Your best ever read, or the book that changed your mind. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Your best ever read, or the book that changed your mind.

Jul 7, 2008
Plymouth/Bristol
Anything by Bret Easton Ellis or Chuck Palahniuk.

If you’re someone who hasn’t read the Harry Potter books I’d also suggest that they’re rightfully popular for a reason and should be swiftly consumed. They’re pure magic and the quickest ~700 page reads I’ve ever had.

Bovey Green lady

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
Only book I've read several times (and topical) is "A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian", by Marina Lewycka.

It's a celebration of growing old disgracefully and deeply funny.
Oh yes! "Civilised persons cooker is gas, is brown". "Civilised persons car is Rrolls Rroyce"!

bd1981

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 23, 2022
Plymouth
I have always been a Stephen King fan and so, so many great books made into films: The Green Mile (read as a 5 part miniseries from memory) The Shawshank Redemption and The Stand are my favourites...

Agree with the Bill Bryson comments too - only author or person to make me reverse snort tea through my nose on a train...

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
As a kid I really enjoyed Treasure Island and Robinson Crusoe.
As an adult, I usually read non-fiction, mostly history books, of which I would recommend 'Homage to Catalonia' by Orwell - his first hand account of the civil war. Also 'Catastrophe: Europe Goes to War 1914' by Max Hastings is excellent.
As for fiction, I have thoroughly enjoyed the following:
On The Road (Kerouac), Lord of the Rings (Tolkein), Don Quixote (Cervantes - heavy going at times). I have just started 'Moby Dick' (Melville), which seems promising, not sure why I've never read it before.
I have enjoyed all of CJ Sansom's works, especially the excellent Shardlake series (historical fiction).
Finally, as a bit of a cartoonist/caricaturist myself, I liked Raymond Briggs efforts and the great Asterix books.
There are, doubtless, many many more that I can't recall at this moment.

Reactions: Belfast Green
Jun 1, 2011
I have always been a Stephen King fan and so, so many great books made into films: The Green Mile (read as a 5 part miniseries from memory) The Shawshank Redemption and The Stand are my favourites...

Agree with the Bill Bryson comments too - only author or person to make me reverse snort tea through my nose on a train...
To add a twist to the debate, I'd say that the Shawshank Redemption is the only film I've seen which surpasses the book.

As for books, not a life-changer, but proving that you can enjoy a work despite what you think of the author, one of favourites is still The Day of the Jackal (Frederick Forsyth).

Reactions: Alviverde
Dec 9, 2012
Bill Bryson at his best can be hilarious. His description of 'How To Be A Pigeon' from 'Noted From A Small Island' had me in stitches.

Orwell's lesser known books are well worth a read. 'Coming Up For Air' tells the story of a man who visits the town of his birth and childhood, only to find it has changed beyond recognition.
As an exile, pretty resonant!

I can be lazy* when it comes to reading, so will knock off a lot of lightweight crime books or sports publications. Very few in either genre will change the world, but occasionally you get a gem. I recently read 'Beryl: In Search of Britain's Greatest Athlete'. If you don't know about Beryl Burton and her domination of cycling, it's a fascinating read.

*Saying that, I have just moved onto 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand. At over 1,100 pages, it'll take a while. Thought I'd have a crack at it after reading 'The Fountainhead'. Her style won't be for everyone though.

M

Reactions: Belfast Green

Bernie Bernbaum

Pasoti Quiz Champions
May 29, 2015
Just yesterday my wife’s cousin, a lecturer at Barcelona University, has had published a book on Orwell’s experiences in the Spanish Civil war.
Is his surname Lloyd?

Homage To Catalonia is one of my favourites. I've always had a keen interest in the Spanish Civil War, particularly the role of the International Brigades.

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
My Uncle Oswald by Roald Dahl.

Definitely not one of his kids books! 😂 But a great read and very funny.

Alviverde

🇧🇷🇧🇷🇧🇷🇧🇷🇧🇷🇧🇷
Dec 5, 2021
"A Perfect Heresy" Stephen O'Shea
"Orientalism" Edward Said