Your Argyle 'career' | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Your Argyle 'career'

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
oddball":2pnut71f said:
SG....GOS doesn't make that proviso though ......it says,it provides a data base for every Argyle player...and Dudley Barry was most certainly an Argyle player...
He came to Argyle the samectime as Mike Trebilcock and was unlucky not to make the grade in the 1st team. He had a very successful career in non league with Weymouth and Bideford from memory and I think he managed as well.

Steve Dean

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
oddball":2jfcf5wp said:
IJN....have a look at the Data page where it says this is a data base for every srgyle player

If you could tell me where is says that, Oddball, I'll correct it to stress that it's first team only (as IJN says). To include reserves, P&D, youth etc would be impossible because there are no such records.

Mar 14, 2009
I honestly have no idea. I’m guessing my first game would of been around the late 80’s.

For some reason the relegation battle against Oxford where we won but still went down in the 91-92 season sticks in memory.

The Dwight Marshall overhead kick at the start of that same season sticks in my head too against Barnsley on opening day of the season.

I remember players such as Leigh Cooper but just can’t remember the games.

I can recall more relegations than promotions. I don’t have any memories of promotion in ‘84 so the relegation in ‘91 was my first Argyle experience.

‘96 was my best day as an Argyle fan. Winning at Wembley for the first time was amazing.

However, nothing will beat winning the Championships we did under Sturrock. That will stay with me forever. We didn’t have any superstars but we were such a great team unit.

Biggest disappointment wasn’t the relegations but the playoff semi final defeat at HP against Burnley. John Francis just had the pace to beat our slow back line. I feel we still owe Burnley especially after that fixture at turf moor where they relegated us out of league one in a last day of the season winner takes all battle.

Maybe stupid to say but l do feel our time is coming.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
jerryatricjanner":29wlciof said:
oddball":29wlciof said:
SG....GOS doesn't make that proviso though ......it says,it provides a data base for every Argyle player...and Dudley Barry was most certainly an Argyle player...
He came to Argyle the samectime as Mike Trebilcock and was unlucky not to make the grade in the 1st team. He had a very successful career in non league with Weymouth and Bideford from memory and I think he managed as well.
His name cropped up on here 5 years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=91379

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
oddball":3qflhghj said:
memory man":3qflhghj said:
oddball":3qflhghj said:
I first went to the last home match in 1962 when Argyle lost 3-2 to the mighty Liverpool.....last time we ever played in the same league...we were a very good division 2 team in those days.........MM. He used to like being called Barrie Jones ....and Malcolm Allison then wanted to sign Francis Lee from Bolton who was available for £25K from Bolton to complete his squad.......but the Argyle board said No...so Manchester City signed him instead...and the rest is history...and that comes from Duncan Neale...
many thanks for correcting me about Barrie Jones. I'm glad you knew who I meant.
MM ....the reason that I pointed it out was because back in the 60's there was a player called Dudley Barry at HP whom you probably have heard of if not met....yet there is no record of him if you enter player search on GOS.....weird....
For some reason the smile emoji didnt appear on my response. I do speak to Dudley Barry from time to time. The reason he doesnt appear on GOS is that he never made a first team appearance. Imho he is perhaps the best reserve never to have played for the first team. But as a wing half he was in a queue behind Johnny William's and Johnny Newman. We then signed Duncan and even he became frustrated at being overlooked. Dudley was very successful at Weymouth (with Alex Jackson) and later did very well as manager at Bideford - where he still lives.

Aug 5, 2015
First visit was against Stoke in the early 1960s when Stanley Matthews had just retired from Blackpool and decided to turn out for his home town club instead. Still had it in his 40s. Didn’t watch them regularly till 1968 as my Dad got a three and a half year posting to Singapore. We had just been relegated to division three and failed spectacularly to set it alight until Waiters and Mariner came along.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
A couple of weeks after my thirteenth birthday my Dad took me out to Home Park for the first time. I still can't recall whether this was at my request or a moment of inspiration on his part, but it achieved the same result - and changed my outlook on life forever.

It was the 25th of February 1967 and I believe it was intended as a belated birthday treat. Argyle were home to Huddersfield Town. I was entranced from the moment we approached the ground. With the exception of going shopping with my Mum I had never before experienced the throng of so many people in one place. And they were almost totally men. The heady aroma of beer and tobacco in a testosterone-fuelled atmosphere was completely new to me and I was both intimidated and excitedly motivated in equal measure. Most of the men (of all ages) were either smoking, dressed in a suit, wearing a hat or all three. This can be confirmed by studying any photograph of a football crowd in the mid 1960s.

I stood there watching in fascination as the men hustled past each other on the concrete path outside the main turnstiles; listening to their jokey, earthy banter and the regular cry of the programme or hot-dog sellers. I didn't know it at the time but I was being ordained into an unspoken, lifetime fellowship which was impossible to abandon. It has often been said that it's easier to change your wife rather than your football team - and I am living testimony to that.

Apart from the scoreline – we lost 3-2 – nothing stands out in my mind about the match itself. I can’t remember the goals or the goal scorers but what I cannot forget is the buzz and sense of intense belonging that I experienced then and, in varying degrees, ever since. Having witnessed a losing match one could be mistaken for assuming that a young man would have been put off returning to ‘The Theatre of Greens’. Far from it. I had tasted ‘the forbidden fruit’ and my life would never be the same again.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Aside from the football one of my earliest memories of Home Park was the smell of cigarette smoke amongst the fans, especially on the lower Mayflower terrace where the smoke hung like a cloud over the fans. :lol:

Oct 2, 2017
Much shorter Argyle career than many on here. Came to Devon in 2016 for work, took up season ticket immediately and been to just about every home game possible since. This is my 5th season, and already seen 2 promotions and a relegation, so I can't say it's not exciting! Been a pleasure to see the likes of Carey, Lameiras, Sarcevic, Bradley, Mayor and so on, and met many friendly members of the Green Army.
Favourite games? 6-1 v Newport to clinch promotion in 2017 and running Liverpool so close in that replay!

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
I was a late starter. Grew up in Hayle but my dad wasn’t much of a football fan. His brothers were. My old man is Northern Irish and his brothers would - like thousands of others - get the ferry over to watch Man Utd and stand on the Stretford End in the 70s. So I grew up getting Utd shirts and scarves and badges for Christmas from them and was an armchair Utd fan. We moved from Hayle to Gloucestershire and occasionally I’d see Hereford or Bristol City (the season they were in the top flight) but overall, watched very little live football. Moved to Tavistock in 1998 to work in Plymouth and as a leaving gift from my old workplace got tickets to see Argyle at home to Swansea on a Tuesday night. Under Kevin Hodges. A pasty and a few thousand West Country accents and I was hooked.

Never looked back since. Saw the Sturrock promotions and when I moved back to Gloucestershire I now follow Argyle around the country with my son, who took in his first game v Preston at age of 5. Like many dads on here, my relationship with my son has been forged on train or car journeys to see Argyle. On terraces. In cafes and pubs on the way to the ground. In places to eat in Plymouth when we stay over and chew over the game and the food. Highlights are the promotions. Lowlights, Stourbridge away and Wembley. But the biggest positive is time spent with my son, and the shared - often irrational - passion for it all.

Oh, and my Utd supporting Uncle now has an Argyle shirt and follows our results religiously. When this nonsense is over he’s promised to come over from Norn Iron and take in a game

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
PL2 3DQ":21gz76es said:
Aside from the football one of my earliest memories of Home Park was the smell of cigarette smoke amongst the fans, especially on the lower Mayflower terrace where the smoke hung like a cloud over the fans. :lol:
The smell of smoke, beer, bovril, hot food etc, the packed ground under the floodlights and the big match atmosphere (no loud music in them days) was a joy to my senses for my second Home Park experience against Arsenal (20983 thanks GOS).
We stood in the Devonport/mayflower corner for that match.
As I said, I went home after the game totally spellbound by the experience and agreed with mum and dad that I could go to the next match with a few of my mates.
11 days later, Oxford at home in division 3 in front of 2990 :lol:
I was hooked though.

Bovey Green lady

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
davie nine":1hmntcyy said:
I started watching Argyle in 1956 but the first game that I remember was in January,1958 when we lost 6-1 to Newcastle in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. They had Simpson in goal, Stokoe and Scoular in defence and Eastham in midfield.
Despite a lot of disappointments, I caught the ‘bug’ and it has never gone away.
If there was a vaccine do get rid of it, I would refuse to take it whatever league we are in.
I remember that game, Davie nine. We were seated on bales of straw in the space between the fence and the pitch! Just imagine trying to get that sanctioned today! That wasn't my first match, I began watching Argyle in 1955, when my Father retired from the military and moved to take up a job in Plymouth. Luckily for me, both my Father and Mother were football fans(my Dad having been good enough to represent the Army in Army -v-Navy matches) so there was no question of not supporting Argyle . Also, my Mother had taught in Plymouth in the late 1920's/ early 30,s and had been a regular at Home Park, so I grew up on stories of the "Greats" like Sammy Black, Jack Leslie and Moses Russell! So began a lifetime of joys and disappointments. Probably more of the latter, if I'm honest, but that only made the joyful moments all the sweeter!

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
In my day it was the smell of linament....guess I am showing my age....

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
I have a confession. Argyle were not my first love. My father and grandfather were QPR fans, my Dad being born next to one of the 19 grounds the R's played at. My first season was the 1966-67 season which saw Rangers win the Third Division and famously beat WBA 3-2 in the first Wembley final of the League club. In 1976 I saw the team come within 13 minutes of winning the First Division. Living in South London all my mates were Palace fans but I regularly made the trip to stand in the Loftus Road end. I had the most privileged football upbringing regularly watching the likes of Rodney Marsh, Stan Bowles, Tony Currie. It didn't get any better than that .... or so I thought.

I moved down to Plymouth for a job with the City Council in 1982. My first game was Argyle v Everton as a charity game for the Falklands War. Argyle lost 4-2. However, I stood on the lower Mayflower Terrace just to the side of the tunnel. I had never been so close to the action. Over the years I stood there, arriving early to secure a barrier to lean against. The banter was brilliant - every bit as sharp (and abusive) as I had experienced on the terraces in South and West London. I loved it - this was the real football experience. You could even look up and see the Chairman and Directors peering over from their security of the Director's Box whilst giving them what for - it was a sort of surreal 'us' and 'them' but little did I know the club were to learn the hard way that such a way of ownership would only end in tears in the chase for the impossible dream - one that I had already experienced but had failed to make the imprint on my life one might expect.

So in nearly 40 years living in Plymouth I have learnt whether it is by accident, design or adoption it is not just what the club gives you it is what you give the club that creates the unbreakable bond. Argyle are not just representative of the City but Cornwall and beyond with a huge exiled fan base. This was most ably demonstrated in 2011 when we fought for the existence of the Club fearful of the loss that may result. Thankfully, the City Council. James Brent, the GTs and perhaps most importantly the Green Army unified and mobilised to save the Club. It is 10 years ago now and after a flirtation with falling out of the League altogether we now have an ownership model, values, set up on and off the pitch and a stadium that we can all be proud of. It is something I simply thought I'd never see.

More importantly than that I can say that upon mature reflection of my football 'career' that being part of the Green Army is my most valued and treasured football experience, even though it is an adopted one.