This is not a Derby-we don't hate Argyle | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

This is not a Derby-we don't hate Argyle

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i don't hate pompey or exeter for examples.we all support our teams and we are all real.not plastics who latch onto clubs with big spending ability.good luck to you in the semis and i hope the team that deserves to get to wembley does.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
I feel the same as Steve, other than I hope we get to Wembley, whether we deserve it or not. :scarf:

Jan 7, 2013
The hooligan element in the late 80's particularly from Portsmouth tells a different story.. didn't they bring thousands down taking over most of the ground attacking any Argyle fan in sight! I think this still sticks in a lot of people's mind's.
We haven't played them enough over the years for this rivalry to continue so most of the newer generation (me included at 32) haven't really seen any of this, but have heard the stories.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
the hooligans of the eighties were virtually all clubs mate.bournemouth were particularly bad along with everton and chelsea to mention just three.i want to add that argyle had plenty of scroates as well!!!

C

Cobi Budge.

I love the games between Argyle & Pompey. Far more passionate & fiery than our 'derby' games against Exeter.

Apr 13, 2016
OK. Pompey were notorious in the 70s and 80s. Even had books written about their exploits by Cass pennant from West hams firm.
Thankfully, although those fans are older and still around the violence that followed Pompey does not now get associated with the club.
Having said that, no one in Pompey would want other teams fans taking liberties on our own patch. Coventry were the last to try it and the return fixture was something not seen by us as regulars since the 80s.
I was a skate based in Plymouth and took a coppers kid to the games because his dad couldn't being on duty. Those were the days of Nelson and the great Tommy Tynan!
Pompey obviously smashed the number of fans taken that year by any team by bringing 10000 to home park.
The games themselves are always entertaining and full blooded. Long may it continue.
Safe journey and good games

C

Cult Of Personality

Don't get the derby thing

Pompey vs saints is there Derby

Argyle vs Exeter is ours

Mar 8, 2016
Well we are not in the 80's anymore, there is probably many story's involving other clubs to. This is defiantly not a derby match but the media seem intent on labelling it "battle of the ports" or "dockyard derby" I have no feeling towards prompy, they are a good club and to be honest would much prefer this was the final, as Wembley would be a near sell out for a league two fixture.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I've seen plenty of so-called "Dockyard Derbies". The rivalry has been MoD related more than football rivalry.

I've always had a healthy respect for Pompey fans, like many others (Leeds, Newcastle etc) they are good fans who in the main have always stuck by their team. Their home attendances have always been more than ours on average, with the gap widening since their stint in the PL.

Of course we always want to win, but I don't think the word "hate" Pompey are actually relevant or accurate in most Argyle fans eyes. I think we are a wee bit jealous of their success in cup and league of course and we all admit to a smug smile when it went south. However, as Popeye or someone else said, we've both been victims of decisions taken by our respective Board Rooms.

Let the best team win I say.

PS Can't stand Gary Roberts though :greensmile: and the 5 v 1 win at Fratton is with me till I die !

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
PAFC94":2tfuyrpu said:
It's not a Derby game.

There has always been something 'special' about it though.

Possibly something to do with the Portsmouth people living in Plymouth and the reverse.

It's certainly THE biggest game in this league.

N

newquaygreen

IJN":dmvrwz8x said:
PAFC94":dmvrwz8x said:
It's not a Derby game.

There has always been something 'special' about it though.

Possibly something to do with the Portsmouth people living in Plymouth and the reverse.

It's certainly THE biggest game in this league.

Lets hope its not to be repeated any time soon and Pompey have a fixture against Exeter next season :scarf:

Apr 13, 2016
IJN.
When I pointed out to an Oxford fan who thought Oxford Pompey was the biggest game I had to point this game out as bigger.
Not happy was an understatement, you'd have thought I'd been carrying on with his wife!