersfield when (I think) Hodges was in charge and we just looked so weak against a side that had Andy Booth up front. Also, away at Southend when we had Lee Power up front and we were losing 3-0 and the away fans were calling for the final whistle to put us out of our misery.

I'm now back in Bristol and the Memorial Ground has probably become my most visited away ground.

lien60

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2006
plymouth
I was born in plymouth but moved a couple of times due to family so the first argyle game i can remember going to was the early 80's game against pompey when there was all the trouble that was on a visit to plymouth to see relatives. I then moved back to plymouth during the fa cup run but missed the trip to villa park. I started regularly going in the dave smith promotion season and have been going since